Former Marine

Huh?

leave this space blank
Sep 17, 2009
areyoushittin'me?
This is an honest inquiry!

I got into a discussion on another board with a member there because I was curious about his sig which reads "Former Marine".

To me, that would indicate that he is no longer a Marine and I always got the impression that once someone became a Marine...they were always a Marine...kind of on a special level if that makes any sense...which would make being a "Former Marine" a misnomer...unless, of course, someone were dishonorably discharged.

Seriously...I'm trying to get a feeling on this because, for instance, my ex brother-in-law...who was a Marine during Nam certainly prides himself on being a Marine to this day and I'm sure in no way looks upon himself as being a "Former Marine" even though he is no longer on active duty which was the explanation I got from this other individual.

He said he uses "Former Marine" so as to make it clear he is no longer on active duty...which still seems to me to be inaccurate...he is not a former Marine...he is still a Marine by my way of understanding...when I pushed him further to try and discuss this logic he quit responding to me.

I would appreciate some perspective on this from other members of the military, thanks.

There are no ex-Marines. That is the view of Marines. A 'former' Marine is someone who no longer service in the USMC but, at heart, they are all still Marines. Nothing complicated about it - it's a mindset.

Semper Fi and Ooorah to USMC!

I got into a discussion on another board with a member there because I was curious about his sig which reads "Former Marine".

To me, that would indicate that he is no longer a Marine and I always got the impression that once someone became a Marine...they were always a Marine...kind of on a special level if that makes any sense...which would make being a "Former Marine" a misnomer...unless, of course, someone were dishonorably discharged.

Seriously...I'm trying to get a feeling on this because, for instance, my ex brother-in-law...who was a Marine during Nam certainly prides himself on being a Marine to this day and I'm sure in no way looks upon himself as being a "Former Marine" even though he is no longer on active duty which was the explanation I got from this other individual.

He said he uses "Former Marine" so as to make it clear he is no longer on active duty...which still seems to me to be inaccurate...he is not a former Marine...he is still a Marine by my way of understanding...when I pushed him further to try and discuss this logic he quit responding to me.

I would appreciate some perspective on this from other members of the military, thanks.

Saying that you are a former Marine is generally seen as okay, it is ex Marine that usually bothers those who have served in the Marine Corps.

"Former" and "ex" are just inside jokes that reflect a unique pride among warriors. Don't believe for a second that a Soldier, Marine or Sailor would have any shame, embarrassment or discomfort about having served or making the distinction between someone who has served and someone who is currently serving.

I thank you all for the responses...I understand the mindset as you've explained it CG...that's the same thing said by the other guy...I'm just getting warped in the semantics looking at "former" in a context as "previously was a" or "was at one time"...I can simply accept it as a unique usage among a group that I am not a member of and respect that definition for them...I just don't have it computing in my mind as yet on a logical semantic level beyond that.

Noose4, your point is crystal clear to me as I mentioned before...to me "ex" would only fit someone dishonorably discharged and if my guess is correct I doubt any self respecting Marine would have a problem with such a person no longer being considered worthy of the title.

Toome, being an inside joke would make sense and wouldn't necessarily dictate a need for accuracy rhetorically...I've no problem with that...in no way did I get the impression that the Marine in question had anything but pride for his service and that of others...according to him the term merely signified he was no longer on active duty.

Thanks again to all of you for sharing your insight.

Being a retired Navy Chief Hospital Corpsman, and having spent a bit of time with the Marines, there is no such thing as a "former Marine". Once a Marine, always a Marine. At least that is the way all of the Marines I have ever met seem to feel. It's one of those honor and pride things which is often made fun of by us Navy types but is held near and dear to the members of the Marine Corps. When the feces hits the fan, and if you have to be involved with the fight, it's always a good thing to surround yourself with Marines. Just sit back and eat some popcorn and watch those guys take care of business... Semper Fi - the Marine Corps most famous saying actually is the Latin phrase which translated means, "Who's my father?":lol: The Marines take a lot of kidding from the Navy guys but they are really a great bunch of guys dedicated to service to our country.

John Mertha would be an "Ex Marine". Others who hold to their Oath are still Marines.

John Murtha served honorably

John P. Murtha - SourceWatch

Murtha was born June 17, 1932 in New Martinsville, West Virginia, near the Pennsylvania border, and grew up in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, southeast of Pittsburgh. He left Washington and Jefferson College in 1952 to join the Marines during the Korean War. There he earned the American Spirit Honor Medal. He rose through the ranks to become a drill instructor at Parris Island and was selected for Officer Candidate School at Quantico, Virginia. He then was assigned to the Second Marine Division, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

After his service, he ran a small carwash business and attended the University of Pittsburgh on the GI Bill, receiving degree in economics from Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Murtha remained in the Marine Corps Reserves. In 1959, then-Captain Murtha took command of the 34th Special Infantry Company, Marine Corps Reserves, in Johnstown. He remained in the Reserves after his discharge from active duty until he volunteered for service in Vietnam in 1966-67, serving as a battalion staff officer(S-2 Intelligence Section), receiving the Bronze Star with Combat "V" for valor in combat, two Purple Hearts and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. He retired from the Reserves as a colonel in 1990, receiving the Navy Distinguished Service Medal.

Being a retired Navy Chief Hospital Corpsman, and having spent a bit of time with the Marines, there is no such thing as a "former Marine". Once a Marine, always a Marine. At least that is the way all of the Marines I have ever met seem to feel. It's one of those honor and pride things which is often made fun of by us Navy types but is held near and dear to the members of the Marine Corps. When the feces hits the fan, and if you have to be involved with the fight, it's always a good thing to surround yourself with Marines. Just sit back and eat some popcorn and watch those guys take care of business... Semper Fi - the Marine Corps most famous saying actually is the Latin phrase which translated means, "Who's my father?":lol: The Marines take a lot of kidding from the Navy guys but they are really a great bunch of guys dedicated to service to our country.

The part in bold echo's my experience which is why I had brought it up in the first place.

No such fucking animal unless you're Lee Harvey Oswald or Charles Whitman. Once a Marine .. ALWAYS a Marine. Unless you dishonor the title.

John Mertha would be an "Ex Marine". Others who hold to their Oath are still Marines.

fail redneck is fail

How's that a fail? Murtha broke faith with the Corps. He wrongly accused Marines of murder. Marines who were subsequently acquitted. He had no evidence. Just a desire to get his name in the grade.

Whatever. You fuck family for personal gain and you're fucking out.

Let me know if I need to re-explain this to you with the big fat crayons and a Big Chief tablet.:eusa_eh:

Murtha was born June 17, 1932 in New Martinsville, West Virginia, near the Pennsylvania border, and grew up in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, southeast of Pittsburgh. He left Washington and Jefferson College in 1952 to join the Marines during the Korean War. There he earned the American Spirit Honor Medal. He rose through the ranks to become a drill instructor at Parris Island and was selected for Officer Candidate School at Quantico, Virginia. He then was assigned to the Second Marine Division, Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.

After his service, he ran a small carwash business and attended the University of Pittsburgh on the GI Bill, receiving degree in economics from Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Murtha remained in the Marine Corps Reserves. In 1959, then-Captain Murtha took command of the 34th Special Infantry Company, Marine Corps Reserves, in Johnstown. He remained in the Reserves after his discharge from active duty until he volunteered for service in Vietnam in 1966-67, serving as a battalion staff officer(S-2 Intelligence Section), receiving the Bronze Star with Combat "V" for valor in combat, two Purple Hearts and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. He retired from the Reserves as a colonel in 1990, receiving the Navy Distinguished Service Medal.

Funny how when he got into politics his values and distinguished service to his country went straight out the window along with his honor.

I agree, traitors like Murtha should never be allowed to keep their Marine designation.

For everyone else, I think 'Marine Vet' is a better description rather than 'former Marine.'

I agree, traitors like Murtha should never be allowed to keep their Marine designation.

For everyone else, I think 'Marine Vet' is a better description rather than 'former Marine.'

"Ex" is what no one wants to hear and it's nothing more than conditioning to acceptable and unacceptable terms that really mean the same thing.

As a retired Marine, I an neither a "former" nor an "ex", but I get called both by ignorant folk.:lol:

"Ex" is what no one wants to hear and it's nothing more than conditioning to acceptable and unacceptable terms that really mean the same thing.

As a retired Marine, I an neither a "former" nor an "ex", but I get called both by ignorant folk.:lol:

Gunny, my husband wasn't in the Corps for 20 or 30 years so cannot be called retired. But the USMC Gazette addresses him as Vet.

The retired that I know - some of whom are family - don't mind former but get really pissy with ex.

I have never met a Former Marine, and the one's and the only one's that hold the title of "ex" has more to do with the spouse situation. I do know an Old Navy aviator too, except I try not to too look to much at him in the mirror in the morning, not a pretty sight.

And then as a Member of Congress SHIT all over Marines on active duty. Calling them murderers and worse. He is a piece of SHIT.

Forum List

Back