Foundations In Faith

HUGGY

I Post Because I Care
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle at large...Ballard lately
Why is it so difficult for those of "Faith" to, at some point in their lives, re-examine the foundations of their faith.

Born again is not a re-evaluation of religion....We are not talking about simply agreeing to confirm what you already believe.

The churches have had to back peddle several times over the centuries to account for science. They have in fact had to re-examine their own foundations. These enlightenment's have resulted in a change of the interpretations previously held sacred.

Point being that even at the top there has been numerous precedent of the practice of religion taking another honest look at itself. Why then is it so forbidden for the individual to stop somewhere along their life and take an honest hard look at what they believe.

Do you as a Christian or a Muslim ever take another look at your religion?

Why do you presume we've never reexamined it?

Moreover, you claim to not have had spiritual experiences. Why on earth should I discount my personal experiences because your lack thereof? If you question whether math exists, and I understand geometry, why the heck should i continually ask whether math exists because you don't put in the effort to understand? And why should I listen to someone who admits they have no knowledge and experience in the matter as some sort of authority on the matter?

It's not like God is preventing any of us from coming to know Him. It just requires effort and open mindedness.

Why do you presume we've never reexamined it?

Moreover, you claim to not have had spiritual experiences. Why on earth should I discount my personal experiences because your lack thereof? If you question whether math exists, and I understand geometry, why the heck should i continually ask whether math exists because you don't put in the effort to understand? And why should I listen to someone who admits they have no knowledge and experience in the matter as some sort of authority on the matter?

It's not like God is preventing any of us from coming to know Him. It just requires effort and open mindedness.

What makes you think I have no knowledge on the subject? Just because I reject it totally? Does that have to mean I haven't read ALL of the commonly known references to the Christians, Mormons and Muslims? Obviously since I labored through those books nearly 40, 10 and 40 years ago respectively I don't remember much of it word for word. If you read War and Peace 40 years ago you probably couldn't quote any of it either. You would still remember what the book was about.

But this thread isn't about me as you obviously missed the point. The POINT is that organized religion has had to re think much of what it once believed and even tortured and murdered people for not subscribing to. The Muslims still kill other Muslims for not adhering to their interpretations of the supposed words of Mohammad and according to him god.

I have noticed that some cling mindlessly to "faith" as the answer to everything they do not personally agree with in their religion. They do not question obvious nonsense even though the church has called bullshit on its own teachings from time to time. So do these followers have more "faith" than the Pope?

I think this is an honest question looking at religion as a whole and how it has changed at the top. It seems to me that all scripture interpretation by the leaders of the churches must be perfect according to many. So it begs the question why the apology to Galileo? If he was wrong ..then he was wrong.

Or do you endorse re-evaluating what you have faith in?

This is why I do not put trust in anything a 'church', 'priest', or 'pastor' teaches. I study the Word and pray for understanding. I rely on what the Lord draws me to believe. NOT what the 'Pope' or anyone else tells me I should believe.

Oh so you've read these books now? Amazing considering that less than a year ago you complained about how reading was a waste of time. In fact, we had a long detailed subject about it.

Have you or have you not had an experience with the Spiritual? If you have, why deny it? And if not then who the heck are you to lecture the rest of us on your lack of knowledge?

This is why I do not put trust in anything a 'church', 'priest', or 'pastor' teaches. I study the Word and pray for understanding. I rely on what the Lord draws me to believe. NOT what the 'Pope' or anyone else tells me I should believe.

It's best no to trust in the priests alone OR yourself alone. There's room for both. Get to much into your own interpretation and you can get out on a limb like Koresh or others. It doesn't hurt to get the perspective of those who've spent their whole lives studying the subject.

Oh so you've read these books now? Amazing considering that less than a year ago you complained about how reading was a waste of time. In fact, we had a long detailed subject about it.

Have you or have you not had an experience with the Spiritual? If you have, why deny it? And if not then who the heck are you to lecture the rest of us on your lack of knowledge?

Yes., Don't believe everything you think you see on the internet. Sometimes I exaggerate when making a point. Even a metaphor is a form of exaggeration. Try not to get lost. I believe I said I write more than I read. That is a ridiculous statement in that writing requires about a hundred times more reading(proofing, editing and researching) than writing.

In my late teens and early twenties I did exhaustive investigation into the philosophies and religions. I developed my own path after looking into what other people subscribed to. I was also brought up a protestant episcopalian and attended church including bible classes from age birth til I was 14. This was not by choice but I went along with it for the sake of peace in my family. For you to try to make this thread about your opinion about my lack of knowledge is a shallow diversion from the question I pose in the OP.

If you cannot conduct a responsible discussion because I am a formidable opponent to your faith just admit it or don't participate.

Do I attack organized religion? Of course I do. With a vengeance. Am I doing that on this thread? No..I am attempting to look at the bigger picture of re-evaluation within religion and point out that it is a historical fact that is juxtaposed to the blind faith of the followers.

Why is it so difficult for those of "Faith" to, at some point in their lives, re-examine the foundations of their faith.

Born again is not a re-evaluation of religion....We are not talking about simply agreeing to confirm what you already believe.

The churches have had to back peddle several times over the centuries to account for science. They have in fact had to re-examine their own foundations. These enlightenment's have resulted in a change of the interpretations previously held sacred.

Point being that even at the top there has been numerous precedent of the practice of religion taking another honest look at itself. Why then is it so forbidden for the individual to stop somewhere along their life and take an honest hard look at what they believe.

Hiya. In regard for examining my religion, well firstly please know for me it's my actual relationship with the Lord. But you see it HAS to be about re-evaluting my relationship with Him. If I even try to question Who He is, He always reminds me that He is indeed God, and this is by His Spirit. And this is something that He does as any loving Father would do, but only He alone can do in regard with what you are asking. He is constantly showing me His love.

I'll try to explain more. For me, if anything, it's more about examining myself if I'm being in the faith in Jesus Christ, which to every account, again, the Lord always reminds me. He strengthens me, guides me, corrects me, comforts me and reminds me through His Word. One of the Names of Jesus Christ is the Word of God. Faith comes through the message, and the message through Jesus Christ.....so for me, believing in His Word is very important.

I can share some verses here in regard to testing if we are in the faith...

2 Corinthians 13
1 This will be the third time I am coming to you. “By the mouth of two or three witnesses every word shall be established.”
2 I have told you before, and foretell as if I were present the second time, and now being absent I write to those who have sinned before, and to all the rest, that if I come again I will not spare—
3 since you seek a proof of Christ speaking in me, who is not weak toward you, but mighty in you.
4 For though He was crucified in weakness, yet He lives by the power of God. For we also are weak in Him, but we shall live with Him by the power of God toward you.
5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.
6 But I trust that you will know that we are not disqualified.

So I don't think I can answer it in the way you are thinking or wanting. I mean, I know that God is God, that He created us. This isn't something that I knew on my own. It's by His Spirit. But until someone has His Spirit, they won't know - it is impossible by themselves, but only possible with God Himself. That is what is meant by "born again" or the new birth. It's all of Him. Upon belief in Jesus Christ our Lord, is when someone is "born again" by His Spirit. All of sudden we "know" that Jesus Christ is Lord of all. That He came in the flesh, that He died for our sins. (Words cannot describe this experience) And this can happen at any time with a person also. I was 31 years old - so much later in life. He knows our hearts and if we're just "lost" and seeking, or if we actually are rebelling against Him, hardening our hearts against Him...like Satan did. Here is verse where it shows about being born again, and it could happen like the "wind".

John 3:8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

To try to share more, these verses say:
Deuteronomy 4:28 There you will worship man-made gods of wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or eat or smell. 29 But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul.

That is a promise from God. He is God, so He knows our heart and if/when we are truly seeking Him. It can't be "fake" - God knows if we are being dishonest, even when we don't realize we are. He knows if we are truly seeking the truth and wanting to know God. He has promised we will find Him when we seek Him. I'd personally encourage anyone, to ask God themselves with full heart, any question themselves - for it's only by Him this revelation can come about. We may not get the answer we think we will, but if we ask Him things such as," God, is Jesus Christ the truth as the Bible says? Is He the only way? Is He Savior to the world?" (He will know if we already are doubting, but if we really want to know, be prepared..for as He promised, He WILL answer) He is God, not a man, that He would ever lie.

After that, and knowing He is God, it is an ongoing relationship - our whole lives. Our Father, our Teacher, our Mentor, our Comfortor, our Guide, our Lord, our everything. I am always getting corrected and humbled from Him for pride, sin, wrong doing, even lack of faith at times. Not faith that He is Who He is, but lack of faith of what He is doing or why He is doing it. To just trust Him.

Even in the Bible there are so many instances where they lacked faith in what God was doing. He had to correct them so many times. At one point, Jesus even told them,
(I'm paraphrasing here..) "Jow long must I put up with you?!" LOL

Luke 9:37 Now it happened on the next day, when they had come down from the mountain, that a great multitude met Him.
38 Suddenly a man from the multitude cried out, saying, “Teacher, I implore You, look on my son, for he is my only child.
39 And behold, a spirit seizes him, and he suddenly cries out; it convulses him so that he foams at the mouth; and it departs from him with great difficulty, bruising him. 40 So I implored Your disciples to cast it out, but they could not.”
41 Then Jesus answered and said, “O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you and bear with you? Bring your son here

I laugh when I read that because it shows so much how we are. That's our fallen state, a "sin" nature - to rebel against Him; to lack in faith, as we are weak, and He is strong. He knows it and it is why He sent Jesus Christ to cover our sins. We couldn't do it ourselves. All He did and His LOVE covers a multitude of sins, and makes us know His love, start to heal, forgive, and love like He does. (oy, but we fall short , oh yes) I thank Jesus Christ so much for all He has done, even for forgiving me when I ask Him to forgive me for lack of faith.

Hope that helps with what I shared. Sorry for any typos..I gotta run here, started to rush. Take care.

Hiya. In regard for examining my religion, well firstly please know for me it's my actual relationship with the Lord. But you see it HAS to be about re-evaluting my relationship with Him. If I even try to question Who He is, He always reminds me that He is indeed God, and this is by His Spirit. And this is something that He does as any loving Father would do, but only He alone can do in regard with what you are asking. He is constantly showing me His love.

I'll try to explain more. For me, if anything, it's more about examining myself if I'm being in the faith in Jesus Christ, which to every account, again, the Lord always reminds me. He strengthens me, guides me, corrects me, comforts me and reminds me through His Word. One of the Names of Jesus Christ is the Word of God. Faith comes through the message, and the message through Jesus Christ.....so for me, believing in His Word is very important.

I can share some verses here in regard to testing if we are in the faith...

2 Corinthians 13
1 This will be the third time I am coming to you. “By the mouth of two or three witnesses every word shall be established.”
2 I have told you before, and foretell as if I were present the second time, and now being absent I write to those who have sinned before, and to all the rest, that if I come again I will not spare—
3 since you seek a proof of Christ speaking in me, who is not weak toward you, but mighty in you.
4 For though He was crucified in weakness, yet He lives by the power of God. For we also are weak in Him, but we shall live with Him by the power of God toward you.
5 Examine yourselves as to whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Do you not know yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you are disqualified.
6 But I trust that you will know that we are not disqualified.

So I don't think I can answer it in the way you are thinking or wanting. I mean, I know that God is God, that He created us. This isn't something that I knew on my own. It's by His Spirit. But until someone has His Spirit, they won't know - it is impossible by themselves, but only possible with God Himself. That is what is meant by "born again" or the new birth. It's all of Him. Upon belief in Jesus Christ our Lord, is when someone is "born again" by His Spirit. All of sudden we "know" that Jesus Christ is Lord of all. That He came in the flesh, that He died for our sins. (Words cannot describe this experience) And this can happen at any time with a person also. I was 31 years old - so much later in life. He knows our hearts and if we're just "lost" and seeking, or if we actually are rebelling against Him, hardening our hearts against Him...like Satan did. Here is verse where it shows about being born again, and it could happen like the "wind".

To try to share more, these verses say:
Deuteronomy 4:28 There you will worship man-made gods of wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or eat or smell. 29 But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul.

That is a promise from God. He is God, so He knows our heart and if/when we are truly seeking Him. It can't be "fake" - God knows if we are being dishonest, even when we don't realize we are. He knows if we are truly seeking the truth and wanting to know God. He has promised we will find Him when we seek Him. I'd personally encourage anyone, to ask God themselves with full heart, any question themselves - for it's only by Him this revelation can come about. We may not get the answer we think we will, but if we ask Him things such as," God, is Jesus Christ the truth as the Bible says? Is He the only way? Is He Savior to the world?" (He will know if we already are doubting, but if we really want to know, be prepared..for as He promised, He WILL answer) He is God, not a man, that He would ever lie.

After that, and knowing He is God, it is an ongoing relationship - our whole lives. Our Father, our Teacher, our Mentor, our Comfortor, our Guide, our Lord, our everything. I am always getting corrected and humbled from Him for pride, sin, wrong doing, even lack of faith at times. Not faith that He is Who He is, but lack of faith of what He is doing or why He is doing it. To just trust Him.

Even in the Bible there are so many instances where they lacked faith in what God was doing. He had to correct them so many times. At one point, Jesus even told them,
(I'm paraphrasing here..) "Jow long must I put up with you?!" LOL

Luke 9:37 Now it happened on the next day, when they had come down from the mountain, that a great multitude met Him.
38 Suddenly a man from the multitude cried out, saying, “Teacher, I implore You, look on my son, for he is my only child.
39 And behold, a spirit seizes him, and he suddenly cries out; it convulses him so that he foams at the mouth; and it departs from him with great difficulty, bruising him. 40 So I implored Your disciples to cast it out, but they could not.”
41 Then Jesus answered and said, “O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you and bear with you? Bring your son here

I laugh when I read that because it shows so much how we are. That's our fallen state, a "sin" nature - to rebel against Him; to lack in faith, as we are weak, and He is strong. He knows it and it is why He sent Jesus Christ to cover our sins. We couldn't do it ourselves. All He did and His LOVE covers a multitude of sins, and makes us know His love, start to heal, forgive, and love like He does. (oy, but we fall short , oh yes) I thank Jesus Christ so much for all He has done, even for forgiving me when I ask Him to forgive me for lack of faith.

Hope that helps with what I shared. Sorry for any typos..I gotta run here, started to rush. Take care.

You certainly have a deep relationship with what you sincerely believe to be both the spirit of Jesus and God.

Yes., Don't believe everything you think you see on the internet. Sometimes I exaggerate when making a point. Even a metaphor is a form of exaggeration. Try not to get lost. I believe I said I write more than I read. That is a ridiculous statement in that writing requires about a hundred times more reading(proofing, editing and researching) than writing.

In my late teens and early twenties I did exhaustive investigation into the philosophies and religions. I developed my own path after looking into what other people subscribed to. I was also brought up a protestant episcopalian and attended church including bible classes from age birth til I was 14. This was not by choice but I went along with it for the sake of peace in my family. For you to try to make this thread about your opinion about my lack of knowledge is a shallow diversion from the question I pose in the OP.

If you cannot conduct a responsible discussion because I am a formidable opponent to your faith just admit it or don't participate.

Do I attack organized religion? Of course I do. With a vengeance. Am I doing that on this thread? No..I am attempting to look at the bigger picture of re-evaluation within religion and point out that it is a historical fact that is juxtaposed to the blind faith of the followers.

:lol: Someone thinks a lot of himself apparently. It's also apparent that you haven't set foot in a church in many, many years.

:lol: Someone thinks a lot of himself apparently. It's also apparent that you haven't set foot in a church in many, many years.

Should I spend more time thinking a lot about you? :lol: My time...I'll use it as I choose it.

Should I spend more time thinking a lot about you? :lol: My time...I'll use it as I choose it.

Ah, no thank you... :lol: And I didn't say that you couldn't 'use it as you choose', but you're no expert on Christian churches today or the Word, which is what you are implying here.

I evaluate almost everything I experience.

I have yet to see anything, anything at all, that would make me question the existence of God, or the reality of my faith.

He is real, He is risen, and you are wrong :)

I'm 53 and became a Christian at the age of 7. I've been continually re-evaluating my faith since I was about 21.

I have yet to see anything, anything at all, that would make me question the existence of God, or the reality of my faith.

You have nothing to prove the existence of God. The burden of proof is on you, the believer.

You have nothing to prove the existence of God. The burden of proof is on you, the believer.

I do not have to "prove" anything.

It is you who is still looking for the answers.

I already have them.

:)

I do not have to "prove" anything.

It is you who is still looking for the answers.

I already have them.

:)

Answers to what? I asked no question.

Imagine I was to say that I knew everything there was to know in the universe - that I was omniscient. I claimed this to be truth, and told all others that if they did not agree, they would be living in sin and suffer an eternal afterlife of pain and suffering.

Would the onus not be on me to prove that the premise to my argument (me being omniscient) is in fact true?

Your religion, claims to be true. That God exists. That you must live within a certain moral code. That your acts on this earth determine the nature of your existence in the afterlife. Your premise is that you are in fact correct in all your beliefs, and based on that premise a whole slew of standards flow from.

If I am to follow that standard, I must first be convinced of your premise.

I'm a christian, and am very religious. With that said I don't claim to know there's a god (although I will admit I'm convinced there is). Nobody on the face of the Earth knows whether god exists or not. Questioning your faith is a sign of strength in it-not a sign of weakness. Those who never question their faith, I'd argue don't have a strong grasp on it.

But it is annoying when people push their religious views (or lack thereof) on other people. You just come across as an asshole.

New Topics

Forum List

Back