Forrest Gump is the greatest movie of all time

I didn't like the Gump at first. Not sure why. But it's grown on me.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Gump Trivia Question: What disease did Jenny die of?

^^^ A name was never put on what Jenny died of. We only hear her say to Forest, "I have some kind of virus...the doctors don't know what it is and there isn't anything that they can do about it."

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I am guessing that she got either aids or HIV.

The implication is that Jenny died of AIDS.

Forrest Gump is like soul candy for Boomers, but it was a fairly mediocre movie. Sally Fields did a pretty good job.

You cannot evaluate Forrest Gump (the movie) unless you have read the book. The book is so much better that it makes the film look like schidt. Seriously, Forrest Gump was a big, muscular bastard, and they made up the early polio/braces thing to try to make his football success look credible (they failed). Tom Hanks was hot at the time, and it was a silly and transparent ploy to modify the character to allow him to play it.

Groundhog Day has FG beat by a mile. Groundhog Day is still taught in philosophy and religion classes, as well as creative writing and cinema classes. It is timeless and fantastic.

Neither one is "great," but Forrest Gump? Gimme a break.

Most people think Jenny died of HIV/AIDS. However, in the movie, she showed none of the end-stage symptoms of AIDS. That is, the wasting away, the pneumonia (which is what does the killing), or the lesions.

It's not named in the movie, or in the first book. However, in the sequel book by the same author, Gump & Co., the killing disease is revealed to be ... Hepatitis-C.

And that makes more sense. Hep-C leaves you as a better looking corpse. It was rampant among IV drug users of the era (and still is). Doctors at the time strongly suspected there was a hepatitis virus that was different from the A and B strains, but the C virus wasn't identified until 1989. Jenny dies in 1982. Hep-C is dangerous but usually treatable now, but back then, someone infected stood a decent (5%-20%) chance of dying of it in the long term.

If you disagree I don't even care. That means you're a fool.
There's been so many movies I've watched over-and-over. I've seen Forrest Gump only once and remember liking it. I'll have to see how it hits me the 2nd time. Perhaps the first time through I was comparing Tom Hanks performance as Forrest Gump with Dustin Hoffman's Rain Man.

Forum List

Back