Forsaking all/Renunciation

I think that its fairly obvious that Jesus didn't exect EVERYBODY to give away all they own and take on the life of a diciple.

After all, if everybody did that who would have fed Jesus and company when they came to town?

I think he was telling people not to worship materialism.

In that sense I think most of my fellow Christians (myself included, of course) fall rather far short of the ideal.

I think that its fairly obvious that Jesus didn't exect EVERYBODY to give away all they own and take on the life of a diciple.

After all, if everybody did that who would have fed Jesus and company when they came to town?

In that sense I think most of my fellow Christians (myself included, of course) fall rather far short of the ideal.

Thank you very much. You wrote that in a way that I could not. That is exactly what I have been trying to tell the OP.

We worship Christ not our possessions. We give him all the glory and praise for the blessings we recieve. We also still praise him if we lose all that we had just like Job.

So, why don't we do it?

Some of us have seen through the SHAM and SCAM that is Christianity. It took me 27 years and a month to do it, but I'm a fortunate one. My father went to his grave on his 54th birthday never having realized the time, energy, and money he had wasted on the ideology known as Christianity.

After 54 years of faithful service and dedication to that ideology, what did he get out of it..... NOTHING. Well, that's not true. He got skin cancer that moved into his brain and killed him. Cancer that was probably brought about (at least in part) by the fact that he had declined two different draft deferals to accept his draft notice and go to Vietnam; because he felt is was the honorable and right thing to do.

Anyone who would give up anything they have in the hopes that the Christian God will return to them blessings in any manner because of it is a complete and utter FOOL in my mind and always will be.

I think Jesus himself knew there would be people who would not obey his teachings. You'd expect that kind of attitude from atheists, but it's sad to see 'christians' doing the same.

But, lets say everybody DID obey Jesus and take on the life of a disciple. Well, that would be the Kingdom of Heaven wouldn't it? People would actually SHARE resources. It's like saying, ''what if everyone loved each other, who would there be to sell you food''. lol There obviously wouldn't be a NEED for someone to sell food.

You may THINK Jesus is saying something (and I do agree that he teaches people to not be materialistic), but what we are talking about here is not what YOU think Jesus was saying, not was I think Jesus was saying, but what Jesus actually SAID. ''Whomsoever of you that does not forsake all that he owns cannot be my disciple''. That's a command to anyone who would call themselves Christian, for a christian is a disciple of Christ.

The whole thing about everyone in the world doing it is a red-herring, because I'm not saying everyone in the world has to do it (though it would be nice, because as I said, then we would be having the Kingdom of Heaven), Jesus himself doesn't say EVERYONE must do it, but he does say ANYONE that wants to be a disciple of HIM must do it. Can you see the difference?

Thank you very much. You wrote that in a way that I could not. That is exactly what I have been trying to tell the OP.

We worship Christ not our possessions. We give him all the glory and praise for the blessings we recieve. We also still praise him if we lose all that we had just like Job.

Please can you ellaborate on what OP means? Thanks.

''Why do you call me Lord, Lord and refuse to obey my words?''

Jesus doesn't want admirers, he wants followers. Glory, praise, and worship are meaningless if they are not backed up my obedience.

So, why don't we do it?

Some of us have seen through the SHAM and SCAM that is Christianity. It took me 27 years and a month to do it, but I'm a fortunate one. My father went to his grave on his 54th birthday never having realized the time, energy, and money he had wasted on the ideology known as Christianity.

After 54 years of faithful service and dedication to that ideology, what did he get out of it..... NOTHING. Well, that's not true. He got skin cancer that moved into his brain and killed him. Cancer that was probably brought about (at least in part) by the fact that he had declined two different draft deferals to accept his draft notice and go to Vietnam; because he felt is was the honorable and right thing to do.

Anyone who would give up anything they have in the hopes that the Christian God will return to them blessings in any manner because of it is a complete and utter FOOL in my mind and always will be.

So, why don't we do it?

I'm sorry, friend. Maybe you're confusing christianity with churchianity? lol. The 'scam and sham' of Christianity has NOTHING to do with what Jesus taught. If people actually DID what HE said, and not what the pastor, or preacher, or church teaches, we'd find that out.

I'm sorry to hear about your father. I don't quite understand why you're blaiming your fathers faith in God for his getting cancer. Just because we have faith in God, doesn't mean he's going to keep us healthy and not let us physically die. Did your father tell you he got ''nothing'' from his years of faith? Or is that something you feel?

Life comes and life goes. It happens if you believe in God, and it happens if you don't believe in God. Hopefully one day you'll change your mind about God, and about those 'fools' who put their hope in him.

Forum List

Back