Foriegn Opinions of Nobel Prize

RadiomanATL

Jun 13, 2009
Not here
Foreign Newspapers on Obama’s Nobel Prize Victory
The left-wing NRC Handelsblad (Netherlands): ”What got into the committee to award this prize to a man who has yet to live up to the high expectations? Were they drunk?”
Center-left to center Volkskrant (Netherlands): ”It’s clear that Obama has increasingly more difficulty meeting expectations. His inspiring words about peace and deproliferation have yet to be supported by any concrete results. What is meant to be a reward [for great achievements], could very well end up being tremendous burden for Obama.”
The Guardian: It is as if the prize committee had been persuaded to give the award on the future delivery of promises.
The right-of-center Telegraaf (Netherlands): “This isn’t the first mistake of the Committee, but it is the biggest. The value of the Nobel Peace Prize has been diminished.”

The Times of London: “Rarely has an award had such an obvious political and partisan intent.

The Telegraph: “To reward him for a blank results sheet, to inflate him when he has no achievements to his name, makes a mockery of what, let’s face it, is an already fairly discredited process...

Il Giornale (Italy): “Let me be clear: the discourse on Islam in Cairo was beautiful, tall, and it opens up new horizons, but did not lead to anything. And on the other matter, as pointed out repeatedly in this blog, Obama has been evasive or inconclusive, starting with Iran and Afghanistan. Nor can he boast the merits of rapprochement with North Korea, which was brought about by Bill Clinton. He kept only one real promise: the gradual withdrawal from Iraq. Enough to deserve the Nobel Prize?”

Spiegel (Germany): “The Nobel Peace Prize has come too early for Barack Obama. The US president cannot point to any real diplomatic successes to date and there are few prospects of any to come.”

National Post (Canada): “Obama is being given his award for mere words — for striking fashionable poses in favour of multilateralism, for making a nice speech in Cairo, for offering “hope.” Months after Americans learned to dismiss Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign slogans as the meaningless bromides they were, Scandinavians are still drinking his Kool-aid.”

Obama has some apologizing to do.

And, for those who will argue that he has nothing to apologize for recieiving a prize, I wholeheartedly agree.

As he and those who are doe-eyed groupies of him feel the need to apologize for perceptions of past arrogance, this would be right up that alley. Perception is everything, right?

And, for those who will argue that he has nothing to apologize for recieiving a prize, I wholeheartedly agree.

As he and those who are doe-eyed groupies of him feel the need to apologize for perceptions of past arrogance, this would be right up that alley. Perception is everything, right?

This time to the American people.

since when did wingnuts give a shit what the world thinks unless it fits their agenda

Unless he had a hand in the nomination or in lobbying the Nobel committee, I'm not sure I see anything for which he has to apologize. If neither of the above are the case, then he didn't do anything to deserve condemnation, just as he didn't do anything to deserve the award.

If anyone should apologize, it's the Nobel committee that should apologize to previous winners.

And, for those who will argue that he has nothing to apologize for receiving a prize, I wholeheartedly agree.

Unless he had a hand in the nomination or in lobbying the Nobel committee, I'm not sure I see anything for which he has to apologize. If neither of the above are the case, then he didn't do anything to deserve condemnation, just as he didn't do anything to deserve the award.

If anyone should apologize, it's the Nobel committee that should apologize to previous winners.
Good thing I included the bolded part above, eh? :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back