Forget Palin, here's Gary Johnson

Listen, Harvard College is no big deal, but Harvard graduate schools are some of the finest in the world.

I'm sorry if you resent them.

What good has it done the country?

It isn't Harvard's job to do anything FOR the country. They are in the business of educating people.

So what are the qualifications of Harvard graduate school alumni versus governors of small states then where the Presidency is concerned?

What good has it done the country?

It isn't Harvard's job to do anything FOR the country. They are in the business of educating people.

So what are the qualifications of Harvard graduate school alumni versus governors of small states then where the Presidency is concerned?

I was unaware of being offered that choice in that way. It appears your imaginary world is intruding upon reality.

Wednesday, January 19, 2000
New Mexico Gov Renews School Voucher Push
Gov. Gary Johnson

Following is the full text of Gov. Gary Johnson's State of the State address: New Mexico Gov Renews School Voucher Push

The standard for judging a good politician is different than judging an effective politician.

If a politician runs on things but accomplishes little, how good are they? What did Johnson actually do (effectively) that he laid out in his State of the State address?

now that the USMB Grand Inquisitor has been excused....

back on topic.

For the Executive, I prefer reasonable and balanced political leaders. Johnson is an ideologue with little experience. Obama was a pol with little experience and less ideology strapped under his vest. People like Johnson are always terrible in practice/real life, where theory and ideology run up against the real world. .

Little experience? He was Governor for 8 years.

How largely populated is New Mexico? anything like Alaska? 8 years doing what? What duties did he have and what did he do that is so spectacular that it warrants the respect of his fellow Governors?

The article posted went over the pros of Gary Johnson. You should read it.

It should also be pointed out that we only ever apply the term "ideologue" to somebody that we don't agree with. The simple fact of the matter is that anybody with an opinion is an ideologue. I have an ideology, you have an ideology, Johnson has an ideology, and Obama has an ideology. We're all ideologues.

please, Obama has not stuck with any ideology when his actions are reviewed.

Most people do not. Principles and ideology are mostly expendable in a compromise where core core principles and values are not at stake. People cannot eat principles.

Libertarians (the ones today who are hiding behind the label) have this quirk about being principled against reality and following their principles to their logical conclusions would wreck havoc on any system.

even Jefferson put his principles aside for the sake of the nation and reality vs ideological purity. He preached a good game, but his practice was different.

Politics is a window into how a system will be governed. Compromise is the art of politics. Compromise abhors ideological purity.

And yet he successfully governed in New Mexico without putting aside his principles.

Little experience? He was Governor for 8 years.

How largely populated is New Mexico? anything like Alaska? 8 years doing what? What duties did he have and what did he do that is so spectacular that it warrants the respect of his fellow Governors?

I watch CNN, and I read the puff piece. It is attractive. SO I went to what the man says -- his own words. Pretty standard ideological clap trap. Now I question his actions. What has he actually done? He gave a state of the State speech. How effective was he at working with the legislature, as ALL executives must do?

"If you're an ACLU liberal, how do you enthusiastically turn out for the guy who is defending executive assassinations and prolonging Don't Ask Don't Tell," - http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/11/10/friedersdorf.johnson.gop/`

Not being a single issue voter, I'd have no problem (but I did NOT vote for
Obama). The author of the article is as simplistic in approach as the potential candidate he is writing the puff piece for. No surprise there.

I watch CNN, and I read the puff piece. It is attractive. SO I went to what the man says -- his own words. Pretty standard ideological clap trap. Now I question his actions. What has he actually done? He gave a state of the State speech. How effective was he at working with the legislature, as ALL executives must do?

Well he vetoed 750 bills, more than the other 49 Governors combined. How successful do you think he was working with the legislature?

"If you're an ACLU liberal, how do you enthusiastically turn out for the guy who is defending executive assassinations and prolonging Don't Ask Don't Tell," - http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/11/10/friedersdorf.johnson.gop/`

Obama). The author of the article is as simplistic in approach as the potential candidate he is writing the puff piece for. No surprise there.

There are some issues that disqualify a candidate in some people's eyes. Reserving the right to assassinate American citizens should, in my opinion, be one of them.

Well he vetoed 750 bills, more than the other 49 Governors combined. How successful do you think he was working with the legislature?

:clap2: thank you. fair enough.

I do not think government is the problem. Reagan said it was and he did his best to prove it by his actions, didn't he?

I think mismanaged government is the problem. Just as the police departments are not the issue, and poorly run ones are, I see fixing government as the solution, not getting rid of government. I no more want to get rd of government as I no more want to get rid of police departments because of issues with how they are run.

Small government? Hmmph. Depends on what the bills he vetoed were. Positioning or what? Numbers out of context, stats alone, prove nothing.

There are some issues that disqualify a candidate in some people's eyes. Reserving the right to assassinate American citizens should, in my opinion, be one of them.

Assassinate American citizens? We do it all the time. It's called the death penalty.

Assassinate American citizens? We do it all the time. It's called the death penalty.

The idea is that Obama thinks he has the authority to assassinate American citizens without a trial.

The idea is that Obama thinks he has the authority to assassinate American citizens without a trial.

Not really, but you can spin it that way if it makes you feel any better about yourself.

go for it!

Not really, but you can spin it that way if it makes you feel any better about yourself.

go for it!

Confirmed: Obama authorizes assassination of U.S. citizen - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Glenn Greenwald - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Glenn Greenwald: In March 2009 he was selected, along with Democracy Now's Amy Goodman, as the recipient of the first annual Izzy Award by the Park Center for Independent Media, an award named after famed independent journalist I.F. "Izzy" Stone and devoted to rewarding excellence in independent journalism.

The Washington Post's Dana Priest had noted deep in a long article that Obama had continued Bush's policy (which Bush never actually implemented) of having the Joint Chiefs of Staff compile "hit lists" of Americans...Just to get a sense for how extreme this behavior is, consider -- as the NYT reported -- that not even George Bush targeted American citizens for this type of extra-judicial killing (though a 2002 drone attack in Yemen did result in the death of an American citizen).

===============================

There is a running dispute between Greenwald and Lawrence O'Donnell. Lawrence had Mark on his show and they agreed to disagree over O'Donnell's meanings of terms during election night reviews, that Mark Greenwald has posted about.

My issue with Greenwald here is one I have with most internet dweebs: look at what he wrote. He mentions a Bush policy, then stresses that it had not been implemented and that somehow shows how extreme the policy is when implemented, as opposed to having been the official policy. He's sophomoric, his dis-ingenuity is disturbing, and he's maybe even deluded...living in the inside bubble of media talking heads and bloggers. .

go for it!

Confirmed: Obama authorizes assassination of U.S. citizen - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

Glenn Greenwald - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Glenn Greenwald: In March 2009 he was selected, along with Democracy Now's Amy Goodman, as the recipient of the first annual Izzy Award by the Park Center for Independent Media, an award named after famed independent journalist I.F. "Izzy" Stone and devoted to rewarding excellence in independent journalism.

The Washington Post's Dana Priest had noted deep in a long article that Obama had continued Bush's policy (which Bush never actually implemented) of having the Joint Chiefs of Staff compile "hit lists" of Americans...Just to get a sense for how extreme this behavior is, consider -- as the NYT reported -- that not even George Bush targeted American citizens for this type of extra-judicial killing (though a 2002 drone attack in Yemen did result in the death of an American citizen).

===============================

There is a running dispute between Greenwald and Lawrence O'Donnell. Lawrence had Mark on his show and they agreed to disagree over O'Donnell's meanings of terms during election night reviews, that Mark Greenwald has posted about.

My issue with Greenwald here is one I have with most internet dweebs: look at what he wrote. He mentions a Bush policy, then stresses that it had not been implemented and that somehow shows how extreme the policy is when implemented, as opposed to having been the official policy. He's sophomoric, his dis-ingenuity is disturbing, and he's maybe even deluded...living in the inside bubble of media talking heads and bloggers. .

What?

Forum List

Back