former astronaut speaks out on global warming

My, my, our mythical physicist chimes in. Well, no, the warming on Mars is not global, it is regional, and has nothing at all to do with our present warming. Nor are we cooling. 11 of the warmest years on record in the last 150 have been in the last 13 years. That is harldly indictutive of a cooling trend. And here is what real physicists have to say;
Venus & Mars

When you reply to someone, make sure you click 'Quote' so that they know you are responding to their post. Based on the content of your post, I will assume that you were attempting to reply to me.

First off, why do you think I'm a 'mythical' physicist? I am, in fact, a Physicist with the degrees to prove it. You, on the other hand, just have a passing knowledge of the subject with no basis for understanding. You suffer from what is known as 'Arrogance from Ignorance'. In other words, you have a little bit of knowledge which has made you arrogant, yet you are completely ignorant of the subject. No matter. I have seen this many times in my life. You are certainly not the first.

There is a lot of information that the planet is cooling, but since you would rather try to prove your point first and then look at the data later, you don't see it. Many ignorant people do this, even some degreed scientists, so don't feel too bad. As we say in the business, "In God We Trust, all others bring data." I would recommend you look at the data first, but since that is not possible for an 'old rock' like you, I'll merely try to educate the young so that they don't make the same mistakes as you have made.

Global cooling articles:

January 2008 - 4 sources say “globally cooler” in the past 12 months « Watts Up With That?
Global Cooling? [1998-2005 data shows cooling trend]
World Climate Report » The Coming Global Cooling?

I enjoyed the link you posted:

Venus & Mars

It's a great history lesson. Everyone who is interested in Science should read it. However, it doesn't support anything you've said. As I said, it is merely a history lesson concerning the study of atmospheres of other planets.

Again, I realize there is no hope for you understanding the data since you have an agenda (or in your case, a religion) that you have chosen to follow, but perhaps people who are younger and/or more open-minded will be more open-minded to the Scientific Method.

Anthony Watts is a weather presenter for KPAY-AM radio, listed as meteorologist by the radio station[1] but listed as a retired Television Seal Holder (not as a meteorologist) by the American Meteorological Society.[2] In 2007, Watts founded SurfaceStations.org, a website devoted to photographing and documenting the quality of weather stations. [3]

Contents [hide]
1 Career
2 SurfaceStations.org
3 View on Global Warming
4 References
5 External links

[edit] Career
Watts became a television weatherman in 1987 when he joined KHSL-TV, a CBS affiliate based in Chico, California. After 17 years working at KHSL, he was replaced by Kris Kuyper [4] in 2004. He then became the radio weatherman for KPAY-AM, a Fox News affiliate also based in Chico, California. Watts also operates a company called ItWorks[5] which makes weather graphics systems for use on television broadcasts.

[edit] SurfaceStations.org
In 2007 Watts launched the 'Surface Stations' project, whose mission is "Via collaboration, creation of a publicly available photographic database of weather stations and weather station metadata."[6] The project relies on volunteers to gather the data. There are no qualification requirements.[7]

The project has received moral support from Roger A. Pielke and Stephen McIntyre. Pielke described the effort as filling "a very important need for the climate science community".[8] Watts is a regular contributor to McIntyre's website, Climate Audit where he posts some pictures of particularly poorly sited stations. Jay Lawrimore, chief of the climate monitoring branch of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration's National Climatic Data Center said "I think any effort to better understand the observation system that's used to collect data and analyze it is helpful."[9]

[edit] View on Global Warming
Watts has stated that he had "at one time been fully engaged in the belief that CO2 was indeed the root cause of the global warming problem" but "later changed my thinking when I learned more about the science involved and found it to be lacking."[10] He established the blog "Watts Up With That?"[11] to popularise his views on global warming and the controversy around the science.

Anthony Watts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is this what you call a scientist? That really calls your credentials into question.

My, my, our mythical physicist chimes in. Well, no, the warming on Mars is not global, it is regional, and has nothing at all to do with our present warming. Nor are we cooling. 11 of the warmest years on record in the last 150 have been in the last 13 years. That is harldly indictutive of a cooling trend. And here is what real physicists have to say;
Venus & Mars

When you reply to someone, make sure you click 'Quote' so that they know you are responding to their post. Based on the content of your post, I will assume that you were attempting to reply to me.

First off, why do you think I'm a 'mythical' physicist? I am, in fact, a Physicist with the degrees to prove it. You, on the other hand, just have a passing knowledge of the subject with no basis for understanding. You suffer from what is known as 'Arrogance from Ignorance'. In other words, you have a little bit of knowledge which has made you arrogant, yet you are completely ignorant of the subject. No matter. I have seen this many times in my life. You are certainly not the first.

There is a lot of information that the planet is cooling, but since you would rather try to prove your point first and then look at the data later, you don't see it. Many ignorant people do this, even some degreed scientists, so don't feel too bad. As we say in the business, "In God We Trust, all others bring data." I would recommend you look at the data first, but since that is not possible for an 'old rock' like you, I'll merely try to educate the young so that they don't make the same mistakes as you have made.

Global cooling articles:

January 2008 - 4 sources say “globally cooler” in the past 12 months « Watts Up With That?

Venus & Mars

It's a great history lesson. Everyone who is interested in Science should read it. However, it doesn't support anything you've said. As I said, it is merely a history lesson concerning the study of atmospheres of other planets.

Again, I realize there is no hope for you understanding the data since you have an agenda (or in your case, a religion) that you have chosen to follow, but perhaps people who are younger and/or more open-minded will be more open-minded to the Scientific Method.

Anthony Watts is a weather presenter for KPAY-AM radio, listed as meteorologist by the radio station[1] but listed as a retired Television Seal Holder (not as a meteorologist) by the American Meteorological Society.[2] In 2007, Watts founded SurfaceStations.org, a website devoted to photographing and documenting the quality of weather stations. [3]

Contents [hide]
1 Career
2 SurfaceStations.org
3 View on Global Warming
4 References
5 External links

[edit] Career
Watts became a television weatherman in 1987 when he joined KHSL-TV, a CBS affiliate based in Chico, California. After 17 years working at KHSL, he was replaced by Kris Kuyper [4] in 2004. He then became the radio weatherman for KPAY-AM, a Fox News affiliate also based in Chico, California. Watts also operates a company called ItWorks[5] which makes weather graphics systems for use on television broadcasts.

In 2007 Watts launched the 'Surface Stations' project, whose mission is "Via collaboration, creation of a publicly available photographic database of weather stations and weather station metadata."[6] The project relies on volunteers to gather the data. There are no qualification requirements.[7]

The project has received moral support from Roger A. Pielke and Stephen McIntyre. Pielke described the effort as filling "a very important need for the climate science community".[8] Watts is a regular contributor to McIntyre's website, Climate Audit where he posts some pictures of particularly poorly sited stations. Jay Lawrimore, chief of the climate monitoring branch of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration's National Climatic Data Center said "I think any effort to better understand the observation system that's used to collect data and analyze it is helpful."[9]

Watts has stated that he had "at one time been fully engaged in the belief that CO2 was indeed the root cause of the global warming problem" but "later changed my thinking when I learned more about the science involved and found it to be lacking."[10] He established the blog "Watts Up With That?"[11] to popularise his views on global warming and the controversy around the science.

Is this what you call a scientist? That really calls your credentials into question.

i always run my choice of scientists past a millwright to make sure i'm making the right choices.

Venus & Mars

Global cooling articles:

Venus & Mars

Contents [hide]
1 Career
2 SurfaceStations.org
3 View on Global Warming
4 References
5 External links

[edit] Career

What about your credentials..rockhead...what's your credentials??? I bet Watts are better...

This is why I never give out my sources to you. All you can do is attack them. I've stated that before rockhead. You never read what is said, but attack the source because it doesn't agree with you. You are arrogant in ingnorance...by the way, I did notice you didn't refute that.....hmm.

Last edited:
Venus & Mars

Global cooling articles:

Venus & Mars

Contents [hide]
1 Career
2 SurfaceStations.org
3 View on Global Warming
4 References
5 External links

[edit] Career

i always run my choice of scientists past a millwright to make sure i'm making the right choices.

if there's no millwright handy, i look for a real estate agent.

OK, X, I looked at this site. The GISS graph from 1880 to Jan08 gives lie to your cooling scenerio. The low point of the Jan08 is higher than any point before 1920. Not only that, but 2008 was a solar minimum, and also a strong La Nina of exceptional duration. Yet it still tied 2001 as the eighth warmest year on record. In fact, 11 of the warmest years on record have occurred in the last 13 years. How does that translate to a cooling trend?

OK, X, I looked at this site. The GISS graph from 1880 to Jan08 gives lie to your cooling scenerio. The low point of the Jan08 is higher than any point before 1920. Not only that, but 2008 was a solar minimum, and also a strong La Nina of exceptional duration. Yet it still tied 2001 as the eighth warmest year on record. In fact, 11 of the warmest years on record have occurred in the last 13 years. How does that translate to a cooling trend?
It's translated onto a broken record...rockhead

Patrick J. Michaels (±1942- ), also known as Pat Michaels, is a "global warming skeptic" who argues that global warming models are fatally flawed and, in any event, we should take no action because new technologies will soon replace those that emit greenhouse gases.

Michaels, who has completed a Ph.D. in Ecological Climatology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison (1979) is Editor of the World Climate Report. He is also associated with two think tanks: a Visiting Scientist with the George C. Marshall Institute and a Senior Fellow in Environmental Studies with the Cato Institute.

Michaels was previously a Professor of Environmental Science at the University of Virgina. While Michaels referred to himself as the State Climatologist for Virginia, in August 2006 the Governor clarified that the appointment was one by the University for its accredited climatology office but not an appointment by the state administration. [1] When Michaels left the university in September 2007, UVa professor James N. Galloway explained that Michaels' "utility industry funding, private research and controversial views on global warming made him a lightning rod on climate change issues," and "left the [climatologist's] office too politicized." [2]

According to the dataset of the UK Met Office Hadley Centre (see figure), 1998 was the warmest year by far since records began, but since 2003 there has been slight cooling.

But according to the dataset of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (see figure), 2005 was the warmest since records began, with 1998 and 2007 tied in second place.

Climate myths: Global warming stopped in 1998 - environment - 15 August 2008 - New Scientist

Tracking the heat
Why the difference? The main reason is that there are no permanent weather stations in the Arctic Ocean, the place on Earth that has been warming fastest. The Hadley record simply excludes this area, whereas the NASA version assumes its surface temperature is the same as that of the nearest land-based stations.
Swaddling gases
Think again about that scantily clad person at the South Pole. If they put on some clothing, they'll appear cooler to a thermal imager, but what's really happening is that they are losing less heat.

Similarly, if you could look at Earth through a thermal imager, it would appear slightly cooler than it did a few decades ago. The reason is that the outer atmosphere, the stratosphere, is cooler because we've added more "clothing" to the lower atmosphere in the form of greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide.

As a result, the planet is gaining as much heat from the sun as usual but losing less heat every year as greenhouse gas levels rise (apart from the exceptional periods after major volcanic eruptions, such as El Chichon in 1982 and Pinatubo in 1991).

How do we know? Because the oceans are getting warmer.

here in California we used to have a few weeks of 100 degree plus days,did not have a lot of them this year,and we have had some less than 55 degree days out here,which is cold for out here,and in the last couple of months i have delivered mail in the rain in 40-50 degree temps.....and it was FUCKING COLD let me tell ya....and that is a first for me in 29 years of carrying.....global warming?...you got me fooled....

It translates into facts that you cannot deny. Instead you just do the right field 'neener, neener' bit.

here in California we used to have a few weeks of 100 degree plus days,did not have a lot of them this year,and we have had some less than 55 degree days out here,which is cold for out here,and in the last couple of months i have delivered mail in the rain in 40-50 degree temps.....and it was FUCKING COLD let me tell ya....and that is a first for me in 29 years of carrying.....global warming?...you got me fooled....

And Australia is have a record hot summer. One of the predictions of global warming is wider and wilder swings in the weather with an overall warming trend. That is precisely what we are seeing.

Yeah? Well I don't believe that guy walked on the moon. It was all filmed in Hollywood.

Global warming a hoax??? Seems like the glaciers are shrinking. Water levels are up. Hurricanes don't just blow, they suck now too.. How can we think that humans haven't had an effect when we pave/build over more and more grassy areas, burn more fossil fuel, and utilize more chemicals than ever before.. Forests that use to cool the climates are gone. If I had to guess, I would say we are causing something negative to occur.

As far as space travel and lunar landings go,,,,, Americans haven't been able to build a car that didn't fart/burp every ten thousand miles until recently. We still have ships running aground, and into each other. Our planes crash for no apparent reason. Tubes and transistor theory, electronics as a whole, would have been pushed to the ultimate max during the times we claimed to have landed on the moon. We are talking sending men, and Lunar landers up, and down, then up, and up and away to home....??? I want proof that we actually landed. In the meantime, it is a nice story.

It translates into facts that you cannot deny. Instead you just do the right field 'neener, neener' bit.
I find it very easy to deny, rockhead. Your facts come from faulty science, and you just keep regurgitating them. Garbage in, garbage out. You believe what you want, but don't shove your faulty science on to me, and say the debate is over. Then when someone else brings to the table something different than your science, and demean it. That's just juvenile, dude.

I find it very easy to deny, rockhead. Your facts come from faulty science, and you just keep regurgitating them. Garbage in, garbage out. You believe what you want, but don't shove your faulty science on to me, and say the debate is over. Then when someone else brings to the table something different than your science, and demean it. That's just juvenile, dude.

Lordy, lordy, all that verbage and not a single site to back it up with. The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

In the 19th century, scientists realized that gases in the atmosphere cause a "greenhouse effect" which affects the planet's temperature. These scientists were interested chiefly in the possibility that a lower level of carbon dioxide gas might explain the ice ages of the distant past. At the turn of the century, Svante Arrhenius calculated that emissions from human industry might someday bring a global warming. Other scientists dismissed his idea as faulty. In 1938, G.S. Callendar argued that the level of carbon dioxide was climbing and raising global temperature, but most scientists found his arguments implausible. It was almost by chance that a few researchers in the 1950s discovered that global warming truly was possible. In the early 1960s, C.D. Keeling measured the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere: it was rising fast. Researchers began to take an interest, struggling to understand how the level of carbon dioxide had changed in the past, and how the level was influenced by chemical and biological forces. They found that the gas plays a crucial role in climate change, so that the rising level could gravely affect our future. (This essay covers only developments relating directly to carbon dioxide, with a separate essay for Other Greenhouse Gases. For related theoretical issues, see the essay on Simple Models of Climate.)

SANTA FE, N.M. - Former astronaut Harrison Schmitt, who walked on the moon and once served New Mexico in the U.S. Senate, doesn’t believe that humans are causing global warming.
aid.

Who cares? The guy hasn't worked in his scientific field (geology) in 34 years. So I don't see how his opinion is relevant.

Lordy, lordy, all that verbage and not a single site to back it up with. The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

In the 19th century, scientists realized that gases in the atmosphere cause a "greenhouse effect" which affects the planet's temperature. These scientists were interested chiefly in the possibility that a lower level of carbon dioxide gas might explain the ice ages of the distant past. At the turn of the century, Svante Arrhenius calculated that emissions from human industry might someday bring a global warming. Other scientists dismissed his idea as faulty. In 1938, G.S. Callendar argued that the level of carbon dioxide was climbing and raising global temperature, but most scientists found his arguments implausible. It was almost by chance that a few researchers in the 1950s discovered that global warming truly was possible. In the early 1960s, C.D. Keeling measured the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere: it was rising fast. Researchers began to take an interest, struggling to understand how the level of carbon dioxide had changed in the past, and how the level was influenced by chemical and biological forces. They found that the gas plays a crucial role in climate change, so that the rising level could gravely affect our future. (This essay covers only developments relating directly to carbon dioxide, with a separate essay for Other Greenhouse Gases. For related theoretical issues, see the essay on Simple Models of Climate.)

Your just an idiot, rockhead. No more, and no less. Like I said you bring faulty science...get over it.

As far as space travel and lunar landings go,,,,, Americans haven't been able to build a car that didn't fart/burp every ten thousand miles until recently. We still have ships running aground, and into each other. Our planes crash for no apparent reason. Tubes and transistor theory, electronics as a whole, would have been pushed to the ultimate max during the times we claimed to have landed on the moon. We are talking sending men, and Lunar landers up, and down, then up, and up and away to home....??? I want proof that we actually landed. In the meantime, it is a nice story.

give me a break will ya.....dont you think that if it was a hoax that the Soviets,who were also up there with Space Tech.would have said something years ago,LIKE WE DID NOT DETECT ANY CRAFT ORBITING THE MOON?....which i am more than sure they would have done....any land based telescopes could would have verified this easily,which they did.....you have been watching to many OJ Simpson movies....

Melting glaciers, melting ice caps, and rising temperatures....

Nothing faulty about the science.

Likewise, no one denies that increasing CO2 in the atmosphere caused the earth to warm.

No one.

Melting glaciers, melting ice caps, and rising temperatures....

Nothing faulty about the science.

Likewise, no one denies that increasing CO2 in the atmosphere caused the earth to warm.

No one.

Whatever, Chris.

Forum List

Back