Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
Ford To Unveil Solar Hybrid Concept Car At CES

The C-Max Solar Energi Hybrid's estimated combined fuel economy is 100 mpg

Posted: Jan 02, 2014
By: Associated Press

c-maxsolarenergi-01-hr-1.jpg
The Ford C-MAX Solar Energi Hybrid (Ford Motor Co.).

Ford plans to unveil at this month's International CES gadget show a solar-powered concept car that offers the same performance as a plug-in hybrid but without the need for a plug.

The C-Max Solar Energi Concept car uses a gasoline engine combined with a gizmo that acts like a magnifying glass to concentrate the sun's rays on the vehicle's roof-mounted solar panels. The automaker says the vehicle's estimated combined city-highway mileage is 100 miles (160 kilometers) per gallon.

The U.S. auto maker says that by using solar power instead of an electric plug, a typical owner will reduce their annual greenhouse gas emissions by four metric tons.

The company says it sold about 85,000 hybrid or electric vehicles in 2013, including 6,300 units of its C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid.

The sun-ray concentrator was developed by researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology and uses what is known as a Fresnel lens, which concentrates light but can be made thinner than a conventional lens. A full day of sunshine is equivalent to a four-hour battery charge, or 8 kilowatts, Ford says.

On a full charge, it should have a range of 620 miles (997 kilometers), the same as the C-Max Energi. The concept car also comes with a plug-in port for standard electric charging.

Ford says that 75 percent of all trips made by an average driver could be powered by the sun.
After showing off the concept car at the convention in Las Vegas Jan. 7-10, Ford Motor Co. says that it will test the vehicle with institute researchers to determine if it's feasible for mass production.

Wow.

Ain't that something.

Government says you gotta make it, and corporations respond not only by making it..but by going beyond.

This must have oil companies in a panic, however.

Let's hope it succeeds. I think it's a nice first step. However I bet they well over estimated that 100 mpg. It will probably be 75 mpg, which is still awesome!

Wow.

Ain't that something.

Government says you gotta make it, and corporations respond not only by making it..but by going beyond.

It has nothing to do with the government! Remember Ford took no bailout!

It's the oil producing countries that are nervous, aka the Islamist shitholes you jerk off to, Venezuela, Nigeria, Russia and Norway!

Wow.

Ain't that something.

It has nothing to do with the government! Remember Ford took no bailout!

It's the oil producing countries that are nervous, aka the Islamist shitholes you jerk off to, Venezuela, Nigeria, Russia and Norway!

Because Ford too was in financial hot water Ford borrowed over $20 billion - good on Ford for planning ahead but-----but by borrowing from private institutions and being ahead of the curve, Ford essentially dried up the private money supply.
Even Ford's CEO, Alan Mulally lobbied for a government loan for Chrysler and GM - why? - because being a businessman he understood what vulture capitalist Mitt Romney didn't/doesn't i.e. if Chrysler/GM go down Ford's supply line and millions of consumer's jobs go down with them but that aside... I agree it's the carbon producing polluters that have to be nervous that American carbon suckers are looking for alternatives and-----and are getting over them.

Ford's CEO has no regrets about call for bailout - Los Angeles Times
But that ["managed bankruptcy"] ignores a crucial fact: Companies that are broke require money to keep operating, even while under the protection of a Bankruptcy Court. And as Ford's chief executive, Alan Mulally, pointed out during a visit with The Times' editorial board Tuesday, "There was nobody that was going to give them money for [debtor-in-possession] financing."

Mulally's comments weren't offered as a criticism of Romney. Rather, he was defending Ford's decision to go to Congress with GM and Chrysler in 2008 to call for a federal rescue. Ford didn't need the money itself -- it had previously arranged a multibillion-dollar line of private credit. But Mulally said he believed then, just as he believes now, that GM and Chrysler threatened to drag the entire country into a depression.

Let's hope it succeeds. I think it's a nice first step. However I bet they well over estimated that 100 mpg. It will probably be 75 mpg, which is still awesome!

I think that they are basing the 100 mpg figure on urban driving where most trips are well under 8 miles. With that setup, everybody's mileage would be differant due to differant driving patterns. But all would benefit. A very good idea, hope the cost is within reason.

Typical EV uses about 1/3KWhr per mile.. So 8KWhr for "a full day in the sunshine" is about 24 miles or 0.6 gallon of gasoline. That's OK -- but its no freaking solution.. Particularly if you cant park in direct sunshine for 6 or 8 hours a day.. Even ANGLE of incidence and partial shade will destroy that advantage.

Cute -- but I don't think it does anything to overcome the issues of range or cost. Particularly for URBAN driving..

Typical EV uses about 1/3KWhr per mile.. So 8KWhr for "a full day in the sunshine" is about 24 miles or 0.6 gallon of gasoline. That's OK -- but its no freaking solution.. Particularly if you cant park in direct sunshine for 6 or 8 hours a day.. Even ANGLE of incidence and partial shade will destroy that advantage.

Cute -- but I don't think it does anything to overcome the issues of range or cost. Particularly for URBAN driving..

What works for me was employer giving away fuel from their PV array for free!! Unfortunately, I then moved on and that free fuel is no longer available to me. Damn!

EVing works great in my urban world, when I am forced to go there. I prefer EVing suburbia.

Never could see beyond the nose on your face, could you, Flat. The range with everything full up is 620 miles. It is a hybrid, not a pure EV. And that setup on the roof uses concentrating lenses, Fresnel lenses, so the angle of the sun is less critical. Anytime the vehicle is sitting outside it is collecting power. And for most urbanites, and suburbenites, that is enough to eleiminate the use of a lot of gasoline.

What works for me was employer giving away fuel from their PV array for free!! Unfortunately, I then moved on and that free fuel is no longer available to me. Damn!

EVing works great in my urban world, when I am forced to go there. I prefer EVing suburbia.

Better not get used to tapping that free fuel.. They just busted one of you EV hoodlums for stealing 5 cents of juice from a grade school..

Better not get used to tapping that free fuel..

I did! Unfortunately, then I switched jobs and my new employer no longer has PV provided fuel.

flacaltenn said:
They just busted one of you EV hoodlums for stealing 5 cents of juice from a grade school..

I wasn't stealing. It was provided for employees, me and a Tesla guy were the only takers.

Never could see beyond the nose on your face, could you, Flat. The range with everything full up is 620 miles. It is a hybrid, not a pure EV. And that setup on the roof uses concentrating lenses, Fresnel lenses, so the angle of the sun is less critical. Anytime the vehicle is sitting outside it is collecting power. And for most urbanites, and suburbenites, that is enough to eleiminate the use of a lot of gasoline.

Bullshit.. indirect sunlight is worthless for charging. So just "sitting outside " aint gonna do crap. If youre parked in the shadow of a building or even a McDs Golden Arch, its gonna be less than a tenth of direct sunlight.

I think the engineering is very cool. But its utility is akin to putting a spoiler on a Mini Cooper.

OK --- maybe like buying 3 buck golf balls to give your driver a 10 yard edge.. At least that works sometimes...

Last edited:
A mini-cooper with a top end of 150 mph can use a spoiler to good effect.

Now theres a good calibration point on your judgement :lol:

Wouldnt want to get that Mini ass end airborne... Would we?

No, we wouldn't.

Electric Mini: 0-60 in 4 Seconds: It Has Motors In Its Wheels : TreeHugger

A British engineering firm has put together a high-performance hybrid version of BMW's Mini Cooper. The PML Mini QED has a top speed of 150 mph, a 0-60 mph time of 4.5 seconds. The car uses a small gasoline engine with four 160 horsepower electric motors — one on each wheel. The car has been designed to run for four hours of combined urban/extra urban driving, powered only by a battery and bank of ultra capacitors. The QED supports an all-electric range of 200-250 miles and has a total range of about 932 miles (1,500 km). For longer journeys at higher speeds, a small conventional internal combustion engine (ICE) is used to re-charge the battery. In this hybrid mode, fuel economies of up to 80mpg can be achieved.

A mini-cooper with a top end of 150 mph can use a spoiler to good effect.

Now theres a good calibration point on your judgement :lol:

Wouldnt want to get that Mini ass end airborne... Would we?

No, we wouldn't.

Electric Mini: 0-60 in 4 Seconds: It Has Motors In Its Wheels : TreeHugger

A British engineering firm has put together a high-performance hybrid version of BMW's Mini Cooper. The PML Mini QED has a top speed of 150 mph, a 0-60 mph time of 4.5 seconds. The car uses a small gasoline engine with four 160 horsepower electric motors — one on each wheel. The car has been designed to run for four hours of combined urban/extra urban driving, powered only by a battery and bank of ultra capacitors. The QED supports an all-electric range of 200-250 miles and has a total range of about 932 miles (1,500 km). For longer journeys at higher speeds, a small conventional internal combustion engine (ICE) is used to re-charge the battery. In this hybrid mode, fuel economies of up to 80mpg can be achieved.

When electric vehicles can actually race under the same rules as an ICE vehicle I'll begin to take notice. Right now the Isle of Man TT has an electric division so it's nice to see the level of progress they have made. The sad truth of it is that their progress isn't much.

The regular bikes make 6 laps of the island at an average speed of around 128 mph. The electric bikes make ONE circuit of the island and it took them three years to go from 89 mph average to breaking 100 mph average speed. Now into 2014 they are up to 109 mph. But, they still only have to make one circuit of the 37.7 mile course.

They have a LONG way to go.

Not expecting a NASCAR EV circuit anytime soon. If it dont roar, its not gonna draw.

Besides, im having conceptual issues with how you race a circuit with intense braking and motors in the wheels. Ever see the wheels glow after a couple laps at Sonoma or Watkins Glen? Even with regen braking ---- thats a whole level above street performance....

Not expecting a NASCAR EV circuit anytime soon. If it dont roar, its not gonna draw.

Besides, im having conceptual issues with how you race a circuit with intense braking and motors in the wheels. Ever see the wheels glow after a couple laps at Sonoma or Watkins Glen? Even with regen braking ---- thats a whole level above street performance....

Yup. I do like the what McLaren and some of the others are doing with their hybrid supercars however. They run the normal high performance power pack but they are supplemented with electric motors in the front wheels that give a very efficient (notice greenies the emphasis on efficiency?) method of enjoying 4 wheel drive capability.

Of course they're bloody expensive (around a million for the P1) but they are the absolute cutting edge of hybrid tech.

McLaren+P1+Supercar+1.jpg

Forum List

Back