Former Marine's injury spurs vets to join Occupy movement

Divine Wind

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2011
Texas
The Occupy movement is a mish-mash of a lot of groups. Maybe this introduction of vets into the movement will not only give it the support they crave, but the organization, focus and leadership they so desperately need. Let's hope that also means the riff-raff and knuckleheads will be pushed to the fringe where they belong.

Spurred by an injury to one of their own, military veterans are mobilizing to increase their presence and profile in the Occupy Wall Street movement.

Today on Wall Street, the New York City chapter of Iraq Veterans Against the War and dozens of other uniformed veterans known as "Veterans of the 99%" began massing at 11:15 a.m. near Wall Street, where Occupy began Sept. 17. They marched through the financial district to the Occupy Wall Street encampment about a half mile away.

Several wearing their service uniforms, paused outside the New York Stock Exchange, chanting; "We are veterans. We are the 99%," and "corporate profits on the rise/soldiers have to bleed and die.

I'm sure all of these "vets" are legitimate. Anybody can buy a used military uniform and fatigues. Just another steaming pile of crap from the leftists.

How about the anarchists, the losers, the left wing shills, and the faux vets make themselves USEFUL and volunteer to help people who are LEGITIMATELY in need of help............the families who have lost their homes, have nowhere to live, have no food, and are TRULY desperate.

"The 99%" is a MYTH, unless "the 99%" refers to the percentage of taxpayers (i.e. people who have JOBS) who have been SCREWED OVER by the federal government and state governments via excessive taxes, levys, and regulations.

I'm sure all of these "vets" are legitimate. Anybody can buy a used military uniform and fatigues. Just another steaming pile of crap from the leftists.

How about the anarchists, the losers, the left wing shills, and the faux vets make themselves USEFUL and volunteer to help people who are LEGITIMATELY in need of help............the families who have lost their homes, have nowhere to live, have no food, and are TRULY desperate.

"The 99%" is a MYTH, unless "the 99%" refers to the percentage of taxpayers (i.e. people who have JOBS) who have been SCREWED OVER by the federal government and state governments via excessive taxes, levys, and regulations.

A lot of Regular people get caught up in it, and have. But most of them don't hang around long. Once they get a good look at just who is at the core of the groups driving the whole Movement.

Military vets march with Occupy Wall Street - WSJ.com

Bordeleau is among thousands of veterans who have joined the movement that started in Manhattan in mid-September with a rally and march of about 100 people in the financial district.

"Wall Street corporations have played a big role in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan," said Bordeleau, 24, who attends college in New York.

He said private contractors have reaped big profits in those countries "in pursuit of corporate interests that have had a devastating effect on our economy and our country, benefiting only a small number of people."

Returning Veterans have a long history of protesting about social issues.

Doesn't surprise me at all that many veterans are with OWS any more than it surprised me to find vets at the Tea Party demonstrations.

Agreed. I think vets, in general, are more civic duty minded than the average citizen since they've experienced the whims of government. The VOTE is our first best tool to control government. Protesting is the second.

More Vets want OWS to get the hell out of this country along with Obamination.

Do you have a link? I think this link shows more vets are pissed off about partisanship and "business as usual" in Washington DC among the rich and powerful.

Survey: Troops shift political parties - Navy News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Navy Times
Political party affiliation has fallen sharply among those wearing the uniform today, a new Military Times survey shows.

An exclusive survey of some 1,800 active-duty troops shows the percentage of self-identified Republicans has decreased by one-third since 2004, from 60 percent to 41 percent, while the percentage of self-identified independents has nearly doubled to 32 percent during the same period.

These career-oriented officers and mid-grade and senior enlisted members are still far more conservative than liberal, but they are less likely today to identify with the GOP, the survey shows.

Much of the shift appears to have occurred only very recently, with the percentage of troops identifying themselves as Republican dropping nine percentage points from 2008 to 2009 and the percentage of those calling themselves independents increasing 10 points over the same period.

Respondents are also more pessimistic about the mission in Afghanistan, more optimistic about Iraq and virtually divided about President Obama’s performance as commander in chief.

And you wonder why OWS gets a bad Wrap. Look at us, if you don't give us what we want, will fuck everything up for you so just do it. Bunch of Self Centered Fucking ass munches.

Kinda like those bastards at the Boston Tea Party.

I'll take the record of the USMC over various California police departments any day.

I don't plan on shooting anyone. But, I think that the best way to control the government is to make it painfully aware that the people can, and will, over throw it if it doesn't stay in line.

I predict that someday one of these vets will become a Senator from Mass and run for President only to be swift boated.

After all, they say there is nothing new under the sun. ;)

Immie

Forum List

Back