Ford's 'Global Car' To Roll Out in Mexico

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
MEXICO CITY, May 30 -- President Felipe Calderón announced Friday that Ford will build its new fuel-efficient Fiesta "global car" in suburban Mexico City and upgrade two plants here as part of a $3 billion investment, the largest in Mexican history by a foreign manufacturer.

The decision is a major setback for the United Auto Workers union, which has pushed Ford and other manufacturers to invest in U.S. plants. But it was a coup for the Mexican economy after years of losing manufacturing jobs to China and other Asian countries.

Industry analysts have long predicted that Ford would unveil a global car -- a subcompact designed to be easily built and marketed anywhere in the world -- but it was unclear until Friday which country would win the lucrative manufacturing deal. A UAW spokesman did not return calls seeking comment.

In an appearance Friday at Mexico's presidential palace, Los Pinos, Ford chief executive Alan R. Mulally said the decision to build the Fiesta is part of a plan to realign the company's manufacturing toward smaller cars and crossovers -- models between small cars and SUVs.

As gas prices have skyrocketed, Ford has suffered in particular because it relies strongly on sales of trucks and SUVs. Through April, light vehicles accounted for just 36 percent of Ford's sales, compared with about 60 percent at Toyota and Honda, David Whiston, an auto analyst at Morningstar, said in an interview.

"What this shows about Ford is that it has realized it needs to improve its vehicle mix to be much more skewed to fuel-efficient cars than trucks and SUVs," he said.

Mulally said Ford will start building the Fiesta in 2010 at a plant in Cuautitlán, a city in the state of Mexico, which borders Mexico City to the north. The plant now makes pickup trucks.

The company also will upgrade a transmission plant in the central state of Guanajuato in partnership with Getrag and build a new engine line at its plant in the northern state of Chihuahua. The company plans to invest $2.4 billion, with an additional $600 million coming from its suppliers and partners, Mulally said.

Calderón hailed the deal as "a great day for the industry, for employment and for Mexico." Since taking office in December 2006, Calderón has been consumed by a war with drug cartels and has struggled to stimulate economic growth and stem migration to the United States.

The Ford deal is likely to create 4,500 manufacturing jobs and generate more than 25,000 others, Mulally and Calderón said. Jorge de los Santos, director of Mexico City's infrastructure development corporation, said in an interview that the new jobs will be "great for Mexico" but that the country needs to redouble its efforts to attract "knowledge-based" white-collar jobs.

Mexico, the world's No. 11 auto-manufacturing country, has a long history with Ford, which began building cars here in the 1920s. The company has sold 12 million Fiestas since the car's introduction in 1976. The small vehicles are popular with the commuters who clog Mexico City's streets, and they sell well in other parts of Latin America and Asia but were sold in the U.S. only in the late 1970s.

Ford announced last week that it would not meet its longstanding goal of returning to profitability in 2009 and would be forced to make layoffs. The company reported a 12 percent drop in auto sales last month compared with April 2007.

Ford's 'Global Car' To Roll Out in Mexico

Would this help with illegal immigrants or are the illegals out of the picture due to a lack of skills etc?

Im sure the mexicans just south of the border will enjoy their commute to mexico city now that they are all about to get rich.

Im glad I don't own a ford. Id tax the shit out of every car this "american" company tried to import into America. If ford enjoys the cheap labor in mexico let them take their fucking entire operation south of the border to their executives can enjoy the druglord addled lifestyle mexico city has to offer.

Im sure the mexicans just south of the border will enjoy their commute to mexico city now that they are all about to get rich.

Im glad I don't own a ford. Id tax the shit out of every car this "american" company tried to import into America. If ford enjoys the cheap labor in mexico let them take their fucking entire operation south of the border to their executives can enjoy the druglord addled lifestyle mexico city has to offer.

Meanwhile we allow our "unions" to price our companies out of doing business. Mexico won because the Unions want to much money, plain and simple.

yea, I know... an organization that keeps CEOs from paying Americans at a simlar standard of living as a shithole third world country just fucking SUCKS.

Hey, maybe we can pay American's the same wage that those rich workers in CHINA enjoy too! So, where can OUR pauper class illegally migrate to after the manufacturing sector craps out under your bullshit union hating?

yea, I know... an organization that keeps CEOs from paying Americans at a simlar standard of living as a shithole third world country just fucking SUCKS.

Hey, maybe we can pay American's the same wage that those rich workers in CHINA enjoy too! So, where can OUR pauper class illegally migrate to after the manufacturing sector craps out under your bullshit union hating?

I have an idea, get a fucking clue retard.

WOW.

PROFOUND comeback, dude!

Im shocked that you didn't just reply "ONLY a shit hole standard of living"! Who needs to maintain a standard in AMERICA when some mormon asshole can rationalization child molestation and normalizing slave wage labor..

:cuckoo:

WOW.

PROFOUND comeback, dude!

Im shocked that you didn't just reply "ONLY a shit hole standard of living"! Who needs to maintain a standard in AMERICA when some mormon asshole can rationalization child molestation and normalizing slave wage labor..

:cuckoo:

Ignorance a standing birth feature in your family? Or are you the black sheep of your family?

Is child molestation a standard in yours? Or, are you the only mormon?

I suggest you grow the hell up, ohh and stop trolling, you want to discuss a thread your losing your ass in? Go to that thread. All you are doing here is showing every one that may not read that thread that your so stupid you make it a near art form.

I notice you have given up on this thread and its supposed point. Thanks for admitting you haven't a leg to stand on.

IM losing MY ass in, eh?

HA!

Funny how you cry foul after having your ass handed to you. Funnier still, that you can both rationalize normalizing the American standard of living with that of Shithole Mexico and Slave Labor China for the sake of talking shit about unions. And THATS not even TOUCHING on how many molested girls you will accept in the name of moroni.

Clearly, your observation machine is broken. I suggest you go pick up another one if you can keep the 12 year olds out of your undies long enough.

IM losing MY ass in, eh?

HA!

Funny how you cry foul after having your ass handed to you. Funnier still, that you can both rationalize normalizing the American standard of living with that of Shithole Mexico and Slave Labor China for the sake of talking shit about unions. And THATS not even TOUCHING on how many molested girls you will accept in the name of moroni.

Clearly, your observation machine is broken. I suggest you go pick up another one if you can keep the 12 year olds out of your undies long enough.

Your failure to accept that in a global market our Unions have priced them selves out of work is hilarious but sad. Now explain how, in a free market , Ford should be punished for simply doing what is best for Ford?

You are aware that since the facilities already exist in the States and in Mexico the choice as to who got the work was based on cost effectiveness?If our Unions were not so busy demanding higher and higher pay for less and less work they would still be competitive in the world market, for no other reason then the plants already exist here and the crime and danger is less here in most cases.

It is not Fords or anyone elses job to make their workers rich. What ever happened to the concept of a fair pay for a fair day of work? Unions are EXCATLY what they were created to fight, at least the Mega Unions are. They do not care about the members and are nothing more than BIG business in action.

No, whats HILARIOUS is your "global market" talking point when "outpriced American labor" is EXACTLY the point im making. Maybe YOU think the American labor secotr should live like Jose in the shack slums of mexico or Pang Chwong in the slave markets of CHINA but i'll take a union over your stupid ass anyday. Move to Mexico if you think we should be normalized with a third world country.

Hey, I hear fucking ETHIOPIA has a work force that will stay on the job for 20/24 hours a day just for rice paste and clean water! Maybe you can make another stupid fucking statement!

a "FREE MARKET" is not a standard that anyone has to accept just because some economist told you it's the way to go. JAPAN sure the fuck doesn't rely on such and look at THEIR domination of the Auto market. But, who needs real life facts when you've got a talking point to extricate from that child in your pants, eh?

Indeed, that COST EFFECTIVENESS can take IMPORT COST into their equasion after their foreign made imports are brought into the US.

Yes, It IS an AMERICAN companies responsibility to facilitate the accepted standard of living wage that the US determines. Avoiding this by using slave labor on third world countries doesn't vaidate your stupid fucking right wing talking points. I assure you a "free market" is NOT some fucking panacea of economics like your stupid ass seems to think it is.

Unions MAINTAIN a strong American work force beyond your rationalized greed and outright economic stupidity. Again, consider Japan. a CLOSED system for decades.. who is now dominating the fuck out of the tech and auto instustries despite your stupid fucking free trade talking points.

FUNNY HOW REAL LIFE JUST DOESNT GEL WITH YOUR IGNORANCE, eh?

No, whats HILARIOUS is your "global market" talking point when "outpriced American labor" is EXACTLY the point im making. Maybe YOU think the American labor secotr should live like Jose in the shack slums of mexico or Pang Chwong in the slave markets of CHINA but i'll take a union over your stupid ass anyday. Move to Mexico if you think we should be normalized with a third world country.

Hey, I hear fucking ETHIOPIA has a work force that will stay on the job for 20/24 hours a day just for rice paste and clean water! Maybe you can make another stupid fucking statement!

a "FREE MARKET" is not a standard that anyone has to accept just because some economist told you it's the way to go. JAPAN sure the fuck doesn't rely on such and look at THEIR domination of the Auto market. But, who needs real life facts when you've got a talking point to extricate from that child in your pants, eh?

Indeed, that COST EFFECTIVENESS can take IMPORT COST into their equasion after their foreign made imports are brought into the US.

Yes, It IS an AMERICAN companies responsibility to facilitate the accepted standard of living wage that the US determines. Avoiding this by using slave labor on third world countries doesn't vaidate your stupid fucking right wing talking points. I assure you a "free market" is NOT some fucking panacea of economics like your stupid ass seems to think it is.

Unions MAINTAIN a strong American work force beyond your rationalized greed and outright economic stupidity. Again, consider Japan. a CLOSED system for decades.. who is now dominating the fuck out of the tech and auto instustries despite your stupid fucking free trade talking points.

FUNNY HOW REAL LIFE JUST DOESNT GEL WITH YOUR IGNORANCE, eh?

The only Ignorant one here is you. You keep proving it post after post. I don't even have to work at it.

The only Ignorant one here is you. You keep proving it post after post. I don't even have to work at it.

Oh well, lets just take YOUR word on it like we do about the minimum virgins acceptable by law to facilitate your dogma.

Again, you have nothing besides stupid talking points that, truth be told, you don't even fucking understand yourself. MY example is Japan and their closed system and domination of the market paired with your phenominally stupid statement that unions can't compete with a fucking dirt eating third world county while maintaining that famous American standard of living. Hey, aybe if you cry to a mod you can keep your own blatant stupidity from seeing the light of day.. You know, kinda like a 12 year old virginity deep in an FDLS sect..

RGS:
Meanwhile we allow our "unions" to price our companies out of doing business. Mexico won because the Unions want to much money, plain and simple.

07_poor_children.jpg

china_slaves_0619.jpg

The unions aren't the problem. It's that our employers have to provide health coverage and can't compete with manufacturers from countries where it's provided to everyone.

Or should all workers not have health insurance? Or a minimum wage? Or safe work environments? Or pensions?

You might also point your blame at the golden parachutes taken by CEO's who leave because they've failed. They make sure that THEY have millions of dollars a year while the companies then turn around and say there's no money for benefits.

Or do you think you should have to give up all the benefits you derive as a retiree as a federal employee?

psssssssst... shogie. the Mexicans aren't the problem either. you really need to check that stuff.

The unions aren't the problem. It's that our employers have to provide health coverage and can't compete with manufacturers from countries where it's provided to everyone.

Or should all workers not have health insurance? Or a minimum wage? Or safe work environments? Or pensions?

You might also point your blame at the golden parachutes taken by CEO's who leave because they've failed. They make sure that THEY have millions of dollars a year while the companies then turn around and say there's no money for benefits.

Or do you think you should have to give up all the benefits you derive as a retiree as a federal employee?

psssssssst... shogie. the Mexicans aren't the problem either. you really need to check that stuff.

it makes NO sense. The STRONGEST our middle class has ever been was during periods of labor unions where there was acutal value beyond the bottom line put on the American Laborer. Yet, MAGICALLY, despite the example of Japan the "free traders" would have us believe that a total hands off approach is the best economic system. well, CLEARLY thats a load of shit.

Not to mention, rationalizing third world slave labor just to regurgitate an ignorant fucking talking point.

and, yes the Mexicans ARE the problem since they have no desire to change the nature of their own third world country when there is an escape pod just north of the rio grand. Just like the CHINESE are to blame for allowing their draconian conditions.

Last edited:
I bet timmy's wheelchair was made in the USA.

New Topics

Forum List

Back