Former Reagan Budget Director Blasts Ryan

There are other ways to save money, Mr. Toro.

Not if you want to eliminate the deficit.
Trust me, when citizens get involved and face off politicians, there is no deficit even considered by them. I lived in that state for for 35 years. The first time I went to a City Council meeting, this man got up, pointed his finger at each councilman sitting around the table and told them how disappointed he was they were going to consider a 1-cent sales tax hike, how he was going to get his friends together and review their personnel files, and make sure the ones who voted to pass this abomination were not going to be sitting around the table any more....

This went on for several weeks. At first I thought the man was mentally ill, because I'd never seen a citizen shaking his fist at public servants before. But the longer I went to those meetings, the more I realized it was he who was probably one of the sanest persons who ever lived.

He knew the art of letting people know in a public forum, provided by the city charter and in accordance with Equality state rules, what he thought of constant spending ideas, which was not much higher than dirt.

imho, people rule.

If they know what the founders knew: push spending bullies back, push back hard, and do not turn your back on taxation proposals by ignoring who is benefiting and in particular, who isn't benefiting.

Last edited:
This piece spells out many of the problems with Ryans philosophy.

"Mr. Ryan showed his conservative mettle in 2008 when he folded like a lawn chair on the auto bailout and the Wall Street bailout. But the greater hypocrisy is his phony “plan” to solve the entitlements mess by deferring changes to social insurance by at least a decade."

"The Ryan Plan boils down to a fetish for cutting the top marginal income-tax rate for “job creators” — i.e. the superwealthy — to 25 percent and paying for it with an as-yet-undisclosed plan to broaden the tax base. Of the $1 trillion in so-called tax expenditures that the plan would attack, the vast majority would come from slashing popular tax breaks for employer-provided health insurance, mortgage interest, 401(k) accounts, state and local taxes, charitable giving and the like, not to mention low rates on capital gains and dividends. The crony capitalists of K Street already own more than enough Republican votes to stop that train before it leaves the station."

"In short, Mr. Ryan’s plan is devoid of credible math or hard policy choices. And it couldn’t pass even if Republicans were to take the presidency and both houses of Congress. Mr. Romney and Mr. Ryan have no plan to take on Wall Street, the Fed, the military-industrial complex, social insurance or the nation’s fiscal calamity and no plan to revive capitalist prosperity — just empty sermons.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/14/opinion/paul-ryans-fairy-tale-budget-plan.html?_r=2&ref=opinion

its "fuzzy math" yes.

"Mr. Ryan showed his conservative mettle in 2008 when he folded like a lawn chair on the auto bailout and the Wall Street bailout. But the greater hypocrisy is his phony “plan” to solve the entitlements mess by deferring changes to social insurance by at least a decade."

"The Ryan Plan boils down to a fetish for cutting the top marginal income-tax rate for “job creators” — i.e. the superwealthy — to 25 percent and paying for it with an as-yet-undisclosed plan to broaden the tax base. Of the $1 trillion in so-called tax expenditures that the plan would attack, the vast majority would come from slashing popular tax breaks for employer-provided health insurance, mortgage interest, 401(k) accounts, state and local taxes, charitable giving and the like, not to mention low rates on capital gains and dividends. The crony capitalists of K Street already own more than enough Republican votes to stop that train before it leaves the station."

"In short, Mr. Ryan’s plan is devoid of credible math or hard policy choices. And it couldn’t pass even if Republicans were to take the presidency and both houses of Congress. Mr. Romney and Mr. Ryan have no plan to take on Wall Street, the Fed, the military-industrial complex, social insurance or the nation’s fiscal calamity and no plan to revive capitalist prosperity — just empty sermons.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/14/opinion/paul-ryans-fairy-tale-budget-plan.html?_r=2&ref=opinion

Stockman doesn't like Ryan?
That's a relief. If that weasel liked him, I'd be worried.

What Stockman's analysis accurate or inaccurate? :)

Stockman's analysis is based on assumptions that may, or may not, come to pass. Consequently, it has no validity beyond vague speculation.

Good thing Obama's appointed co-chair on his Committee On Fiscal Responsibility sees things differently.

Erskine Bowles: Ryan budget is "sensible...honest, serious" - YouTube

So, as a taxpayer, you are OK with "slashing popular tax breaks for employer-provided health insurance, mortgage interest, 401(k) accounts, state and local taxes, charitable giving and the like"?

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but if Romney/Ryan cut those tax breaks, I (middle class) would see one helluva a tax increase?

You're overlooking the closing of all the tax loopholes that all those "evil rich guys" so frequently take advantage of. Republicans have been pushing those for years but if it's not a direct increase on the wealthy, Obama has no use for it.

Bullshit. They had the votes to do just that from 2000 to 2009. They did not even attempt it.

David Stockman is a notorious RINO who has been attacking Republicans ever since Reagan gave him the boot. No genuine Republican gives a shit what Stockman has to say.

I suppose Stockman - Reagan's budget director - pointing out Republican Party economic fairy tales over the past 30 years does make him a RINO. Stockman believes in many tenants of the Austrian school of economics, such as hard money, low taxes, low government spending and less regulation. Too bad the Republican Party does not.

He certainly hasn't ever displayed any evidence that he believes in any of those things. If he actually did, then Democrats would be calling him "radical" and "extreme." Your pretense that you believe in them is comical.

[But - But! - if we are going to have social security, Medicare and Medicaid, and a strong defense, we must pay for it. And to pay for it, we must pay for it through taxes. That the Retard Wing of the GOP adheres to this myth that Tax Cuts Solve Everything where math is abstract and inconvenient, being a RINO of Stockman's ilk to those people is a badge of honor.

True, if we don't get liberal social programs under control we will pay for it, one way or another. You have just admitted that you have no interests in reforming these programs. you could tax all the millionaires and billionaires into extinction, and it wouldn't pay for 10% of all the promises Democrats have made.

Last edited:
Former Reagan Budget Director Blasts Ryan

August 16, 2012

Ryan "Hold 'Em"

"In poker a “tell” is the physical giveaway or tic that lets you know someone is lying about their hand. In politics it’s the mode of evasion a politician chooses to sidestep a truth they don’t want to admit, or to avoid saying something against self-interest. In his debut interview with Fox News’ Brit Hume Tuesday, Rep. Paul Ryan’s “tells” were audacious, and revealing. They suggest an opening Democrats would be wise to pursue.

Ryan (R-Wis.) tried to cloak himself in his supposedly charming “wonky-ness” to sidestep two simple questions from Hume: When does Mitt Romney’s budget reach balance, and when does Ryan’s own budget plan do the same? Ryan pirouetted because Hume’s queries threatened to expose his famed “fiscal conservatism” as a fraud.

Now, for context, recall that in the last era of epic budget smackdowns, 1995 and 1996, Newt Gingrich would have had an equally simple answer: in seven years. President Bill Clinton’s failure to embrace the goal of a balanced budget at all was a major political liability that Clinton finally (and shrewdly) erased when he came out with his own ten-year plan in mid-1995. (It’s worth underscoring that a ten-year path to balance was viewed then as the outer limit of credibility — pledging to end the red ink any further than a decade out didn’t pass the laugh test.)"

:eusa_whistle:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_4I_WroPKU]Reaganomics FAILED us ALL - YouTube[/ame]​

I'm going to present private sector employment, because republicans hate government employee's

Romney said of Obama, “he wants another stimulus, he wants to hire more government
workers. He says we need more fireman, more policeman, more teachers. Did he not
get the message of Wisconsin? The American people did. It’s time for us to cut back
on government and help the American people.”

private sector jobs

Eight years of supply side vulture capitalism.
Jan 2001 --111,631
Jan 2009 --110,985
---------------646 thousand jobs lost.

11 years,8 months of supply side vulture capitalism.
Jan 2001 --111,631
Jul 2012 --111,317
---------------314 thousand jobs lost.

Three trillion dollars in tax cuts in 11 and 1/2 years, and we wind up with
314 thousand jobs lost.

For Republicans, Lying is a way of life.

---- bluecoller -- the grumpy old kraut-------

Excellent article, thanks for posting it. The article cuts right through their smoke screen!

The Ryan budget plan DID pass the Republican House. Twice!

On April 11, 2011, Ryan introduced H.Con.Res. 34, a federal budget for the fiscal year 2012. The House passed this Ryan Plan on April 15, 2011, by a vote of 235–193. Four Republicans joined all House Democrats in voting against it. A month later, the bill was defeated in the Senate by a vote of 57–40, with five Republicans and most Democrats in opposition.

On March 23, 2012 Ryan introduced a new version of his federal budget for the fiscal year 2013. On March 29, 2012, the House of Representatives passed the resolution along partisan lines, 228 yeas to 191 nays; ten Republicans voted against the bill, along with all the House Democrats.

He certainly hasn't ever displayed any evidence that he believes in any of those things. If he actually did, then Democrats would be calling him "radical" and "extreme." Your pretense that you believe in them is comical.

I've read Stockman for the past 10+ years. He has made his views very clear over time.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back