Forest Lake event canceled; too political

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
Forest Lake High's principal said the decision was spurred by concerns that the presentation was more political than educational.

By ALLIE SHAH , Star Tribune

A national tour featuring decorated veterans from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan won't be stopping at Forest Lake Area High School today as planned, after school leaders abruptly canceled the visit.

Steve Massey, the school principal, said the decision to cancel was prompted by concerns that the event was becoming political rather than educational and therefore was not suitable for a public school.

He said the school had received several phone calls from parents and others, some of whom indicated that they may stage a protest if the event took place.

"The event was structured to be an academic classroom discussion around military service. We thought we'd provide an opportunity for kids to learn about service in the context of our history classes," Massey said. "As the day progressed, it became clear that this was becoming a political event ... which would be inappropriate in a public setting.
"We decided to cancel," Massey said. Organizers of the National Heroes Tour then scrambled to relocate the event to the American Legion building in Forest Lake. The visit, which U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-Stillwater, had been scheduled to attend, is sponsored by Vets for Freedom, a national organization run by Pete Hegseth, a 1999 graduate of Forest Lake Area High School who served with the 101st Airborne in Iraq in 2005-06.

"I think it's extremely unfortunate that a school would bow to the political pressure of outside groups and not bring in a veterans organization," Hegseth said. "Are we saying that patriotism and duty and honor have no place in our public schools?" So far, the tour has visited one school, albeit a private school.

The stop in Forest Lake was supposed to involve about 150 social studies students and was going to be closed to the public but open to the media. But the last-minute venue change left Hegseth wondering how many people would actually show up today.

"I don't know if we'll have a crowd," he said. "We changed venues, but we don't have the ability to publicize it." He said he had talked with school officials ahead of time and assured them that the presenters would not make any political statements.

"We had a number of conversations at the beginning of this to make sure our message was in keeping with the traditions of a public school," Hegseth said.

"We have not endorsed a presidential candidate. We're not in the business of doing that." According to the Veterans for Freedom website, the national tour "is about supporting our troops, honoring their commitment and rallying the country to complete the missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

At this critical juncture in our country, we need Americans, lawmakers and the media to fully recognize -- and appreciate -- the sacrifice of our brave military and the dramatic success they have achieved, especially in Iraq with the new counterinsurgency strategy."

When asked whether the part about "rallying the country to complete the missions in Iraq and Afghanistan" could indeed be construed as political, Hegseth said that the group agreed not to advocate about the "progress made in Iraq and Afghanistan."

"It's Iraq and Afghan veterans talking about what they saw and what they did there, and about what it means to put on the uniform of your country," he said. The veterans started their bus tour in San Diego on March 14 and will end April 9 in New York City.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/local/16971116.html

Seems they could take it out of the school, but the message would get through:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives2/2008/03/020125.php

March 25, 2008
Let's Turn Out To Support the Vets

Scott noted this morning that the principal of Forest Lake High School canceled the scheduled appearance this morning by Forest Lake alum Pete Hegseth and his fellow Vets For Freedom. The cancellation was prompted by an unspecified number of complaints from "parents and others;" the others apparently were leftists organized by Democratic Underground.

On only a few hours' notice, the Vets had to transfer their program from the high school to the local American Legion. They doubted whether anyone would show up to hear them, but it turns out they needn't have worried. Pete writes:

With barely 12 hours' notice, over 200 people showed up -- the Legion was standing room only -- the crowd was spilling into the hallway. About two-dozen Forest Lake High School students skipped school to attend, holding signs that said "Support the Vets" and "We love our troops." The outpouring of support from the community in Forest Lake was incredible, and we hope for an even larger crowd at tonight's event.

This photo is of the crowd at the American Legion; note the press coverage:

What a bunch of bumbling bufoons to think it wouldnt get political. Must be some of shoguns relatives.

What a bunch of bumbling bufoons to think it wouldnt get political. Must be some of shoguns relatives.

I'll edit this post as a request from the powers that be but, I must say, for such a "tough guy" luvrpgrl is QUITE the hypocritical pussy.

It probably isn't ironic that the guy making the effort to bring MY family into the conversation cries like a little girl, running to the playground authority, when the same is returned.

I guess a green card and clean tap water only works as a threat to third worlders being preyed upon by pathetic American scumbags with a larger ego than self esteem.

Interesting, the venue changed though not the message:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRbqJXoTmxI[/ame]

And why is this of the left? Did I miss it? And how are we to judge what these people decided?

From the story it is fairly clear what happened. When the story quotes the individual noting the event was turning political he was referring to the people who had threatened to show up and protest who i would wager a small fortune would could be called and would most likely consider themselves leftist. Thus it was the left that was turning the event into a politcal one.

I don't envy the decision the school had to make and I don't think I could fault them whichever way they decided. Had they not been threatened with protest the vets would have come and in all likely hood it would have been a very educational events for students. However had they held the event and the protestors showed up it would have been a rather confusing event for the young minds. What are these people protesting about? Who's right? Who's wrong? All questions hard for a young mind to make an objective rationale decision about and at the end of the day they would have left with a very different message the what the school and the vets had intended with their presence.

That is what I think the school officials feared and that is why I believe they canceled it.

In elementary school, around veterans day, there would be a large exhibit from local vets who would show off their medals, tell war stories, have displays on equipment they would use etc etc....

I dunno.. I think I came to appreciate the individual sacrifices made without becoming some right wing war-monging zombie. It's too bad that kids from the above article won't get that same chance to learn about the honor involved with serving this country. As with the Berkeley protesters at the doors of a recruiting office I have to give a giant "luvrpgrl is still a bitch" thumbs down to those who caused the cancellation.

Locally, we have an air show on vet day that has become something of a contentious issue. Anti-war peeps went to court to be able to hand out anti-war info at these shows while insisting that such an event is the glorification of violence. I don't agree... indeed, it's these kinds of lefties that make it easier to kick my own side of the political spectrum in the ass.

From the story it is fairly clear what happened. When the story quotes the individual noting the event was turning political he was referring to the people who had threatened to show up and protest who i would wager a small fortune would could be called and would most likely consider themselves leftist. Thus it was the left that was turning the event into a politcal one.

I don't envy the decision the school had to make and I don't think I could fault them whichever way they decided. Had they not been threatened with protest the vets would have come and in all likely hood it would have been a very educational events for students. However had they held the event and the protestors showed up it would have been a rather confusing event for the young minds. What are these people protesting about? Who's right? Who's wrong? All questions hard for a young mind to make an objective rationale decision about and at the end of the day they would have left with a very different message the what the school and the vets had intended with their presence.

That is what I think the school officials feared and that is why I believe they canceled it.

Well said!

Sad that it has come to this.

wow.

well the doeton agrees it's pretty sad alright.

a discussion of military service without a discussion of why one might go to war?

yeah, apparently that's what they feared alright.

So I take it they were protesting the wars? What a bunch of pootangs...the way to protest a war is not protesting in the face of the veterans than served. They didn't hold a democratic election in the mililtary whether or not they wanted to go to war in Iraq did they? Last I checked, they didn't/don't have choice where they go. Those parents need to grow a brain and protest the war in a different manner.

S Last I checked, they didn't/don't have choice where they go. Those parents need to grow a brain and protest the war in a different manner.

what? now people can't choose where to protest? this freedom thing is confusing...:rolleyes:

what? now people can't choose where to protest? this freedom thing is confusing...:rolleyes:

That's right...if teachers are restricted from expressing their political views in a school atmosphere, then anyone else should be restricted to protest and express their views in a school atmosphere.

Protesting at a veteran's ceremony expresses hatred and protest towards veterans, which is completely irrelevant to the protest of war. Like I said in my last post. Veterans have no choice when or where they're going to be sent, but they do their job regardless. Protesting veterans at a school is not only absurd, but it doesn't address or send the right message to kids.

Are you incinuating that teaching kids to hate the soldiers that protect them is the right thing to do?

Forum List

Back