Ford's Electric Car

With the number of EVs coming on the market, a battery manufacturer that could increase the capacity of a battery by a factor of two or three would have a ready made market.

A Bmw Megacity EV sports car next?

BMW sales and marketing boss Ian Robertson has confirmed the soon to arrive EV Sports car which is one of the many variants of BMW’s Megacity Electric four-seater cars. More of such variants is also expected from BMW in near future.

Different formats of the Megacity would be launched in 2013 as per Robertson. The completely different design that the sports car beholds with its Vision Efficient Dynamics would make this car a pure electric sports car, he has stated. It would he stated sport and be sold under the BMW badge. Name of the vehicle is yet under consideration but would be an aggressive one. The Megacity itself is made of carbon fiber and about 30% weight reduction has been achieved by this instead of using aluminum which once again is lighter by 30% when compared to steel body cars. Megacity has been set to achieve high targets but it would not be low priced given the high development costs that it has gone through in its making

I've got a couple of cold-climate hybrid-owning friends. Yes the mileage plummets in winter.
The efficiency of internal combustion engines are lower when they are cold. This applies to both hybrids and non-hybrids.

Yes but the ICE vehicles' efficiency drops by maybe 2-3% Whereas the hybrid will drop by up to 30%. A pure EV will drop by more than 50% in some cases. The technology however is improving all the time so within the next ten years or so I think we will see a reasonably efficient EV that the average person could afford and actually want. Currently it's not there.
I know that is not true, at least it isn't for my Ford Fusion. While the engine is cold the ICE runs until the engine is warm. After that it runs in electric mode most of the time. My mileage drops in winter about 4% compared to summer and we get some really cold winters. I don't see how there can be a significant decrease in efficiency. The high voltage battery stays quite warm. In fact there is a fan to keep it cool. There should be almost no difference in the efficiency of electric motor/battery. The Atkinson-cycle engine is up to 10% more efficient than a conventional four-stroke gas engines. I researched the Atkinson engine and could not find any difference in cold weather performance of the Atkinson versus other ICE's.

Great! Now lets talk about the electricity needed to charge all these vehicles.

I think Coal, Natural Gas, Nuclear, Hydro, while trying to make solar and wind more useful, efficient, effective, less expense and real alternatives (because as much as I wish they were right now, they aren't!).

We have more than enough coal to last us a very long time. We have an abundance of natural gas, we have already made hydro a very effective source and we need to start building some new nuclear plants (didn't Obama campaign on building more nuclear plants, yet not one more new one :eusa_eh:)!

Great! Now lets talk about the electricity needed to charge all these vehicles.

yup...hers san frans answer-

Expedited permitting and installation of electric vehicle charging outlets at homes, businesses, parking lots, and other buildings throughout the Bay Area;

Incentives for employers to install EV charging systems in their workplaces and provide similar incentives to parking facilities and other locations where EV charging stations can be installed;

Harmonize local regulations and standards across the region that govern EV infrastructure to achieve regulatory consistency for EV companies as well as expanded range for EV consumers;

Establish common government programs that promote the purchase of EVs;

Link EV programs and infrastructure to regional transit and air quality programs;

Establish programs for aggressive pooled-purchase orders for EVs in municipal, state government, and private sector fleets, and future commitment of purchasing preference for EV vehicles;

Expedited permitting and approval for facilities that provide extended-range driving capability for EVs in the region through battery exchange locations or fast-charging;

Identify and secure suitable standard (110V) electric outlets for charging low-voltage EVs in every government building in 2009;

Identify roll-out plan for placement of 220V EV-charging equipment throughout each city including city parking lots and curbside parking.

Read more: SF Bay Area vies to be country's electric vehicle capital | Digital Media - CNET News

guess who gets to pay for this?

and they plan on subsidizing house installations too....

and the logistics. quick charges still take approx 2-4 hours, the amperage they pull will be supplied by what? unlike gas, you pull in and in 3 minutes later you're full, what if you don't have 2-4 hours to sit around waiting for the charge to get you home? what? you'll need what again?

and where do the cars that don't require this park? you now the evil old fossil fuel cars? because we know whats next, a code that says each lot, co. lot, apt bldgs etc. will be required to have spaces ala handicapped dedicated to elec. cars only......yea, you can always count on the gov eh? the gov. could fu* up a wet dream.

End of oil? How would you like to fly in an electric 747? Stop and plug it in every ten miles? While lefties are salavating about little electric cars nobody wants to buy we are mortgaging our grandkids future to buy oil from tyrants instead of drilling it ourselves.

End of oil? How would you like to fly in an electric 747? Stop and plug it in every ten miles? While lefties are salavating about little electric cars nobody wants to buy we are mortgaging our grandkids future to buy oil from tyrants instead of drilling it ourselves.

How about killing two birds with one stone. Americans are in an obesity epidemic. Have all seats in planes transferred into exercise bikes. Have all the passengers power the airplane, while getting into shape. :lol: How does that sound? :eusa_eh:

Did I say end of oil or foreign oil? Oil is used in a lot of manufactured items, such as asphalt! Of course airplanes can't go off oil anytime soon!

But if we can get our cars off oil, then we will have enough oil reserves from our current domestic locations (which isn't including all the rich oil reserves that the liberals won't let us drill in) for centuries!

My man desire is to see our cars go off of oil and more specifically foreign oil!

New Topics

Forum List

Back