Foreman eyes return to ring -- at 55

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
DALLAS (Reuters) - Former heavyweight champion George Foreman is planning a return to the ring, saying that he wants to show he can still fight at the age of 55.

Foreman said on Tuesday in a telephone interview he has been planning a return to boxing for about a year.

The former heavyweight champ became a champion for the middle-aged when he became the oldest man to claim the heavyweight belt at the age of 45. Foreman has not fought in about seven years.

"I have been working out. My goal is to get down to 225 pounds (102 kg)," Foreman said.

Foreman said he began training on his 55th birthday on January 10, 2004, and said he may have to cut out on his desserts in order to drop another 50 pounds (22.7 kg).

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...&u=/nm/20040210/od_uk_nm/oukoe_boxing_foreman

Why on earth would he do this to himself?

He's making a fortune off of his George Foreman Grills - so it can't be just about money? But why take the risk to his health?

I don't get it.

I respect George. He's a competitor. He just can't stand to be away from the ring. I don't think it's about money. Nonetheless, I believe George needs to let go. This guy has like 5 or 6 kids (all named George!), and I think it's time he starts concentrating on them and not boxing.

thats why all the kids are named george ...after getting his ass handed to him and brains all adiled like Ali..all he has to remember is his name...

Originally posted by jon_forward
thats why all the kids are named george ...after getting his ass handed to him and brains all adiled like Ali..all he has to remember is his name...

:laugh:

I love George..I dont think its about the money but I do believe its assanine.

George is great!!! Boxing is his life ...as alot of ppl feel as they get older , if they dont keep doing what they do best then they are not at there best! I just hope he doesnt get hurt , but to put him against a nobody I think he will be fine.
Jeff

He's only been knocked out once... in Kinshasa, Zaire. He looked good against Shannon Briggs (even though he was robbed on points) and he was about 46 at the time.
If he fights some plodder like Franz Botha he might be ok, but either Klitschko would put him 6 feet under. Maybe Roy Jones would beat him up?!?!

Roy Jones wouldnt beat him up!! He is much too big for Jones. With the younger Klitschko I think he has a chance. As for the Briggs fight...he was totally robbed!

Sorry Mr. Knoxville, but Roy Jones would murder a 55 yr old Foreman. I mean Ruiz is a big solid dude, and he isn't a 55 yr old who hasn't fought in 10 yrs. But he couldn't beat Roy Jones. Jones would be a blur and Foreman might not go down, but he would be mashed up. I'd like a Klitchko v Klitchkofight to happen though.... Think of the hype! Cain and Abel quotes flying from Don kings mouth! Only in america! LOL!

I disagree. I still think George is too big for Roy. His reach alone would keep Roy at distance. I am not saying he would win on points but he certainly has a chance to know Roy out!

George may not be able to lay the knockout punch as quick anymore but I doubt any of the boxers mentioned are going to knock him out either. Body shots to George are mostly useless. It's like hammering away at a crate full of raw hamburger! He's a great defense fighter but much too slow to be a worry for someone like Roy Jones Jr. I'd lay money down that Jones couldn't knock him out though.

Forum List

Back