Former President of CBS Speaks Out

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Not favorable to the one time, "Tiffany Network":

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-oe-sauter13jan13,1,195795.story

The division's ex-boss decries a lefty bias and lost credibility.
By Van Gordon Sauter
Van Gordon Sauter was president of CBS News in the early 1980s and until recently was chairman of the California Boxing Commission.

January 13, 2005

"What's the big problem at CBS News?

Well, for one thing, it has no credibility. And no audience, no morale, no long-term emblematic anchorperson and no cohesive management structure. Outside of those annoyances, it shouldn't be that hard to fix.

Personally, I have a great affection for CBS News, even though I was unceremoniously shown to the door there nearly 20 years ago in a tumultuous change of corporate management.

But I stopped watching it some time ago. The unremitting liberal orientation finally became too much for me. I still check in, but less and less frequently. I increasingly drift to NBC News and Fox and MSNBC.

This week, when CBS News announced that four employees would lose their jobs in connection with the George Bush National Guard story, I was struck by how the network had become representative of a far larger, far more troubling problem: A large swath of the society doesn't trust the news media. And for many, it's even stronger than that: They abhor the media and perceive it as an escalating threat to the society.

If it's not stopped, the erosion of a centrist organizing principle for the media will soon become a commercial issue. Partisans will increasingly seek their news from blogs and websites and advocacy publications. And the majority — those readers and viewers most comfortable in the center — will try to find something … in the center..."

Forum List

Back