Forget neo-cons, beware the ex-cons

gop_jeff said:
That's exactly where I am. I identify strongly with the GOP, but I also identify with the libertarian ideals of individual freedom. You should check out the Republican Liberty Caucus.

Bonnie, to answer your question, I think the concepts of limited, efficient government, strong defense, and a patriotic spirit are the backbone of conservatism. And I think there's some overlap with Libertarianism.

Very cool. I will have to spend some time at this site.

SmarterThanYou said:
I find it humorous that some people are now being introspective about the collection of ideologies it takes to be a 'conservative', yet you'll generalize 'liberal' all friggin day. :rotflmao:

I would love for you to find one place where I have generalized "liberals".

no1tovote4 said:
I would love for you to find one place where I have generalized "liberals".
If you'll notice, I quoted nobody in my statement. That means that I'm not addressing any one person in particular. Now, if you insist, I can certainly search through the entire forum and I'd be pretty sure I could find at least one instance where you generalized liberals because of a specific ideology. I wonder why you immediately jumped on the defensive though? Did you think I was addressing this to you specifically?

SmarterThanYou said:
If you'll notice, I quoted nobody in my statement. That means that I'm not addressing any one person in particular. Now, if you insist, I can certainly search through the entire forum and I'd be pretty sure I could find at least one instance where you generalized liberals because of a specific ideology. I wonder why you immediately jumped on the defensive though? Did you think I was addressing this to you specifically?

No, I was pointing out that it was a generalization based on ideology in itself.

SmarterThanYou said:
ok, in that case I'd like to point out how you generalized that all liberals run colleges.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showpost.php?p=234918&postcount=1

I said "we think" it was not a specific generalization, but it certainly could be construed as such. Touche. But it certainly isn't done by myself "all day" nor on any sort of regular basis. I am careful as to what I write, and not prone to overgeneralization.

Oh, and the generalization was based on one made of Conservatives and what they think, not of Liberals. I said they wonder why we think something. Therefore the generalization was on Conservatives not on Liberals.

no1tovote4 said:
Oh, and the generalization was based on one made of Republicans, not of Liberals. I said they wonder why we think something. Therefore the generalization was on Republicans not on Liberals.
my point was, and still is, that people IN GENERAL like to generalize one group or the other to make their point or to tear apart the oppositions position, as in what a liberal is/does. I was merely pointing this out about conservatives in this thread.

SmarterThanYou said:
my point was, and still is, that people IN GENERAL like to generalize one group or the other to make their point or to tear apart the oppositions position, as in what a liberal is/does. I was merely pointing this out about conservatives in this thread.

Don't take it personally, generally people do like to generalize in an attempt to marginalize the opposition. It is one thing I try to avoid and why I post carefully. Sometimes we fail to avoid it. Oh well.

SmarterThanYou said:

You sure do have a point there. Probably starts out as generalizing the ideology, winds up generalizing individuals.

no1tovote4 said:
Don't take it personally, generally people do like to generalize in an attempt to marginalize the opposition. It is one thing I try to avoid and why I post carefully. Sometimes we fail to avoid it. Oh well.

Shame on you no1, it's not all liberals run colleges, it's most libs run colleges there are about 2 that are not.... :teeth: dammit get it right ya biggot!!!
J/K of course

Bonnie said:
Shame on you no1, it's not all liberals run colleges, it's most libs run colleges there are about 2 that are not.... :teeth: dammit get it right ya biggot!!!
J/K of course

:tng:

Forum List

Back