Foreigners fill ranks of local charter- school chain

Angelhair

Aug 22, 2009
Tucson's Sonoran Science Academy and its sister schools import an unusually large proportion of their staff from foreign countries, especially Turkey, in a practice that parallels the customs of an important Turkish religious-political movement.

The five Sonoran Science Academy charter schools and their parent company, Daisy Education Corp., received U.S. Labor Department certification to fill 39 teaching and administrative jobs with foreigners last year, federal data show. From 2002 through 2009, the schools have received certifications for 120 H-1B visas.

That's more certifications than any comparable school in Arizona received in that eight-year period - and more than the six biggest school districts in Southern Arizona combined.

Sonoran Science Academy schools and Daisy Education requested so many visas because they have been unable to find adequate math and science teachers in the United States, because Daisy Education is adding schools fast, and because, in some cases, multiple applications were filed for the same person or position, Superintendent Ozkur Yildiz said via e-mail.

Foreigners fill ranks of local charter- school chain

Given the state of math and science education here, I am not surprised.

Heh......do you realize how much math or science you need to take to become certified to teach secondary math or science?

I received my BS ChemE AND THEN HAD TO TAKE MORE MATH AND SCIENCE TO GET MY TEACHING CERTS!!:eek:

Brings up an interesting question...? Do we overcertify? Do we make folks in math and science go through so many hoops that we wash out too many people who could do the job, but can't do the certs? We can't get enough, so we have to make do when we could do better with a more rational set up.

Brings up an interesting question...? Do we overcertify? Do we make folks in math and science go through so many hoops that we wash out too many people who could do the job, but can't do the certs? We can't get enough, so we have to make do when we could do better with a more rational set up.

Hard to say.

A Secondary Certification allows teachers to teach Algebra I through Advanced Placement Calculus.

Forum List

Back