Forgive Student Loan Debt

My son will finish college after 1 more year. I've been drilling into his head since high school that the first thing he does with each check when (if) he gets a job after college, is make a loan payment... and pay extra if you can manage it.

Oh, yes. Short-sighted jackasses, who should have known the law would be changed mid-stream.

How about this one? The dad should keep working, right? That's my guess. His son's death should absolutely not affect the debt.

Bank relents on loan for dead S.J. student | Courier-Post | courierpostonline.com

Bryski, a 25-year-old Rutgers University graduate, died in 2006 after suffering catastrophic injuries in a fall two years earlier. His father, Joe, who had co-signed private loans of about $50,000 for his son’s college education, then had to come out of retirement to make monthly payments on the debt.

The family, which tried for six years to have the debt discharged by Key Bank, said the Cleveland-based firm now has agreed to do that. The change came after Ryan Bryski, Christopher’s brother, began an online petition drive that drew 80,000 signatures in less than a week.

“When Christopher died, my family didn’t just lose a loved one — we inherited debt for an education that will never be used,” Ryan Bryski said in the online petitition.

Absolutely he should have to repay the debt. He co-signed for it didn't he? Did he promise to pay if his son did not? Yes he did. They did not inherit a debt. It was always theirs. The dad promised to pay.

Be careful what you co-sign for.

It's a teachable moment. If you co-sign for a loan, get a life insurance policy to pay it off in case the primary borrower dies.

Oh, yes. Short-sighted jackasses, who should have known the law would be changed mid-stream.

How about this one? The dad should keep working, right? That's my guess. His son's death should absolutely not affect the debt.

Bank relents on loan for dead S.J. student | Courier-Post | courierpostonline.com

Bryski, a 25-year-old Rutgers University graduate, died in 2006 after suffering catastrophic injuries in a fall two years earlier. His father, Joe, who had co-signed private loans of about $50,000 for his son’s college education, then had to come out of retirement to make monthly payments on the debt.

The family, which tried for six years to have the debt discharged by Key Bank, said the Cleveland-based firm now has agreed to do that. The change came after Ryan Bryski, Christopher’s brother, began an online petition drive that drew 80,000 signatures in less than a week.

“When Christopher died, my family didn’t just lose a loved one — we inherited debt for an education that will never be used,” Ryan Bryski said in the online petitition.

as was pointed out to you, rule changes do NOT affect existing student loan contracts.

As for this story, sad, but has nothing to do with the OP, which is a bogus sign with bogus numbers, designed to gain sympathy for someone who doesn't think they should be responsible for their own decisions.

You are responsible for your actions and decisions.
If you aren't willing to keep up on your financial commitments, then you have no one to blame but yourself for the pile of shit you find yourself in.

I'm all for forgiving it, but I don't think the universities who robbed these kiddies have any intention of paying it back to them.

why forgive student debt? That will really teach them personal and fiscal responsibility won't it?
:cuckoo:

Money management and the consequences of debt is a major lesson that students MUST learn in order to do well in life.

Last edited:

Same thing with a car payment or house payment. Just because you die doesn't mean that loan should not be paid off.
You buy a new car, you wreck it, you still pay off that loan, even though you don't have the new car any longer.
When you co sign anything and something happens to the one who took out the loan. That loan still has to be paid off.

This is Obama's political ploy to get the college students to vote for him. That is all this is.
Same old Democratic ploy, vote for me and your student loans will be forgiven. Also add I'm the cool President vote for me.

When has Obama said he is going to abolish student debt?

He didn't. However, when running for office in 2008, he never said he was going to pay peoples bills, yet people believed he would and voted for him...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1FCmfo2Ft4]obama will pay my bills!! - YouTube[/ame]

What's different now?

Same thing with a car payment or house payment. Just because you die doesn't mean that loan should not be paid off.
You buy a new car, you wreck it, you still pay off that loan, even though you don't have the new car any longer.
When you co sign anything and something happens to the one who took out the loan. That loan still has to be paid off.

Absent a co-signer, death discharges student debt, as it should.

but there was a co-signer in BD's story, and they became responsible. That's how it works.

This is Obama's political ploy to get the college students to vote for him. That is all this is.
Same old Democratic ploy, vote for me and your student loans will be forgiven. Also add I'm the cool President vote for me.

He didn't. However, when running for office in 2008, he never said he was going to pay peoples bills, yet people believed he would and voted for him...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1FCmfo2Ft4]obama will pay my bills!! - YouTube[/ame]

What's different now?

So the fact that some people are fucking stupid is Obama's fault?

Once it gets all it can from the estate.

but there was a co-signer in BD's story, and they became responsible. That's how it works.

I agree, but if there is no co-signer, the bank eats it.

It's all part of the finance game and death is a risk that factors into interest rates.

What's different now?

So the fact that some people are fucking stupid is Obama's fault?

Did I say it was? No, I was simply explaining the other posters reasoning. I did not say I agreed with it.

Also, I was pointing out that stupid people believed it last time, stupid people might believe it this time as well.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back