FORT HOOD: Now that I took Obama's advice and didn't jump to conclusions I think.....

yet hasn't he affected the government? What new policies might be coming down the pike as a result of this act?

In all the interviews and information that's come out after the fact, it's clear this guy was cracking and it had been building for some time. He sent signals that he was becoming more and more desperate, to be sure, but each one by itself might not have been enough to send up any red flags at the time. I'd hope that one thing that comes of this is the military pays close attention to its caregivers, regardless of religious affiliation. I'd hate to think that just because these professions are considered so vital that the military would gloss over signs they're in need of help too.

I do believe that Hasan was harassed because of his religion and it's obvious he was concerned about his fellow Muslim soldiers experiencing the same; it's sadly ironic that because of his actions he has all but guaranteed that harassment will continue and no doubt increase.
I just heard on NPR that his superiors had been concerned about his mental state, but they didn't give any details.

Off topic...they also reported that the female cop wasn't the one that shot him.

The media doesn't distinguish a suicide bomber in a outdoor market from one who attacks a police headquarters. They are both terrorist attacks.

Not everyone hurt or killled in the attack was military. He did not show civilians or police any different treatment than military personnel.

Why is it so important for some of you to have this NOT be a terrorist attack?

Seems to me like this thread is just a legit, reasoned discussion.

I could ask the same silly question in reverse.

I can understand it being called a terrorist attack even though he attacked a military target ... the guy's motives were pretty clear but without a conspiracy I still think he's a lone nutter.

We were discussing that before and were trying to figure out if them not being on active duty made a difference.

What did we all agree on again guys? Did we decide it was domestic terrorism or was it just that he was a doucebag traitor?

Whether they were active duty or not is irrelevant, IMO. They were getting prepared to deploy.

Thanks for the input bro.

This thread rocks today!!! Thanks to all of you for not acting like this below

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg2AezJo8aQ&feature=related]YouTube - Monkey throws poop straight at the camera[/ame]

comic relief over ;)

EDIT: Please don't start now ;)

yet hasn't he affected the government? What new policies might be coming down the pike as a result of this act?

In all the interviews and information that's come out after the fact, it's clear this guy was cracking and it had been building for some time. He sent signals that he was becoming more and more desperate, to be sure, but each one by itself might not have been enough to send up any red flags at the time. I'd hope that one thing that comes of this is the military pays close attention to its caregivers, regardless of religious affiliation. I'd hate to think that just because these professions are considered so vital that the military would gloss over signs they're in need of help too.

I do believe that Hasan was harassed because of his religion and it's obvious he was concerned about his fellow Muslim soldiers experiencing the same; it's sadly ironic that because of his actions he has all but guaranteed that harassment will continue and no doubt increase.
I just heard on NPR that his superiors had been concerned about his mental state, but they didn't give any details.

Off topic...they also reported that the female cop wasn't the one that shot him.

There are a lot of people who have some 'splainin' to do.

The media doesn't distinguish a suicide bomber in a outdoor market from one who attacks a police headquarters. They are both terrorist attacks.

Not everyone hurt or killled in the attack was military. He did not show civilians or police any different treatment than military personnel.

I see you have veered from the reasoned discussion. Way to spam.

That seems to be true, another cop shot him:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/us/12hood.html

November 12, 2009
At Fort Hood, Witness Credits Second Officer

By JAMES C. McKINLEY Jr.
KILLEEN, Tex. — Sgt. Kimberly D. Munley has been applauded as a hero across the nation for shooting down Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan during the bloody rampage at Fort Hood last week. The account of heroism, given by the authorities, attracted the attention of newspapers, the networks and television talk shows.

But the story of how the petite police officer and the accused gunman went down in an exchange of gunfire does not agree with the account of an eyewitness who had gone to the base’s processing center, where the shooting occurred, to conduct business before being deployed.

The witness, who asked not to be identified, said Major Hasan wheeled on Sergeant Munley as she rounded the corner of a building and shot her, putting her on the ground. Then Major Hasan turned his back on her and started putting another magazine into his semiautomatic pistol.

It was at that moment that Senior Sgt. Mark Todd, a veteran police officer, rounded another corner of the building, found Major Hasan fumbling with his weapon and shot him.

How the authorities came to issue the original version of the story, which made Sergeant Munley a national hero for several days and obscured Sergeant Todd’s role, remains unclear. (Military officials also said for several hours after the shooting that Major Hasan had been killed, although he had survived.)

Six days after the deadly shooting rampage at a center where soldiers were preparing for deployment, the military has yet to put out a full account of what happened....

As for the terrorism issue, I would contend that if the target is military, it isn't terrorism.

In defining it as 'non-military', I think the key is if the attacker and the target are engaged in combat of any sort. A military base can certainly be the target of a terrorist attack.

if the base is NOT on U.S. soil, then it would not fit the definition of terrorism that the U.S. State Department is required by law to use.

If the base is on U.S. soil then the U.S. Criminal Code (which uses a different definition) could be applied and the attack could meet their definition (if other factors fit).

As for the terrorism issue, I would contend that if the target is military, it isn't terrorism.

In defining it as 'non-military', I think the key is if the attacker and the target are engaged in combat of any sort. A military base can certainly be the target of a terrorist attack.

How do you define combat?

depends what is .........is

if the base is NOT on U.S. soil, then it would not fit the definition of terrorism that the U.S. State Department is required by law to use.

If the base is on U.S. soil then the U.S. Criminal Code (which uses a different definition) could be applied and the attack could meet their definition (if other factors fit).

it is treason....tie him to a tree stick a blinfold on him and a cigarette in his mouth and shoot him at dawn...

I see you have veered from the reasoned discussion. Way to spam.

Pointing out your obvious partisan question isn't spam. Give it a rest.

Yes, yes they do.

I found the bit about his mental state:

New reports emerged Thursday about Hasan's mental state, which was allegedly questioned by military officials at Walter Reed Army Medical Center long before Hasan was ever sent to Fort Hood to serve as a psychiatrist.
National Public Radio reported that starting in the spring of 2008, key officials at Walter Reed and the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences held meetings and conversations about Hasan, whose behavior had grown increasingly erratic and unpredictable.
"Put it this way," said one official to NPR, "everybody felt that if you were deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, you would not want Nidal Hasan in your foxhole."
Hasan Charged With 13 Counts of Murder | Online NewsHour | Nov. 12, 2009 | PBS

New reports emerged Thursday about Hasan's mental state, which was allegedly questioned by military officials at Walter Reed Army Medical Center long before Hasan was ever sent to Fort Hood to serve as a psychiatrist.
National Public Radio reported that starting in the spring of 2008, key officials at Walter Reed and the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences held meetings and conversations about Hasan, whose behavior had grown increasingly erratic and unpredictable.
"Put it this way," said one official to NPR, "everybody felt that if you were deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, you would not want Nidal Hasan in your foxhole."

and the next two paragraphs:

Eventually the conversation turned to Hasan's mental state and authorities began to wonder if he was "psychotic."

No action was taken, however, in part because of the lengthy bureaucratic process involved with expelling doctors and also because military officials wanted to avoid the appearance of anti-Muslim prejudice, according to NPR. He was eventually shipped to Killeen, Texas....

This is the same type of stuff that came down after the OTHER Virginia Tech shooter. Apparently people had voiced concerns but none of that ever translated into people actually protecting themselves and others ......

and the next two paragraphs:

Eventually the conversation turned to Hasan's mental state and authorities began to wonder if he was "psychotic."

No action was taken, however, in part because of the lengthy bureaucratic process involved with expelling doctors and also because military officials wanted to avoid the appearance of anti-Muslim prejudice, according to NPR. He was eventually shipped to Killeen, Texas....
I just went back and read that. Some heads need to roll if this is true.

Yes, yes they do.

I saw an interview with her yesterday...Funny she didn't mention that. :confused:

Maybe everything happened so fast that no one was sure who shot who.

Forum List

Back