Forget Rangel and Murtha: Prosecute Catholic Bishops!

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
While I dislike and would not use Erickson's term 'baby killers', the larger issue here is whether the Catholic Bishops (or persons associated with any other tax-exempt group) should be able to publicly speak out on the abortion issues or any other ethical concerns.

I think there is no question that no tax exempt group should be advocating for or campaigning for any political candidate or appointee. But does speaking out on the issues count?

Forget Murtha and Rangel, Let’s Prosecute Catholic Bishops!
Posted by Erick Erickson
Tuesday, November 10th at 11:00AM EST

The Democrats have a number of members being investigated for corruption. The FBI is looking into a few. William Jefferson (D-LA) is going to jail. The House Democratic Leadership is blocking other investigations.

Both Murtha and Rangel have issues. But Lynn Woolsey, Chairman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, that congressional body that takes pride in the Progressive Movement’s eugenics experiments and efforts to sterilize black women and the mentally disabled back at the start of the twentieth century, does not want Charlie Rangel and Jack Murtha investigated.

Instead, Lynn Woolsey — a friend of Speaker Pelosi’s — wants Catholic Bishops investigated.

The role the bishops played in the pushing the Stupak amendment, which unfairly restricts access for low-income women to insurance coverage for abortions, was more than mere advocacy.

Even though it's a blog, please follow our copyright guidelines, thanks - KK
Forget Murtha and Rangel, Let’s Prosecute Catholic Bishops! - Erick’s blog - RedState

The USSC usually sides with free-speech. Like limiting how much the wealthy can contribute is limiting their free-speech. I would absolutely love it if the dems hauled the Catholic Bishops in front of the Committees and grilled them about Stupak or any other "pro-life" position. Wow. Could you imagine!!!

Last edited:
While I dislike and would not use Erickson's term 'baby killers', the larger issue here is whether the Catholic Bishops (or persons associated with any other tax-exempt group) should be able to publicly speak out on the abortion issues or any other ethical concerns.

I think there is no question that no tax exempt group should be advocating for or campaigning for any political candidate or appointee. But does speaking out on the issues count?

Forget Murtha and Rangel, Let’s Prosecute Catholic Bishops!
Posted by Erick Erickson
Tuesday, November 10th at 11:00AM EST

The Democrats have a number of members being investigated for corruption. The FBI is looking into a few. William Jefferson (D-LA) is going to jail. The House Democratic Leadership is blocking other investigations.

Both Murtha and Rangel have issues. But Lynn Woolsey, Chairman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, that congressional body that takes pride in the Progressive Movement’s eugenics experiments and efforts to sterilize black women and the mentally disabled back at the start of the twentieth century, does not want Charlie Rangel and Jack Murtha investigated.

Instead, Lynn Woolsey — a friend of Speaker Pelosi’s — wants Catholic Bishops investigated.

The role the bishops played in the pushing the Stupak amendment, which unfairly restricts access for low-income women to insurance coverage for abortions, was more than mere advocacy.

They seemed to dictate the finer points of the amendment, and managed to bully members of Congress to vote for added restrictions on a perfectly legal surgical procedure.

Forget Murtha and Rangel, Let’s Prosecute Catholic Bishops! - Erick’s blog - RedState

No, it's called free speech.

So now the Dems want to prevent 501C from speaking out on the very issues for which many of them were formed in the first place? Karl and His kissing cousin goebbels would be so proud...

The Catholic church should be investigated for protecting pedophiles.

The USSC usually sides with free-speech. Like limiting how much the wealthy can contribute is limiting their free-speech. I would absolutely love it if the dems hauled the Catholic Bishops in front of the Committees and grilled them about Stupak or any other "pro-life" position. Wow. Could you imagine!!!

The USSC is right. The Catholic Church has every right to speak out on it's positions. It does not promote one particular party....

On the day that our politicians are shown to be honest and fair in their actions, then they can worry about who else is voicing an opinion. Until that day, I'd rather see taxpayers money spent investigating congress critters instead of religions.

I thought all American Catholics stopped listening to the Catholic Church?

Sort of like how the Anglicans stopped believing in Christianity.

I thought all American Catholics stopped listening to the Catholic Church?

Sort of like how the Anglicans stopped believing in Christianity.

No, lots of Catholics take their religion seriously and listen to the Church. Kinda old fashioned but millions of Catholics - like lots of other faiths - take their religion seriously.

No, lots of Catholics take their religion seriously and listen to the Church. Kinda old fashioned but millions of Catholics - like lots of other faiths - take their religion seriously.

So I do not even have to have sex with you to get you pregnant?

A lose, lose for both of us.

Last edited:

Actually, I'd love to see them grilled on how they shuffled and hide child molestors for decades...passing them on to unsuspecting congregation to unsuspecting congregation.

Gotta agree bodecea. They protected pedophiles big time and their congregations suffered for their lack of responsibility.

Hell Congress is one to throw stones. They have folks under investigation for ethics violations., Rangel, Murtha and who knows who else. They aren't doing much to clean up their own backyard so I find it ironic they would pursue the Catholic Bishops. Birds of a feather.

Gotta agree bodecea. They protected pedophiles big time and their congregations suffered for their lack of responsibility.

Hell Congress is one to throw stones. They have folks under investigation for ethics violations., Rangel, Murtha and who knows who else. They aren't doing much to clean up their own backyard so I find it ironic they would pursue the Catholic Bishops. Birds of a feather.

Yes the Catholic Church erred greviously when it did not deal with its pedophile problem immediately, openly, and absolutely. Yet when the Boy Scouts of America did just that, the ACLU (and other leftist organizations) were all over them blasting them for DISCRIMINATION and VIOLATION OF RIGHTS etc. etc. etc.

But you are correct that Congress is really bad about sweeping its own 'sins' under the rug while some point fingers at others whether it be the financial institutions or critics of the Administration or Catholic Bishops or any others who take a side on an issue.

At some point though we have to say ENOUGH!!! There can be no justice if only those who offend those in power are subject to investigation, persecution, discipline, etc.

Forum List

Back