Four big things wrong with the Obama Dream Act Amnesty

Original intent as defined by Scalia is not mainstream. I suspect Romney will nominate more mainstream individuals to SCOTUS. There will be no more Scalias, Alitos, Thomases, etc.

The Tenth Amendment has more vitality than you may suspect, especially with the current U.S. Supreme Court. What has "immigration" to do with the issue of school funding? Incidentally, you may be surprised by the Supreme Court's ruling on the Arizona statute designed to deal with the federal government's complete failure to defend the borders. As Justice Scalia pointed out in questioning during oral argument, what is "sovereignty" if an entity can't defend its borders?

The correct question is "what does education have to do with immigration", since the latter is greater than the former. Scalia is an extremist who is out of touch with mainstream Constitutional intepretation; he will need a majority to make his exceptionalism mainstream. I suspect he will fail.

I suspect that President Romney will appoint like-minded Justices, dedicated to Original Intent.

Okay, I don't care who y'all are, that right there is funny.

:lmao:

Original intent as defined by Scalia is not mainstream. I suspect Romney will nominate more mainstream individuals to SCOTUS. There will be no more Scalias, Alitos, Thomases, etc.

Who defines what is "mainstream"? The New York Times? National Public Radio? Original Intent, as the name suggests, is an attempt to discern the intent of the framers of the Constitution, as opposed to the "living Constitution" theory of the liberals. As you suggest, who is nominated to the Supreme Court is an imponderable, necessarily a speculative exercise.

[

Plyler v Doe struck down a Texas law because it violated the 14th amendment's equal protection clause. It was a close vote (5-4), but they got it right when the majority opinion stated:
under current laws and practices, "the illegal alien of today may well be the legal alien of tomorrow," and that, without an education, these undocumented children, "already disadvantaged as a result of poverty, lack of English-speaking ability, and undeniable racial prejudices, . . . will become permanently locked into the lowest socio-economic class."

HAHAHAHA. So now you want to give rights to illegals cause "who knows - maybe someday they'll be legal".!!!

Anyway, my main point stands. Education is never mentioned in the constitution so by the tenth amendment it's a state matter.

It's my understanding that education would fall under the 14th amendment's equal protection clause. Every ruling under SCOTUS that sought to remedy a class' educational issues that I've found so far has referred back to it. Even local District Courts and state Supreme Courts have used both the 14th amendment and Article VI, section 2 of the constitution to resolve these problems.

(Understand that I haven't had time to study this exhaustively, but I haven't run across a ruling yet which doesn't come back to one of these points.)

Who defines what is "mainstream"? The New York Times? National Public Radio? Original Intent, as the name suggests, is an attempt to discern the intent of the framers of the Constitution, as opposed to the "living Constitution" theory of the liberals. As you suggest, who is nominated to the Supreme Court is an imponderable, necessarily a speculative exercise.

'Original Intent' of the Founders is merely a guide, nothing more. The Constitution of the Founders imposed slavery, and the states generally excluded blacks and women almost always from voting. No one want slave holders or their supporters governing this nation today. Or folks who supported child labor. You can't hold back the peoples' will.

No one who is center and right of center worries about wacks like Scalia or Alito.

Last edited:
No one who is center and right of center worries about wacks like Scalia or Alito.

Is this you whole 'thing' now? You're just going to repeat this "I'm mainstream and everyone else is radical!" bit in every fucking post? Have your talking points come down to just this little put-on? No one believes you are anything but a far-left liberal doing a little performance here, and no one is going to believe otherwise no matter how many times you repeat the act.

I have nothing to respond to, Unkotare. When you give evidence on your OP, I can respond.

And there is no question my opinions are mainstream whereas yours are not or you would show the evidence.

Your problem, kiddo, not mine.

No one of importance is buying you, bubba.

And the trolls of the far right can't provide the evidence they are mainstream.

Have the last words for the evening, guys, I am spending time with my better half.

"Mainstream! Mainstream! Awk! Polly Wanna Cracker! Mainstream! Awk!"

:rolleyes:

[

Anyway, my main point stands. Education is never mentioned in the constitution so by the tenth amendment it's a state matter.

It's my understanding that education would fall under the 14th amendment's equal protection clause. .)

Equal protection????????????? The 14A says the states cannot "deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws". Education is NOT part of any law!! Case closed.

ShootSpenders does not sit on SCOTUS. End of any importance to his comments.

No one of importance is buying you, bubba.

And the trolls of the far right can't provide the evidence they are mainstream.

Have the last words for the evening, guys, I am spending time with my better half.

This whole "mainstream" rhetoric is just lazy. No thinking involved; whatever liberal media outlets tell me, is the truth. The point of having a marketplace of ideas is test ideas out and debate them. You know what you typically find down the "middle of the road"? Road kill.

The worst problem with the dream act is that while there are benefits to encourage attending college, there is no requirement of graduation. People can attend college for years, suck up all the student loans and grants they can get their sticky hands on, and then drop out and complain that being stuck with payback is unfair.

The worst problem with the dream act is that while there are benefits to encourage attending college, there is no requirement of graduation. People can attend college for years, suck up all the student loans and grants they can get their sticky hands on, and then drop out and complain that being stuck with payback is unfair.

Yes indeed - illegals will scam this system like they do everything. Our policy should be to enforce the law and deport everyone know to be here illegally - no exceptions.

The far righters can't offer anything at all to counter the executive order and MR's coming moderate immigration reform program.

no one is getting amnesty, they will get work permits

We are merely parsing words if we argue about "amnesty". If illegal immigrants get work permits, that is one more step towards permanent presence. I enjoy L.A. Times articles about people who graduated with advanced degrees from UCLA and now can't work because they are illegal immigrants. Which begs the question: why were they admitted to UCLA in the first place, to the exclusion of a citizen applicant?
Exactly! They should bring charges against the University.

Forum List

Back