Foster Homes/Care

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Have any of you ever had to live in a foster home or with foster parents?

For many, this is a horrible situation. You are torn from you parents and put under the thumbs of people you don't know. In some cases, siblings are split up.

Having spent four years in a foster home, this subject always catches my eye. So, when I read this - "Teens 'speak out' about foster care at annual summit" in a Utah newspaper, I not only read it with interest but posted it to my blog on August 8th with my personal comments.

Then, on the 9th, I posted another story about A Morning at the Bonnie Dell Raanch.

For those of your interested, you are welcome to drop by and read them @ A Soldier s Stories (If you're afraid of clicking on link then you have my sympathies) :):cool:

From the article:
It was a watershed moment for the youths and their self-advocacy efforts, said Jennifer Larson, the DCFS out-of-home program director, who works extensively with foster youths.
The state Youth Council, made up of youths in foster care from five regions throughout the state as well as youths who have aged out of care, takes the lead in organizing each year's summit.
This year, the council has organized guided discussions on the issues of permanent placements, obtaining driver licenses and staying connected with siblings who are in different foster care placements and the appropriate use of psychotropic drugs. While many youths in foster care acknowledge they need treatment, they do not want to be overmedicated, Larson said.
"It's, 'How can I get my treatment needs met without the overuse of psychotropic meds?' Some of the youth in that region are really passionate about that because they really feel strongly that they have been overmedicated over the years," she said.

It's 2015 and it makes me angry that people are getting around to discussing this.

The first thing I noticed in the article was the huge bureaucratic web between the children and what they need to learn in life.

Heaven forbid they should actually be taught to work with their hands. Child labor!!!

There is no way foster care can possibly be linked to religious organizations.

Check out the story on my blog and tell me if you think modern foster care homes would be able to allow this.

Yes.

This is the heavily regulated agency that now must accept children from all backgrounds and is forbidden to have anything to do with any organized religion.

The ranch I grew up is now nothing but a holding place for kids without giving them any of the freedoms we experienced.

It breaks my heart to see what has become of it.

Yes.

This is the heavily regulated agency that now must accept children from all backgrounds and is forbidden to have anything to do with any organized religion.

The ranch I grew up is now nothing but a holding place for kids without giving them any of the freedoms we experienced.

They will only accept kids that fit into their program. It's a treatment program. They accept and they deny. The kids complete the program and then they are shipped off to somewhere else. That is not a change from the government. The type of homes that you grew up in don't exist anymore. They haven't for many, many years. And these places are most definitely allowed to have religion in them. It is separation of money.
See here
Frequently Asked Questions FAQs on Equal Treatment and the Faith-Based and Community Initiative - HUD

http://www.justice.gov/archive/fbci/faq.html

The residential program above does list independent living skills. So, there is cleaning, cooking, shopping, banking, employment information, stuff like that.

See this?
Equine Therapy Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy for Addiction Trauma and Eating Disorder Treatment

It's a ranch. Equine therapy. So, the ranch that you were on may have changed due to liability.

I agree that there have been many changes in the "freedom" arena but not necessarily in the areas that you have listed.

Yes.

They will only accept kids that fit into their program. It's a treatment program. They accept and they deny. The kids complete the program and then they are shipped off to somewhere else. That is not a change from the government. The type of homes that you grew up in don't exist anymore. They haven't for many, many years. And these places are most definitely allowed to have religion in them. It is separation of money.
See here
Frequently Asked Questions FAQs on Equal Treatment and the Faith-Based and Community Initiative - HUD

The residential program above does list independent living skills. So, there is cleaning, cooking, shopping, banking, employment information, stuff like that.

See this?
Equine Therapy Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy for Addiction Trauma and Eating Disorder Treatment

It's a ranch. Equine therapy. So, the ranch that you were on may have changed due to liability.

I agree that there have been many changes in the "freedom" arena but not necessarily in the areas that you have listed.

I am most curious as to your interest in this. Are you involved in foster care programs? Or were you once in a foster home?

Yes.

See here

See this?

I am most curious as to your interest in this. Are you involved in foster care programs? Or were you once in a foster home?

Six of one and half a dozen of the other. There was a period of deinstitutionalization after WWII to 1980 and that was the end of orphanages in the US. So, by the time that I started my antics the entire system had changed and there was no orphanage to place me in. They closed or shifted to a focus on "treatment". So, I was taken to a short term facility. They did everything possible to keep me from becoming a ward of the state. Now, I encounter them frequently. And that's that.

Have any of you ever had to live in a foster home or with foster parents?

For many, this is a horrible situation. You are torn from you parents and put under the thumbs of people you don't know. In some cases, siblings are split up.

Having spent four years in a foster home, this subject always catches my eye. So, when I read this - "Teens 'speak out' about foster care at annual summit" in a Utah newspaper, I not only read it with interest but posted it to my blog on August 8th with my personal comments.

Then, on the 9th, I posted another story about A Morning at the Bonnie Dell Raanch.

For those of your interested, you are welcome to drop by and read them @ A Soldier s Stories (If you're afraid of clicking on link then you have my sympathies) :):cool:
Yes, I've lived in foster homes. Yes, I've been a foster parent.

Forum List

Back