Forcing businesses to accept cash?

You don't have to worry about embezzlement or people giving back wrong change. In addition, you have a clear audit record for income (which is not a bad thing for small businesses that accidentally lose a lot of cash into the owners' pockets). Less chance of a stick up as well. You also don't have to deal with assholes who throw $100 bills on the least expensive thing you sell just so they can get change.

You know, not everyone has an ATM card or a smart phone they can use to make purchases.

I'm sure that if there were a lot of customers in that position, the businesses would make the investment needed to take cash.

At least some would.

I remember when I visited my broker and was bringing the man $450,000 , I asked him if he wanted cash. He said hell no, he can't take cash, it had to be a check.

Considering this is in San Francisco, it wouldn't surprise me as being a move to discourage those of lesser means, and less access to credit or debit cards, from frequenting certain businesses. SF has a big problem right now with indigent residents and it fancies itself a world class, yuppy paradise. Can't have those dirty bums hanging around.

You know, not everyone has an ATM card or a smart phone they can use to make purchases.

I'm sure that if there were a lot of customers in that position, the businesses would make the investment needed to take cash.

At least some would.

I remember when I visited my broker and was bringing the man $450,000 , I asked him if he wanted cash. He said hell no, he can't take cash, it had to be a check.

There is a hell of a lot of difference between giving your broker 450,000 dollars for investing, and wanting to buy a sandwich for 5 bucks.

Forum List

Back