Ford's Electric Car

Ford Unveils Its First Electric Car - FoxNews.com

This is the future. All the auto makers are featuring electric cars. The end of oil is near!

Yup. A few years back, peak oilers were all atwitter over how peak oil itself would cause solutions to peak oil, like EVs, from coming to market. We got 2 new ones last month, we'll get more in 2011 and 2012, and the more we make, the less oil we will use in powering them.

Great! Now lets talk about the electricity needed to charge all these vehicles.

Worried that the sun is going to get turned off sometime soon? What are rooftops in America work in terms of electrical energy, 500 Gw? 700 Gw? Certainly isn't a baseload solution, but at the end of the day finding the energy isn't a problem.

What difference does it make if emmissions are coming from a tailpipe or a smokestack?

None.

True. But there aren't alot of emissions from these things.

1057969941_23f81006fe.jpg

70% of the electricity used to charge these cars will come from coal and natural gas.
I'm not discounting the contribution of wind and solar, nor their potential. But neither will be able to keep up with any substantial use of EV's.

70% of the electricity used to charge these cars will come from coal and natural gas.

Maybe today. Certainly there is no expectation that this percentage will ever remain stable in an environment concentrating on more green sources of electrical generation.

Mr.H said:
I'm not discounting the contribution of wind and solar, nor their potential. But neither will be able to keep up with any substantial use of EV's.

Sure they can. EVs aren't going to replace 225 million ICE powered autos in America tomorrow, any more than those 225 million autos popped up all at once since the Model T was first built.

We build a few EVs, we put up some windmills. We build more EVs, we build a few nukes. We build more EVs, we mandate PVs on the roof for all new residential and commerical construction. We build a few more EVs, and we mandate PVs on all pre-existing residentail and commercial construction when new permits are issued.

Give it a quarter century or so and presto, big chunks of the American public rides around in EVs. Every spike in gasoline costs reinforces the idea that depending on our own ability to generate electricity to run our transport fleet is pretty cool...versus depending on the vulgarities of the world market and crude oil price volatility.

All of the battery technology manufacturing is Chinese. So, just substitute dependence on the middle east with dependence on the Chinese.

all of it? I just bought a new battery for my van at Wally world. Made in the USA by Johnson Controls.

My gell cells in my power chair are also US made as well as the electric motors.

What difference does it make if emmissions are coming from a tailpipe or a smokestack?

None.

I don't care about emission! I care more about getting off foreign oil and reducing the black crack that terrorist states are holding the west hostage with!

None.

I don't care about emission! I care more about getting off foreign oil and reducing the black crack that terrorist states are holding the west hostage with!

Me too. But it appears Obama is doing nothing but trying to stifle domestic oil and gas production and not addressing imports.

Expectations high for Argonne's battery technology
Material might double drive time for electric cars

Argonne battery: New Argonne battery material holds promise - chicagotribune.com

It's nothing more than a piece of a battery that powers electric cars, but the technology developed at Argonne National Laboratory may be a turning point on the road to more efficient electric cars, experts say.

The reason: The material may enable them to travel twice as far as they do now before recharging by boosting the voltage of batteries, lightening their weight and extending their lives.

It's a patented composite cathode material Argonne scientists have been refining since inventing it in 2001. About a year ago, General Motors and LG Chem Ltd., a Korean battery-maker with a subsidiary in Michigan, approached Argonne and started negotiating licensing agreements that were announced last week at a teleconference.

"""This is the beginning of what would be a transformation of our transportation system,""" Argonne director Eric Isaacs said. """And that's huge. … The dawn of a new era."""

Argonne, which emphasizes turning scientific breakthroughs into mainstream use, receives """a few million dollars a year""" in revenue from licensing agreements, Isaacs said. He declined to provide financial terms of Argonne's deal with GM and LG Chem.

"""We're not looking to make a buck,""" he said.

Argonne's budget is $650 million a year, Isaacs said, and the federal government funds two-thirds of it.

"""The point,""" he said, """is to plow it back into good science."""

Interesting, hope it proves useful.

Forum List

Back