Ford Rides Into the E-Bike Market

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
At the Frankfurt Motor Show, Ford introduces a rather surprising addition to its range of vehicles – an E-Bike.

eBikeMediaFord.jpg

Providing the power is a drive system consisting of a motor in the front wheel hub, a lithium-ion battery concealed in the frame, promising a range of up to 85km on a full charge, an integrated controller and patented magnetostriction sensor technology from the world of Formula One.

Magneotostrictive materials are used to convert magnetic energy into kinetic energy, and vice versa. In Formula One, these sensors help handle high engine revolutions in combination with intense thermal strains. They need no physical contact with other parts of the engine, are temperature-independent and are completely maintenance-free.

In the Ford E-Bike, the first application of this technology in the bicycle industry, the sensors read the revolutions in the inner bearing and relay this information to the control unit within a hundredth of a second. The control unit then instantly activates or deactivates the electric motor, providing a seamless integration of the power of the legs with the power of the motor.

Ford Rides into E-Bike Market with Stunning Concept | Ford Motor Company Newsroom

There are scooters that get up to (and over) 100 mpg so I don't think they could make much profit off something E in the cycles market. Too much tech==too much costs.

There are scooters that get up to (and over) 100 mpg so I don't think they could make much profit off something E in the cycles market. Too much tech==too much costs.
E-bikes are being marketed now. I think Walmart offers one for less than $500. The advantage of Ford's E-bike is that it can run 85km on a full charge. Most of the E-bikes currently marketed, use the motor just as an assist. In many parts of the world, the bike is a primary means of transportation. If price was low enough, I see a big market for the product.

At the Frankfurt Motor Show, Ford introduces a rather surprising addition to its range of vehicles – an E-Bike.

eBikeMediaFord.jpg

Providing the power is a drive system consisting of a motor in the front wheel hub, a lithium-ion battery concealed in the frame, promising a range of up to 85km on a full charge, an integrated controller and patented magnetostriction sensor technology from the world of Formula One.

Magneotostrictive materials are used to convert magnetic energy into kinetic energy, and vice versa. In Formula One, these sensors help handle high engine revolutions in combination with intense thermal strains. They need no physical contact with other parts of the engine, are temperature-independent and are completely maintenance-free.

In the Ford E-Bike, the first application of this technology in the bicycle industry, the sensors read the revolutions in the inner bearing and relay this information to the control unit within a hundredth of a second. The control unit then instantly activates or deactivates the electric motor, providing a seamless integration of the power of the legs with the power of the motor.

Ford Rides into E-Bike Market with Stunning Concept | Ford Motor Company Newsroom

OMG! Ford just sold my fancy! Would you believe I have contemplated augmenting my cruiser with tiny motor? Actually got the idea about 2 years ago from a Houstonian I saw riding bike with fabricated engine attached on bike. I congratulated the rider for the innovation and advised patterning innovation. Hope the cyclist took my advice.

Biking in the US is mostly for recreation and sport, but in much of the world biking is regarded as essential transportation. In countries like China and India bikes are essential. Public transportation can't accommodate everyone and private vehicles are just too expensive.

Ideally, the e-bike should be cheaper than a scooter, and can be peddled if needed. Currently electric bikes are both expensive and lame.

Actually the electric hybrid bikes have been out for quite a while. There are many that give you the option of peddeling, and the electric system will match your input, so you get your exercise, but also get a lot more distance quickly for it. Here is just one of very many products available;

Phoenix Hub Motors by Crystalyte

Lithium batteries are pretty good....for freaking drills. I have a Lithium-ion drill with an interchangeable flash light. The drill has good torque and the light is bright. I noticed that they don't lose power gradually like the old ni-cads used to do. When the lithium battery runs out of charge it stops. The light goes out and the drill just stops. Battery technology has come a long way but you wouldn't dare take Ford's battery operated cycle outside your yard or you might be peddling your ass all over town.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back