Former Marine shot in Tuscon

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
SWAT team's shooting of Marine causes outrage - Yahoo! News

Ok sounds like the cops had little to no justification for the raid. Putting that aside, they had every legal right to fire if as reported and supported by his wife and the facts he came armed to the approaching police.

If his lawyer proves or reasonable can substantiate the claim they had no legal cause to be there ( to a reasonable persons test) then I suspect the city will have to pay.

In my sicker depressed days I worried about just such an occurrence. My delusional paranoia and armed cops showing up at my door might have been a recipe for disaster. Fortunately they never had a reason to come to my house except the occasional single deputy looking for my daughter.

Fucking assholes.

Pima county should pay.

ANYONE could shout "police" while violently entering a person's home. This does not mean they are, and it does not mean that a private citizen should automatically believe them as they batter the door down and come in with guns drawn.

Complete, unmitigated procedural fuckup that should not have happened. Even if it is considered the "correct" procedure, it is completely the wrong procedure.

RGS you have every right to have firearms in your house and have them in your hands when you answer the door or are on your property, at any time. I've done it on my property before.

Just because a lawfully armed American Citizen exercises his 2nd Amendment right doesn't give Cops a reason to blow him away.
But six months after the May 5 police gunfire shattered a peaceful morning and a family's life, investigators have made no arrests in the case that led to the raid. Outraged friends, co-workers and fellow Marines have called the shooting an injustice and demanded further investigation. A family lawyer has filed a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against the sheriff's office.
Looks like the Cops murdered him. I hope the Police Department gets a giant legal dick up it's ass and the offending cops go to jail for a long time.

RGS you have every right to have firearms in your house and have them in your hands when you answer the door or are on your property, at any time. I've done it on my property before.

Just because a lawfully armed American Citizen exercises his 2nd Amendment right doesn't give Cops a reason to blow him away.
But six months after the May 5 police gunfire shattered a peaceful morning and a family's life, investigators have made no arrests in the case that led to the raid. Outraged friends, co-workers and fellow Marines have called the shooting an injustice and demanded further investigation. A family lawyer has filed a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against the sheriff's office.
Looks like the Cops murdered him. I hope the Police Department gets a giant legal dick up it's ass and the offending cops go to jail for a long time.

Your rights be damned. REALITY and the LAW will side with the Cops. The only way this family gets money is if there should have been no raid to begin with.

Advocating that citizens confront a SWAT team armed is ignorant as hell. I can assure you even if he had survived but shot cops HE would be in jail. And he would be facing murder and assault charges. And unless he got a stupid Jury he would have gone to Prison.

I very rarely am speechless, however this touches me deeply there can be no justice for a life taken just punishment if warranted. I wish the family who lost some peace at this time.

Cops often get away with this kind of SNAFU.

It's been this way as long as I can remember.

Ya we have hundreds of examples right?

Still pissed you got busted for pot?

This Marine was selling pot, there is no doubt about that.
They should have also thought about the way an ex Marine who sells bought might react to men sneaking around his home. The family for sure should get money. For one, they should have never raided the house when his children were there.

They should have also thought about the way an ex Marine who sells bought might react to men sneaking around his home. The family for sure should get money. For one, they should have never raided the house when his children were there.

I doubt he was involved in the drug trade even selling pot. He obviously knew his brother and some of his friends were. I suspect the dumb ass cops sprang the raid to arrest him and get him to roll over on his friends. Why they would send a SWAT team instead of a regular car at a regular hour is anyones guess.

The city will only be forced to pay if the Lawyer can establish the raid was groundless. The people in this thread advocating meeting SWAT teams with weapons in your hands are fools indeed. That does not end well no matter what happens.

Cops don't react well when someone confronts them armed. Hell I got pulled over one night for running a yellow light, had a handgun in the seat next to me ( completely legal) But it was dark and I was pretty sure the cop couldn't see it so I told him I had a loaded weapon in the car with me and where it was.

He put his hand on his weapon and ordered me out of the car. He did a quick pat down, looked and saw the weapon then asked why I told him it was there ( you can legally car an unconcealed handgun in your car in this State) I told him I did not want him to panic if he saw it later. He apologized for patting me down and then let me go on the light running ).

Confronting cops that appear or are in the performance of their duties with a weapon is going to get you shot. Or if you are "lucky" and shot them gonna get you in Jail for a long time.

Your rights be damned. REALITY and the LAW will side with the Cops. The only way this family gets money is if there should have been no raid to begin with.

Advocating that citizens confront a SWAT team armed is ignorant as hell. I can assure you even if he had survived but shot cops HE would be in jail. And he would be facing murder and assault charges. And unless he got a stupid Jury he would have gone to Prison.
Did they find anything? No. So there shouldn't have been a raid.

If this had happened in Florida the ex-marine would have been justified in shooting the cops.

Confronting cops that appear or are in the performance of their duties with a weapon is going to get you shot. Or if you are "lucky" and shot them gonna get you in Jail for a long time.
Do you believe in Property Rights RGS? DO you believe in the 2nd Amendment? Doesn't sound like it.

You're not in the Marine Corps anymore, you have a right to personal property and to be secure in your home.

You need to stop blindly supporting Law Enforcement. These people aren't Sheriff Andy Taylor, you know. They're getting more and more Militarized and Federalized.

I doubt he was involved in the drug trade even selling pot. He obviously knew his brother and some of his friends were. I suspect the dumb ass cops sprang the raid to arrest him and get him to roll over on his friends. Why they would send a SWAT team instead of a regular car at a regular hour is anyones guess.

The city will only be forced to pay if the Lawyer can establish the raid was groundless. The people in this thread advocating meeting SWAT teams with weapons in your hands are fools indeed. That does not end well no matter what happens.

Cops don't react well when someone confronts them armed. Hell I got pulled over one night for running a yellow light, had a handgun in the seat next to me ( completely legal) But it was dark and I was pretty sure the cop couldn't see it so I told him I had a loaded weapon in the car with me and where it was.

He put his hand on his weapon and ordered me out of the car. He did a quick pat down, looked and saw the weapon then asked why I told him it was there ( you can legally car an unconcealed handgun in your car in this State) I told him I did not want him to panic if he saw it later. He apologized for patting me down and then let me go on the light running ).

You have a point, but from what I read he was probably selling pot in my opinion, or at least was involved in it somehow. I don't think they had enough on him to send Swat, and they for sure should have not sent Swat while his family was in the house. His wife or children could have been shot too. The fact his child saw him after he was shot, his son should have a nice little trust set up for him.

Keeping in mind those cops were acting on a search warrant, which they did execute after killing that young man, and no evidence was recovered to support their suspicion, what do you base your conclusion of guilt upon?

Even if he was selling marijuana I can't think of a less reasonable cause to break into his home and kill him. He had harmed no one.

If you haven't yet visited these sites I strongly suggest you do and learn what is happening in your country.

Botched Paramilitary Police Raids

http://www.cato.org/pubs/wtpapers/balko_whitepaper_2006.pdf

This type of thing is very high on the list of provocations for the American Revolution.

Last edited:
Ok sounds like the cops had little to no justification for the raid. Putting that aside, they had every legal right to fire if as reported and supported by his wife and the facts he came armed to the approaching police.
I agree without reservation that those cops had no just cause to break into that fellow's house. He was not a dangerous felon. He represented a threat to no one. And unless the cops lied on the warrant affidavit the judge who issued a break-in warrant on such flimsy grounds should be recalled. Because they had no justification, and because the cops found no evidence to support their suspicion, that young man had no cause to believe a lawful warrant could be executed on his property. So he was justified in confronting the intruders with a weapon.

You, better than most, are well aware that an ex-Marine armed with a semi-auto rifle, which is as familiar to him as was his M-16, could easily have taken out a few if not all of those cops if he was so inclined. The fact that he didn't even go off-safety is evidence to me, and to you, that he was needlessly killed.

Because I firmly believe that narcs and vice cops are the scumbags of law enforcement, in my opinion it's too bad he didn't take a couple of them out. He would have been justified in doing that.

If unidentified armed men break down your door you certainly have the right to be armed and to expect that they fully and properly ID themselves and their mission before demanding that you disarm youself.
If that didn't happen the police were in the wrong.

Forum List

Back