Forgetting Tiananmen

Discussion in 'Asia' started by onedomino, Feb 19, 2005.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    I have been in Tiananmen Square, taken there by a friend who was present the night that the PLA and Chinese police murdered up to 2000 unarmed pro-democracy demonstrators. That night, my friend stood next to a TV camera crew. The young Chinese women who was holding the TV lights was shot in the head, not five feet from where he stood. He knelt down to help her but realized she was dead, her brains splattered all over the sidewalk. My friend took me to the very place that it happened. "There," he said. "And there. Those are the places where I saw the murders.

2. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    Sorry, O.D. but the USA is in no position to bitch about the EU's continuation of trade restrictions.

Not when we sit here and funnel billions and billions of dollars to the Chinese through that funnel known as Wal Mart.

3. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    What? Buying toasters made in China somehow makes us ineligible to complain about EU weapons sales to the PLA. Not true.

4. sagegirl

sagegirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    You hit that nail on the head....trade restrictions and embargoes can have a great impact IMO but they have to be tough and they have to be unconditional.

5. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,861
    Good to see China timely release of activists rounded up before Tiananmen Square anniversary...
    :eusa_clap:
    China Begins Releasing Dissidents Following Tiananmen Anniversary
    June 05, 2014 ~ China has begun releasing activists it rounded up before Wednesday's 25th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre.

6. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,872
    The usual clamp-down around the anniversary was particularly Orwellian this year. The old boys in the CCP are nervous.