For your consideration

Czernobog

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2014
Corner of Chaos and Reason
I recently saw this advertised on my Facebook for purchase to "show your support" for "Blue Lives Matter":

flag.png

I'm curious what you guys think about this. While I fully support our police, and Law Enforcement professionals, I'm not sure that I am entirely comfortable with this sort of promotion. I mean imagine the United States flag being presented with any other colour scheme (say green, and red - the colours of South Africa - in support of "Black Lives matter") for whatever cause you want to think about. Would you consider that a disrespectful use of the American Flag? Then why would it be any less disrespectful, just because it happens to be a cause that one happens to agree with?

Now, I have no doubt that people are going to bring up flag burning, "art projects" (you'll notice I put that in quotation marks) in which the "artist" pisses on the flag, stomps on the flag, or, in some other way, disrespects the flag. While I understand that the Supreme Court have decided that this is a legal act of expression, I still find it no less disrespectful. So, let us not get bogged down in whether it is legal, or not. I am more interested in whether you think it is appropriate.

Jackboots are above the law!!!

People aren't against "the police " . They are against bad cops and police brutality .

People aren't against "the police " . They are against bad cops and police brutality .
Okay. Two points.

First: I already said this isn't really about legality. I already know that the Courts have already ruled that this would be legal. I was asking about whether it is appropriate.

Second: This isn't really a referendum on "Blue Lives Matter". You can agree with the cause, or not. That is debateable. But, even those who agree with the cause, I'm wondering if they could understand why I might be concerned about this particular expression of support.

The flag thing seems to be trending . You see all these alternate flags for whatever cause .

What bothers me more . Cars who take off their front plate and replace it wh a blue line plate . The message being "I'm a cop or cop relative, so don't give me a ticket ". Legally you are supposed to have two plates .

I recently saw this advertised on my Facebook for purchase to "show your support" for "Blue Lives Matter":

flag.png

I'm curious what you guys think about this. While I fully support our police, and Law Enforcement professionals, I'm not sure that I am entirely comfortable with this sort of promotion. I mean imagine the United States flag being presented with any other colour scheme (say green, and red - the colours of South Africa - in support of "Black Lives matter") for whatever cause you want to think about. Would you consider that a disrespectful use of the American Flag? Then why would it be any less disrespectful, just because it happens to be a cause that one happens to agree with?

Now, I have no doubt that people are going to bring up flag burning, "art projects" (you'll notice I put that in quotation marks) in which the "artist" pisses on the flag, stomps on the flag, or, in some other way, disrespects the flag. While I understand that the Supreme Court have decided that this is a legal act of expression, I still find it no less disrespectful. So, let us not get bogged down in whether it is legal, or not. I am more interested in whether you think it is appropriate.

Altering the flag is in violation of the flag code.

flag.png

Altering the flag is in violation of the flag code.
Not sure that covers the colours. But, again, the response seems to be centred on the legality rather than the ethics of the question. Am I to presume from the responses that I am alone in having ethical concerns with doing this to the flag? I guess I'll bring up the things I did in the OP, then. How is it, then, that people are so offended by disrespecting the flag by doing things like burning it, but not by changing it so that it is no longer our nation's flag?

There needs to be a team of special prosecutors for police that do wrong. They can't be people that deal with the police to convict criminals day in and day out. This a common-sense solution.

1-2 per county and publicly elected every 2 years.

People are hypocrites. I guess that's what you are getting at .

Like when you see people wh big flags tied to their trucks . Flag gets all tattered , but it's ok!

Pound Salt Butt Burt Jihadi.

LEO 99% of them are hard working Honest people placed in difficult situations. We have the best LEO in the world and the most protections for our citizens against abuses.

To refer to any cop as a Jack Boot when most of them vehimently support your Constitutional Rights Disgusts Me.

You should move somewhere else more to your liking so you can get a damn education in reality!

Last edited:
Redo the flag for BLM

Then we can do it in 3 different shades of green for the Irish...

How about red White and Green for Christmas?

What colors should we do for Chinese New Year?

There needs to be a team of special prosecutors for police that do wrong. They can't be people that deal with the police to convict criminals day in and day out. This a common-sense solution.

There are lots of good PDs who have good relations wh their communities . Then there are some that suck . Just like with every agency . Why is it such a bad thing to question some police behavior !?

There are lots of good PDs who have good relations wh their communities . Then there are some that suck . Just like with every agency . Why is it such a bad thing to question some police behavior !?

Define "PDS" in this situation and I can respond.

Also, where did I ever say police behavior shouldn't be questioned?

Police departments.

You didn't say that . I was in agreement with what u said .

LEO 99% of them are hard working Honest people placed in difficult situations. We have the best LEO in the world and the most protections for our citizens against abuses.

To refer to any cop as a Jack Boot when most of them vehimently support your Constitutional Rights Disgusts Me.

You should move somewhere else more to your liking so you can get a damn education in reality!

People scream about how I am a nasty liberal! Well, I support our cops and believe that they need to get tough at times when criminals break the law.

Once again, the purpose of my OP WAS. NOT. intended as a referendum on the "Blue Lives Matter" cause. Love the police. Hate the police. Behold the field with all of the fucks I don't give:

452608468_a5e4905986_z.jpg

I want to know about people's opinions on what was done to our nation's flag in the name of this cause...

Police departments.

You didn't say that . I was in agreement with what u said .

Okay, so I think we're on the same page. Regular DAs work with police day in and day out to convict criminals. When a cop is accused of something, it needs to be someone else.

People scream about how I am a nasty liberal! Well, I support our cops and believe that they need to get tough at times when criminals break the law.

Once again, the purpose of my OP WAS. NOT. intended as a referendum on the "Blue Lives Matter" cause. Love the police. Hate the police. Behold the field with all of the fucks I don't give:

452608468_a5e4905986_z.jpg

I want to know about people's opinions on what was done to our nation's flag in the name of this cause...

I don't feel like you exactly clarified your position in the OP.
Sorry. That's not the US flag, next!

flag.png

Although I support the police I wouldn't display the Blue Lives Matter flag. I would have a bumper sticker with Blue Lives Matter on it. The American flag is the symbol of the greatest country on earth and each color, stripes and stars have a meaning. I can't find the word "expression" in the 1st Amendment or the Constitution and I can't imagine how those liberal progressive members of SCOTUS can think shitting on or burning the flag is "expression." They need their old bony asses stomped for that decision. And the people who desecrate the flag need some broken arms and cracked skulls.

Forum List

Back