Ford Focus Electric

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
The Ford Focus Electric is a 5-door hatchback electric car produced by Ford Motor Company. The Focus Electric is Ford's first full production, all-electric passenger vehicle, and production began in December 2011.[1][2] Deliveries for fleet customers in the United States began in December 2011, and deliveries to retail customers are scheduled to take place only in California, New York and New Jersey, in limited numbers, during the first half of 2012, followed by the other 16 initial markets later in 2012.[3][4] The European launch is scheduled for late 2012.[5]

The Focus Electric shares the glider of a third generation Ford Focus. Its electric powertrain uses a 23kWh, liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery pack,[6] which delivers a range of 76 mi (122 km) according to the US Environmental Protection Agency. The agency rated the Focus Electric combined fuel economy at 105 miles per gallon gasoline equivalent (2.2 L/100 km),[7] and ranks the Focus Electric as the most fuel-efficient car sold in the United States in the compact class.[8] The Focus Electric was awarded the 2011 Green Car Vision Award at the 2011 Washington Auto Show.[9]
Ford Focus Electric - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While I hear a lot of bad attention paid to the Volt based on the fact that some connect it with a particular political candidate, I wonder then what the same comments would be on another American built EV will have. The fact is regardless of the these cars having any connection with any political party they are American and as such will eventually lead to a stronger American economy and thats not a bad thing.

Figure the comparison about 2-2/12 mpg to a full electric charge if it was diesel?

Intense, I am an all in sort and whatever it takes as long as it benefits this nation. My contention is as it's always been , it serves not purpose for us as Americans to denegrate our own domestic technology when it benefits us in terms of jobs and long term health no matter what that technology may be. I for one am a huge fan of LNG and think with the domestic supply of NG we should also think about going that direction to. You know I was watching a program the other day about the worlds tallest building in Dubai and it occured to me that most of that was the result of Western nations especially here pumping money over there for our energy needs. So imagine if we had that money here, then perhaps we might realize some of that here.

Intense, I am an all in sort and whatever it takes as long as it benefits this nation. My contention is as it's always been , it serves not purpose for us as Americans to denegrate our own domestic technology when it benefits us in terms of jobs and long term health no matter what that technology may be. I for one am a huge fan of LNG and think with the domestic supply of NG we should also think about going that direction to. You know I was watching a program the other day about the worlds tallest building in Dubai and it occured to me that most of that was the result of Western nations especially here pumping money over there for our energy needs. So imagine if we had that money here, then perhaps we might realize some of that here.

Agreed. Just so long as we do not abandon reason along the way, nor the path. Vision, Discovery, Invention, on one hand. The means on the other. The End does not justify the means, not separate from value, principle, and ideal. We try to stay true to purpose, and pick ourselves up when we fall.

There is no substitute for competence either, be it in vision, discovery, application, or production. You get it right first, before going to mass production, or your end product is a fail. It's just as much about scale, in working out inexcusable problems and retrofits, where the kinks should have first been worked out.

Natural Gas and Diesel are known Technologies. Very adaptable.

Concerning Power Generation, Hydro is my big time favorite. With the advances in Technology, Big time improvement, advancement.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/energ...dams-in-the-pacific-nw-regio.html#post5116440
Imagine expanding that to utilize waste treatment even?

We've communicated on the on site reprocessing of spent fuel rods at our Nuke Plants. What is the score on that? ;)

It is not in our best interest to cover up incompetence or poor leadership. We can't afford it. We should not be enabling it.

Agreed. Just so long as we do not abandon reason along the way, nor the path. Vision, Discovery, Invention, on one hand. The means on the other. The End does not justify the means, not separate from value, principle, and ideal. We try to stay true to purpose, and pick ourselves up when we fall.

There is no substitute for competence either, be it in vision, discovery, application, or production. You get it right first, before going to mass production, or your end product is a fail. It's just as much about scale, in working out inexcusable problems and retrofits, where the kinks should have first been worked out.

Natural Gas and Diesel are known Technologies. Very adaptable.

Concerning Power Generation, Hydro is my big time favorite. With the advances in Technology, Big time improvement, advancement.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/energ...dams-in-the-pacific-nw-regio.html#post5116440
Imagine expanding that to utilize waste treatment even?

We've communicated on the on site reprocessing of spent fuel rods at our Nuke Plants. What is the score on that? ;)

It is not in our best interest to cover up incompetence or poor leadership. We can't afford it. We should not be enabling it.

I would be all in for NG powered car's and personally I think these things are a marketing issue. It's much like the iPhone per se. While the iPhone is no better than any other smartphone people fall all over themselves to get one, and admittedly, I have one, it's the marketing of it that creates the demand for it. I see our nation as having the resources to be very energy independent with a plan that includes every resource we have. I just do not think it serves our nation well to select American products to downtalk because of a political disagreement.

As for Nuke Reprocessing, I do think this can be done in a safe manner, and I also believe that Nuke Power along with several other power types in a distributed power grid serves to hurry our nation off the Middle Eastern teet so to speak. I find it interesting that our nations energy shortfalls are blamed on one party or another, when in fact both of them have been in power and able to solve this issue since President Carter. We have just allowed ourselves to become too accepting of foreign imports on everything including energy. I honestly don't care when the talk of Union, non-Union, all that comes up, my position is this Made in the USA... we need to start that and do it fast. and regardless . I'm for that.

cascadesystem.png

CO2/Ammonia Refrigeration System.

CO2 Refrigeration Systems : Cold Systems LLC

The United States has more natural gas than it knows what to do with - up to 100 years of supply, experts say - thanks to a new drilling technique called hydraulic fracturing which releases huge reserves of natural gas trapped in shale rock.

Natural gas is used mainly in electricity generation and for industry, but with just 120,000 natural gas vehicles on the road and only 900 filling stations, transport remains a tiny fraction of total demand.
Insight: Goodbye gasoline? GM gives natural gas cars a boost | Reuters

I did happen to notice in my reading that both Ford and GM build LNG cars and trucks for China and it would seem that as this nation has a large supply of NG, why then are these cars and trucks not built here as well? Would be a good question to ask considering the fact that our nation is so at the mercy of the whims of OPEC on any given day. The other thing that comes to mind here too, that one of these companies was bailed out by the American tax payer and as such you would think would have more of a vested interest in the health of this nation.

The United States has more natural gas than it knows what to do with - up to 100 years of supply, experts say - thanks to a new drilling technique called hydraulic fracturing which releases huge reserves of natural gas trapped in shale rock.

Natural gas is used mainly in electricity generation and for industry, but with just 120,000 natural gas vehicles on the road and only 900 filling stations, transport remains a tiny fraction of total demand.

I did happen to notice in my reading that both Ford and GM build LNG cars and trucks for China and it would seem that as this nation has a large supply of NG, why then are these cars and trucks not built here as well? Would be a good question to ask considering the fact that our nation is so at the mercy of the whims of OPEC on any given day. The other thing that comes to mind here too, that one of these companies was bailed out by the American tax payer and as such you would think would have more of a vested interest in the health of this nation.

Agreed. Though I personally have concerns about hydraulic fracturing, especially in relation to Earth Quakes, and ground water contamination. The EPA running cover for the industry and the processes and chemicals used, does not help either. Maybe a more long term focus and plan is needed.

Natural gas-a colorless, odorless, gaseous hydrocarbon-may be stored in a number of different ways. It is most commonly held in inventory underground under pressure in three types of facilities. These are: (1) depleted reservoirs in oil and/or gas fields, (2) aquifers, and (3) salt cavern formations. (Natural gas is also stored in liquid form in above-ground tanks. A discussion of liquefied natural gas (LNG) is beyond the scope of this report. For more information about LNG, please see the EIA report, The Global Liquefied Natural Gas Market: Status & Outlook.) Each storage type has its own physical characteristics (porosity, permeability, retention capability) and economics (site preparation and maintenance costs, deliverability rates, and cycling capability), which govern its suitability to particular applications. Two of the most important characteristics of an underground storage reservoir are its capacity to hold natural gas for future use and the rate at which gas inventory can be withdrawn-its deliverability rate (see Storage Measures, below, for key definitions).

Most existing gas storage in the United States is in depleted natural gas or oil fields that are close to consumption centers. Conversion of a field from production to storage duty takes advantage of existing wells, gathering systems, and pipeline connections. Depleted oil and gas reservoirs are the most commonly used underground storage sites because of their wide availability.
The Basics of Underground Natural Gas Storage

Agreed. Though I personally have concerns about hydraulic fracturing, especially in relation to Earth Quakes, and ground water contamination. The EPA running cover for the industry and the processes and chemicals used, does not help either. Maybe a more long term focus and plan is needed.

Natural gas-a colorless, odorless, gaseous hydrocarbon-may be stored in a number of different ways. It is most commonly held in inventory underground under pressure in three types of facilities. These are: (1) depleted reservoirs in oil and/or gas fields, (2) aquifers, and (3) salt cavern formations. (Natural gas is also stored in liquid form in above-ground tanks. A discussion of liquefied natural gas (LNG) is beyond the scope of this report. For more information about LNG, please see the EIA report, The Global Liquefied Natural Gas Market: Status & Outlook.) Each storage type has its own physical characteristics (porosity, permeability, retention capability) and economics (site preparation and maintenance costs, deliverability rates, and cycling capability), which govern its suitability to particular applications. Two of the most important characteristics of an underground storage reservoir are its capacity to hold natural gas for future use and the rate at which gas inventory can be withdrawn-its deliverability rate (see Storage Measures, below, for key definitions).

Most existing gas storage in the United States is in depleted natural gas or oil fields that are close to consumption centers. Conversion of a field from production to storage duty takes advantage of existing wells, gathering systems, and pipeline connections. Depleted oil and gas reservoirs are the most commonly used underground storage sites because of their wide availability.
The Basics of Underground Natural Gas Storage

I tend to think these companies in the business of NG drilling as well as the EPA know how to do this in a safe manner. Where it gets a little offtrack is when "shortcuts" are allowed and drilling is allowed to proceed with no thought as to local environment. I tend to think we as a nation have the capability to do both, which is drill for this stuff and also be good stewards of the environment. I am also of the opinion that both can be and economic benefit if you will. Think for a moment with the two industries working side by side for mutual benefit rather than against one another for a moment and then you might have something. I see our nation selling our abilities short constantly and when we learn we are capable of such things as taking care of the land in which we live and meeting our own domestic energy needs then we really have something.

Agreed, to an extent. Transparency, disclosure, are both needed. We should know what chemicals are being used where, and have established regular monitoring and testing of ground water. You have more faith in the EPA than me. Look at Genetic engineering, from a perspective outside of our Government for instance.

Problem with fracking is that once you contaminate an aquifer, how long before it is usable again?

Again, being raised in dry country in Eastern Oregon, I see contamination of water as a more serious issue than those where is is more plentiful.

Forum List

Back