Ford C-MAX Energi Plug-In Hybrid Rocks the Fuel Efficiency

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Ford C-MAX Energi Plug-In Hybrid Rocks the Fuel Efficiency

Ford C-MAX Energi Plug-In Hybrid Rocks the Fuel Efficiency | The Energy Collective

Ford, already putting up some very impressive official Environmental Protection Agency fuel efficiency numbers with both its 2013 Fusion Hybrid and C-Max Hybrid, now has another feather to add to the cap in its effort to knock Toyota off the king of the hybrids hill. Fresh numbers from the EPA indicate its forthcoming C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid has scored an impressive 108 miles per gallon equivalent (MPGe) in the city and a combined EPA-certified rating of 100 MPGe.

What exactly does 100 miles per gallon equivalent (MPGe) combined mean for the average driver? According to Ford and the EPA, saving nearly $7,000 in fuel costs in five years. Ford, in further trying to define why this is important for you and I put it this way – ”a Californian facing record $5-per-gallon gasoline and turning in an average 23-mpg vehicle for a C-MAX Energi would pay the equivalent of $1.25 per gallon for the same distances traveled.”

image via Ford

The C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid, which we first saw at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show, will price for nearly $30,000 after a federal tax credit. It will be available this fall, and is Ford’s first production plug-in hybrid as well as being part of the venerable automaker’s first hybrid-only dedicated line of vehicles.

According to previous information Ford has put out about its plug-in hybrid, it should offer a range of 550 miles in total and have a projected total system horsepower of 188 that reaches a peak of 195 with a fully charged battery and stems from the combination of a gasoline engine and a battery-driven electric motor.

In terms of its electric only mode capabilities, which the driver can enter via the touch of a button, Ford says the C-Max Energi offers drivers a total EV range of 20 miles. The car makes use of lithium-ion batteries to power the electric motor, and these batteries, depending upon their recharging power source, can be “topped off” in around two and a half hours. It is also equipped with regenerative braking to help slightly extend possible range.

Damn right, skippy.

Ameren is going to build a majorly huge electric power transmission line that will cut across the middle of the state of Illinois.

They've been conducting informational meetings in the area, so I went to one the other day.

The utility rep told us that the main benefit was to induce wind generated power into the grid.

Gal next to me said "what about clean coal'? I followed that with "what about cleaner natural gas"?

He explained that they are simply a transmission entity, not an energy generator. Nuff sed.

But I got to thinking- they are really pimps. Wind energy pimps. "Green" pimps.

Ameren is investing tens of millions of dollars in the anticipation of ultimately accomodating the MANDATED siting of thousands of wind generators across Illinois. MANDATED. Wind. Windmills.

Me? I like hydrocarbons. They work. Wind blows. Chunks.

Combine the Ford C-Max Energi with a 5 kw solar system, and you have a real winner. Power for your home and vehicle. That 20 mile range on electrical will take care of almost all the normal urban households runs to the store and school. The gas range, at 47 mpg, is excellant as well. Ford has a winner here.

Combine the Ford C-Max Energi with a 5 kw solar system, and you have a real winner. Power for your home and vehicle. That 20 mile range on electrical will take care of almost all the normal urban households runs to the store and school. The gas range, at 47 mpg, is excellant as well. Ford has a winner here.
Wrong.

$30,000 AFTER taxpayer subsidy. My wife's non-hybrid Yaris regularly gets 38-40 mpg and on one trip to Boston got 44.

Her Yaris cost only $14,000 and there was NO Taxpayer Subsidy involved.

Forum List

Back