Former Green Beret charged with murder of Taliban bomb maker.....

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
You know, I saw this on the news this evening, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Yes, the person the Green Beret killed was a Taliban bomb maker, and yes, he was taken into custody shortly after 2 of his bombs went off, but then he was killed by an American soldier.

Granted, I get that there are certain rules that must be followed when taking prisoners into custody, and yes, I understand that the guy would want to kill the bomb maker after 2 of his friends died from the bomb.

I know that rules should be followed during wartime, but in this case, I think that I could make an exception for the Green Beret, as he WAS in an active combat zone.

But, chances are, he's gonna get a pardon. Trump has said that he's gonna look into it and the possibility of a pardon is pretty good.

Former Green Beret charged with murder of suspected Taliban bombmaker

A former U.S. Army Green Beret has been charged with the 2010 murder of a man he suspected of being a Taliban bomb maker.

The charges follow multiple investigations of Major Matthew Golsteyn's role in the man's death that he once admitted to Fox News during a 2016 interview.

"Major Matthew Golsteyn's immediate commander has determined that sufficient evidence exists to warrant the preferral of charges against him," said Lt. Col. Loren Bymer, a spokesman for U.S. Army Special Operations Command.

"Major Golsteyn has been charged with the murder of an Afghan male during his 2010 deployment to Afghanistan," he continued.

On Thursday, Golsteyn's attorney Philip Stackhouse tweeted that he had been charged with "premeditated murder, a death penalty offense for allegedly killing a Taliban bomb-maker during combat operations in Marjah, Afghanistan."

Don’t frickin send people overseas to war and not expect them to kill the enemy! Obama is stupid!

It wasn't because of Obama that charges are being brought against him. He was interviewed a while back on FOX news, and he admitted that she shot the bomb maker. Off of the information in that interview, the Army decided they had enough to press charges on him.

Only thing is, now Trump has said he's gonna personally review the case, which leaves the very real possibility of a pardon, even if the Army charges him.

Don’t frickin send people overseas to war and not expect them to kill the enemy! Obama is stupid!

It wasn't because of Obama that charges are being brought against him. He was interviewed a while back on FOX news, and he admitted that she shot the bomb maker. Off of the information in that interview, the Army decided they had enough to press charges on him.

Only thing is, now Trump has said he's gonna personally review the case, which leaves the very real possibility of a pardon, even if the Army charges him.
Because at the time he was serving under Obama’s rules of engagement!

We do not kill defenseless POWs. The US Military has a Code of Conduct and those who break it get punished as they should.

It has nothing to do with ROE, the man was a prisoner at the time he was killed. We do not kill defenseless prisoners.

The soldier shot and killed someone who had already been taken into custody. No, it's not Obama's ROE that says it's illegal to kill prisoners without a trial, it's the Geneva Conventions.

We do not kill defenseless POWs. The US Military has a Code of Conduct and those who break it get punished as they should.

You know, that is why I have mixed feelings about this Gator. I understand that we can't kill prisoners in custody because of the Geneva Conventions, but I also understand why that Green Beret would want to kill the bomb maker that had made the bomb that killed 2 of his comrades.

Like I said, mixed feelings. But, you have to admit, it was kinda stupid to admit to killing him on an interview on national television. Something like that, you should keep among your close friends who you talk military with.

You know, that is why I have mixed feelings about this Gator. I understand that we can't kill prisoners in custody because of the Geneva Conventions, but I also understand why that Green Beret would want to kill the bomb maker that had made the bomb that killed 2 of his comrades.

Like I said, mixed feelings. But, you have to admit, it was kinda stupid to admit to killing him on an interview on national television. Something like that, you should keep among your close friends who you talk military with.

What's next? A cop kills someone in custody that was responsible for their partners death? Would you think twice about that as well.

Bottom line, if we start to act like the savages we are fighting, we become no better than them

The soldier shot and killed someone who had already been taken into custody. No, it's not Obama's ROE that says it's illegal to kill prisoners without a trial, it's the Geneva Conventions.
I stand corrected. Not that any other country ever bothers to observe the Geneva Conventions!

I stand corrected. Not that any other country ever bothers to observe the Geneva Conventions!

Actually, if they signed them, they have to follow them. Most countries follow the Conventions, but the terrorists, being a loosely formed military with no training or discipline don't.

If we are gonna play games with our men killing the enemy which is the object of War..........then we need to get the fuck out.

War is murder........as far as I'm concerned he killed the enemy..........why anyone would want to serve when you need a lawyer to fight with is beyond me anymore...........this is crazy.

By Taliban...........go to your 72 virgins.

If we are gonna play games with our men killing the enemy which is the object of War..........then we need to get the fuck out.

War is murder........as far as I'm concerned he killed the enemy..........why anyone would want to serve when you need a lawyer to fight with is beyond me anymore...........this is crazy.

You are a fucking moron. We do not kill POWs just for the hell of it.

He did not kill the guy in a fire fight or on the battlefield, but when he was a defenseless prisoner.

What's next? A cop kills someone in custody that was responsible for their partners death? Would you think twice about that as well.

Bottom line, if we start to act like the savages we are fighting, we become no better than them

But we are savages. We used to stare our enemies in the eye and bayonet them. Now we send cruise missiles from thousands of miles away, and call it civilized.

You are a fucking moron. We do not kill POWs just for the hell of it.

He did not kill the guy in a fire fight or on the battlefield, but when he was a defenseless prisoner.
I really don't care.............The asshole was killing Americans and he took his ass out..........

In my opinion we need to get the hell out of there and let them kill each other.........I don't care about the Middle East anymore.........Let them rot.......we don't need the stinking place.

In my opinion we need to get the hell out of there and let them kill each other.........I don't care about the Middle East anymore.........Let them rot.......we don't need the stinking place.

Finally, something we can agree on.

You know, I saw this on the news this evening, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Yes, the person the Green Beret killed was a Taliban bomb maker, and yes, he was taken into custody shortly after 2 of his bombs went off, but then he was killed by an American soldier.

Granted, I get that there are certain rules that must be followed when taking prisoners into custody, and yes, I understand that the guy would want to kill the bomb maker after 2 of his friends died from the bomb.

I know that rules should be followed during wartime, but in this case, I think that I could make an exception for the Green Beret, as he WAS in an active combat zone.

But, chances are, he's gonna get a pardon. Trump has said that he's gonna look into it and the possibility of a pardon is pretty good.

Former Green Beret charged with murder of suspected Taliban bombmaker

A former U.S. Army Green Beret has been charged with the 2010 murder of a man he suspected of being a Taliban bomb maker.

The charges follow multiple investigations of Major Matthew Golsteyn's role in the man's death that he once admitted to Fox News during a 2016 interview.

"Major Matthew Golsteyn's immediate commander has determined that sufficient evidence exists to warrant the preferral of charges against him," said Lt. Col. Loren Bymer, a spokesman for U.S. Army Special Operations Command.

"Major Golsteyn has been charged with the murder of an Afghan male during his 2010 deployment to Afghanistan," he continued.

On Thursday, Golsteyn's attorney Philip Stackhouse tweeted that he had been charged with "premeditated murder, a death penalty offense for allegedly killing a Taliban bomb-maker during combat operations in Marjah, Afghanistan."
Yeah, he can get the death penalty for killing one person, and Eric Holder who killed 10,000 Mexicans gets to walk.

But we are savages. We used to stare our enemies in the eye and bayonet them. Now we send cruise missiles from thousands of miles away, and call it civilized.
I like the idea of what we did in Dresden Germany back in the day.. 35,000 ft and the city burned for days.....That is how you win a war, not with precision attacks where only a few die.....

My solution to the end of radical Islam? Send out a message that all US forces are going to attack Mecca and Medina. Wait a few months till both cities fill up, then place a tactical Nuke into both cities, problem with radicals Muslims are solved.

Forum List

Back