Former Marine

I have never met a Former Marine, and the one's and the only one's that hold the title of "ex" has more to do with the spouse situation. I do know an Old Navy aviator too, except I try not to too look to much at him in the mirror in the morning, not a pretty sight.

Military Heroes are sexy at any age. :eusa_clap:

navy1-vi.gif

This is an honest inquiry!

I got into a discussion on another board with a member there because I was curious about his sig which reads "Former Marine".

To me, that would indicate that he is no longer a Marine and I always got the impression that once someone became a Marine...they were always a Marine...kind of on a special level if that makes any sense...which would make being a "Former Marine" a misnomer...unless, of course, someone were dishonorably discharged.

Seriously...I'm trying to get a feeling on this because, for instance, my ex brother-in-law...who was a Marine during Nam certainly prides himself on being a Marine to this day and I'm sure in no way looks upon himself as being a "Former Marine" even though he is no longer on active duty which was the explanation I got from this other individual.

He said he uses "Former Marine" so as to make it clear he is no longer on active duty...which still seems to me to be inaccurate...he is not a former Marine...he is still a Marine by my way of understanding...when I pushed him further to try and discuss this logic he quit responding to me.

I would appreciate some perspective on this from other members of the military, thanks.

:clap2: Once a Marine always a Marine. the same for the other branches of the Military. I have been retired and out of the Navy, since 1980, and yet i still have the old expressions, that us old Squids used. Just because you are no longer active, you still have it in your blood, even to the grave.AHOY!!! There!!!Mates!!!

John Mertha would be an "Ex Marine". Others who hold to their Oath are still Marines.

I agree, traitors like Murtha should never be allowed to keep their Marine designation.

For everyone else, I think 'Marine Vet' is a better description rather than 'former Marine.'

"Ex" is what no one wants to hear and it's nothing more than conditioning to acceptable and unacceptable terms that really mean the same thing.

As a retired Marine, I an neither a "former" nor an "ex", but I get called both by ignorant folk.:lol:

:lol: Well!!! I get called an Ex-Squid

I agree, traitors like Murtha should never be allowed to keep their Marine designation.

For everyone else, I think 'Marine Vet' is a better description rather than 'former Marine.'

"Ex" is what no one wants to hear and it's nothing more than conditioning to acceptable and unacceptable terms that really mean the same thing.

As a retired Marine, I an neither a "former" nor an "ex", but I get called both by ignorant folk.:lol:

:lol: Well!!! I get called an Ex-Squid

Go Navy!! and you know, at one time early in my career I thought Marines had a school in which they had to learn at least 10 names for the Navy. lol Ex? never an Ex, that makes reference to not being a part of, and I can telll you your never not part of the Navy as are Marines are always Marines regardless of where they are and even when they are hitching a ride from the Navy ( sorry had to get that in there) lol.

A few years ago I was leaving the gym located on post when a car pulled up and the driver asked me for directions to building number such-and-such. I had no earthly idea. For those who have never served, every Army installation has numbered buildings. Building 1, for instance, might be the garrison headquarters; Building 27 might be the central in-processing point; etc. Or, if it's one of these obscure buildings, a soldier will know where the areas are by building numbers: for instance, might not know where Building 2508 is, but will know where the 2500's are.

So when I couldn't even guess where this building might be, that's when I realized that I was truly retired.

Guess I'll try a hand at strolling slowly through the commissary with a grocery cart. :lol:

A few years ago I was leaving the gym located on post when a car pulled up and the driver asked me for directions to building number such-and-such. I had no earthly idea. For those who have never served, every Army installation has numbered buildings. Building 1, for instance, might be the garrison headquarters; Building 27 might be the central in-processing point; etc. Or, if it's one of these obscure buildings, a soldier will know where the areas are by building numbers: for instance, might not know where Building 2508 is, but will know where the 2500's are.

So when I couldn't even guess where this building might be, that's when I realized that I was truly retired.

Guess I'll try a hand at strolling slowly through the commissary with a grocery cart. :lol:

Don't stroll too slow; some old ass SFC might run you over.

Forum List

Back