Forbes: Another Sign ObamaCare Works: Wellpoint Boosts Profit Forecast

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Another Sign ObamaCare Works: Wellpoint Boosts Profit Forecast

Wellpoint WLP +0.06% Inc. (WLP), one of the nation’s largest health insurance companies, raised its full-year earnings forecast, citing more than 1 million new health plan members related in part to new business from the Affordable Care Act.

When a company raises its earnings forecast, that means it will make more money than it originally thought. In Wellpoint’s case, the company raised its 2014 “earnings outlook from greater than $8.00 per share to greater than $8.20 per share,” company chief executive officer Joseph Swedish said this morning. Swedish cited “growth of 1 to 1.3 million net new medical members and mid-single digit percent increases in both operating revenue and operating gain.”

Wellpoint specifically cited its ability to successfully manage new business coming from Americans signing up for coverage via the state and federal marketplaces known as exchanges. President Obama last week said that enough Americans have signed up to private health plans under the health law that it will work even though there could be up to two million fewer Americans covered than the White House had hoped.

Seriously, Synth, what are you gloating about here? Do you have Wellpoint stock or something?

So we see Obamacare was to help bug business insurance companies.

Nice to see the truth come out.

Pretty hilarious that we judge the success of public policy by private profits. Tools.
The profit is the indication that people are signing up, therefore making the policy a success.

I'm not surprised that you don't grasp these simple truths.

So we see Obamacare was to help bug business insurance companies.

Nice to see the truth come out.

Pretty hilarious that we judge the success of public policy by private profits. Tools.
The profit is the indication that people are signing up, therefore making the policy a success.

Oh, I grasp it. I'm just a little surprised to see you owning the fact that insurance company profits are the point.

Oh, I grasp it. I'm just a little surprised to see you owning the fact that insurance company profits are the point.
They are going to make profits either way - that's why they are still in business.

I would rather them make the profits on a very large pool of people paying a little, than a very small pool of people paying a lot.

I'm not surprised that you don't understand this, either.

They are going to make profits either way - that's why they are still in business.

I would rather them make the profits on a very large pool of people paying a little, than a very small pool of people paying a lot.

I'm not surprised that you don't understand this, either.

As I'm not surprised to see "liberal" Democrats sucking corporate cock.

I thought insurance companies making money was a bad thing.

Don't be stupid. The gripe in the past is that too much money was going to non healthcare related expenses. The ACA now sees to it that at least 80% of revenue must go to actual healthcare. This will limit profits and wasteful spending and keep premiums down in the long run. If we are going to continue to have private insurance companies be the middle man, then they have to be able to make a profit, and it should be reasonable.

From your source....

Insurance companies for much of this quarter having been telling Wall Street that they are going to be able to manage the first year of risk from newly insured buying subsidized private health plans via government-run exchanges. Under the law, millions of Americans can get subsidies to purchase an array of health plan choices.

So you see profits are "up" because the Government is giving them tax dollars.....this is why you Libs have no credibility.

Suck it, wingnuts! :lol:

So you're celebrating the fact that the big evil health insurance companies that you guys have done nothing but demonize, piss, and whine about for years are now making higher profits because people are forced to buy their products? Really, is that what you're doing? That's exactly what you people have been pissed off about.

Are you any closer to understanding why so many of us here treat you like a complete ass wipe? My son is 11 years old and he has more sense and dignity than you do and probably ever will.

Suck it, wingnuts! :lol:

So you're celebrating the fact that the big evil health insurance companies that you guys have done nothing but demonize, piss, and whine about for years are now making higher profits because people are forced to buy their products? Really, is that what you're doing? That's exactly what you people have been pissed off about.

Are you any closer to understanding why so many of us here treat you like a complete ass wipe? My son is 11 years old and he has more sense and dignity than you do and probably ever will.

It's pretty fucked up, idn't it?

Forum List

Back