forget mars we should colonize venus!

swallowed sooner!?!?!? I do not think that a time horizon on the scale of BILLIONS of years matters much in our choice of colonies.

LOL

hi

the air pressure on venus is so high, that every probe which was sendet to got killed after a few minutes. No, the Venus is the wrong way.

you obviously didnt watch the lecture, at 50 km above the ground the pressure is exacty the same as earths and the temperature is 20c. meaning we could live in venuses attmosphere
I watched the whole thing, and I congratulate the scientist for at least thinking outside the box.

But in the case of Venus, virtually the whole environment capable of supporting human life would be artificial and have to be manufactured there. That manufacturing process would take place in the upper atmosphere, 164,000 feet above the surface. Getting raw material from the surface of Venus to the upper atmosphere requires about the same amount of lifting energy as does moving material from Earth's surface into space, if in fact it didn't require hauling it all the way from the Earth's surface.

On Mars we can "dig in" to create habitat, and that habitat would be surrounded by useful building materials. Digging in would in effect integrally encapsulate the shield we'd need for radiation. There are lava tubes already there which offer pre-dug encapsulation. Being a land base, we only need to send enough support facilities to make development possible, and these can be pre-positioned on the surface or in orbit. Mars has satellites which also weigh in with physical resources.

Last edited:
hi

the air pressure on venus is so high, that every probe which was sendet to got killed after a few minutes. No, the Venus is the wrong way.

you obviously didnt watch the lecture, at 50 km above the ground the pressure is exacty the same as earths and the temperature is 20c. meaning we could live in venuses attmosphere
I watched the whole thing, and I congratulate the scientist for at least thinking outside the box.

But in the case of Venus, virtually the whole environment capable of supporting human life would be artificial and have to be manufactured there. That manufacturing process would take place in the upper atmosphere, 164,000 feet above the surface. Getting raw material from the surface of Venus to the upper atmosphere requires about the same amount of lifting energy as does moving material from Earth's surface into space, if in fact it didn't require hauling it all the way from the Earth's surface.

On Mars we can "dig in" to create habitat, and that habitat would be surrounded by useful building materials. Digging in would in effect integrally encapsulate the shield we'd need for radiation. There are lava tubes already there which offer pre-dug encapsulation. Being a land base, we only need to send enough support facilities to make development possible, and these can be pre-positioned on the surface or in orbit. Mars has satellites which also weigh in with physical resources.

At last an intellegent argument,
i hear ya, but counter wieghing is the fact that it would be so easy to produce geothermal power, and the attmospher contains alot of the materials we need. and mars is cold, cold, I can't even be bothered to visit my brother in sweeden as its too cold. we surely should be colonizig antarctica first but no, we cant be bothered.
I think the limitless energy we can obtain from venus will make the mission a better bet than mars.

Forum List

Back