Forums drive extreme ideology

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
I've only been here a short while but the sheer level of stupidity and hatred are enough to harden anyone if they're not careful.

I see a few moderates on here and kudos to you for not falling into all the hate, both on the right and left.

The rest of you are the reason this country is broken. We are a nation of millions upon millions and to demand everyone follow an extreme viewpoint is absurd.

That there is in itself... an extreme viewpoint.

"Viewpoints" are just that- points made and points taken from a particular view, or perspective.

We've all grown up in differing environments- political, social, economic. Life's experiences are what define us as individuals. Throw us all onto a message board, shake it up, spit it out.
Sure it's a clusterfuck but it's fascinating and infuriating. The human experiment.

Carry on.

I don't think anyone generally thinks their viewpoint is extreme. They usually just think and say things that sound reasonable to them. So I dont see how forums could drive them.

• Banned
Yea maybe. I just see so much Extreme hate. A position is one thing but a position followed by your an idiot, nutjob, uneducated etc...

I have found middle ground with several libs on her without all the hate.

Get a grip on your panties gramps. Political discourse is as old as the Federalist Papers. The last time political "moderates" were in charge was around the late 30's in Germany.

• Banned
Get a grip on your panties gramps. Political discourse is as old as the Federalist Papers. The last time political "moderates" were in charge was around the late 30's in Germany.

I wasn't referring to political moderation. I was talking about posting without all the Fuck yous, hate you, I'm better than you garbage. Moderation of how we deal with and talk to each other. Like trying to post with a level of respect for others. I know I'm guilty of it too and that's not my normal nature. That's why I posted this I guess, maybe trying to ground myself more than anything.

Stupid topic I guess. I should have just finished my beer and went to bed.

What you don't get is that extreme opinions on a message board aren't necessarily the reality of people's true thought processes.

Someone throws out something inflammatory... it gets an inflammatory reaction. I am normally very soft spoken in real life. I do have my opinions on issues and they are primarily progressive. My Harmonica player in the Blues Trio I play in... is a hard core Tea Partier, and I tell you no lie... walks around with a battery operated AM radio. I'm not kidding, nor am I trying to piss anyone off... I'm telling the truth.

Him and I get heated in our discussions... but we always shake hands and remind each other that it's not personal.

But on a message board... where people tend to be more "persona" like than personal... it's a different situation. I know I'm guilty of it too, not pointing fingers at anyone.

I wasn't referring to political moderation. I was talking about posting without all the Fuck yous, hate you, I'm better than you garbage. Moderation of how we deal with and talk to each other. Like trying to post with a level of respect for others. I know I'm guilty of it too and that's not my normal nature. That's why I posted this I guess, maybe trying to ground myself more than anything.

No. It is not a stupid topic. And I'm glad you said it and didn't go to bed instead.

I don't know what it is about this place, but it is a fucking incubator for rw stupidity. There are hardly any extreme lefties on this board. Maybe RDean. Chris is perhaps the most intelligent one, but not extreme. This place is so far skewed to the right.

I used to post at AWE and even that place was more balanced with more intelligent posters. I actually used to learn something there and the discussions were more interesting.

This place is a vile gangfest of rightwing circle jerks. It is pure entertainment.

I have no respect for liberals. None. They are sleazy despicable liars who are destroying this country. What is there about them that is "respectable?"

I don't know what it is about this place, but it is a fucking incubator for rw stupidity. There are hardly any extreme lefties on this board. Maybe RDean. Chris is perhaps the most intelligent one, but not extreme. This place is so far skewed to the right.

I used to post at AWE and even that place was more balanced with more intelligent posters. I actually used to learn something there and the discussions were more interesting.

This place is a vile gangfest of rightwing circle jerks. It is pure entertainment.

Your post is a glaring example.

lmao

I've only been here a short while but the sheer level of stupidity and hatred are enough to harden anyone if they're not careful.

I see a few moderates on here and kudos to you for not falling into all the hate, both on the right and left.

The rest of you are the reason this country is broken. We are a nation of millions upon millions and to demand everyone follow an extreme viewpoint is absurd.

Good point Grandpa......

What bothers me the most is that so few are willing to look at and understand the facts. I see so many arguments about things that are clearly factual and shouldn't be in dispute. But that viewpoints are so extreme people hold on the them regardless of the facts.

If we can't get past that it is going to be a long decade with a messed up country in the end.

If your speaking of BS partisanship and not see your own. You can not be helped.

I am not bipartisan at all. Dems are pathetic, but the GOP is vile. I don't play that false duopoly game.

I have been an independent for almost two decades now.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sONfxPCTU0]‪Can We All Just Get Along? For The Kids & Old People? RODNEY KING SPEAKS!‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I have no respect for liberals. None. They are sleazy despicable liars who are destroying this country. What is there about them that is "respectable?"

Well,,,and there you go Bripat, validating Grampa Murked's point. Nice job! :clap2:

I've been posting on political boards for about twelve years now. Some of our more rambunctious posters would be banned permanently on some of the boards that I posted on in the past. That said, I have no problem with the freedom of speech standards/boundaries on the USMB. When I see some of our more aggressive haters post, I don't even bother to read their stuff. It's always the same, so why bother even reading it.

"Moderates" are the ass-end of the american polity (with the possible exception of young white women voters) - they have no principles.

"Extreme" and it's variants used in a political context are meaningless defamation terms used by people who can't answer coherently why they support what they support, because it's just a sort of capricious random walk for them.

Forum List

Back