For Vietnam Vets, an apology and thanks

JenT

God lead our troops
Jul 3, 2009
West of the Rockies
As our nation cheers and applauds the homecoming of our troops these days, I'd like to say out loud what I know is felt by many Americans...

We are so very sorry, Vietnam Vets.

Although today's troops deserve our grateful support, it's obvious that America is being especially careful not to repeat our shameful past of blaming our troops, to support them and welcome them home, regardless of what we feel about politics.

I believe that we often add an extra spoonful of gratitude today because of our guilt over our treatment of the Vietnam vets and their homecoming. And I have to wonder, as the Vietnam vets watch the parades over today's heroes, do they recognize that part of it is meant for them? Sadly, I don't think so.

I remember the days of the Vietnam war, and the pictures I saw of the spitting on our soldiers at their homecoming, blood throwing, the protests, anger and hostility. I was just a kid, I didn't know any vets, but I remember thinking the treatment was just as my thoughts went along with the crowd, and for that, with all my heart, dear Viet Nam vets, I apologize.

Your sacrifices are so very appreciated, the wounds you continue to carry physically and in your hearts and your minds, are not forgotten. Every time I realize I am talking with a Vietnam vet, I have such a desire to hug you with sincere gratitude, but I never do, because I am certain it would be misunderstood.

Vietnam vets don't like to talk about the war, or dwell upon it. It's rare that the identity is even disclosed, and once it is, that haunted look of steel comes over a Vietnam vet's face as memories flood their thoughts, and I know they want to drop the subject immediately.

So I stand there, searching for words to change the subject, wishing I could express my gratitude but not knowing how.

I believe much of America feels the same way. And when our troops come home from Iraq or Afghanistan or the Gulf, we clap a little louder, we cheer a little longer, and we throw larger parties.

But Vietnam Vets, please know that at the same time, so many of us are cheering you too. We gasp as the media reports our troops are worried they will be treated as you were. We are stabbed with guilt at the thought...and like most spoiled children, many of us quickly dismiss it, we don't like to admit guilt. So we exuberantly express it where we can, today, with our troops coming home, and hope that makes up for it. And it doesn't.

But make no mistake, we cheer for you too. And we grieve our past mistakes.

So as you watch the troops of today flooded with praise and glorious homecomings, and you feel a pang of hurt and anger as you remember your fallen friends, the horrors of war you went through, the sacrifices you made for us, to come home and be torn apart by us...all I can say is, please forgive us. I, for one, was an idiot. We all were. And we wish so much that we could find a way to express our gratitude. We can't undo the past, we can only ask for your forgiveness, I pray that you can.

I have looked for an organization to donate to, in expression of gratitude. The best I could find was Closer Walk Ministries, but how can they or any organization even attempt to undo the damage we have done, reach all Vietnam Vets and express our gratitude? America, I think we missed our chance.

You are heroes in my eyes. And when you hear the cheering of our troops today, please please know that many of us have you on our hearts, minds and prayers as well. God bless you. ~jen

From Patrick O'Hannigan: ~ This is a story about a Viet Nam vet and Ann Margaret as told by the vet's wife:

Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margaret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.

A few years ago, Ann Margaret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to sign the treasured photo so he
arrived at the bookstore at 12 o'clock for the 7:30 signing.

When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the bookstore, circled the parking lot and disappeared behind a parking garage. Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted.

Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much those shows meant to lonely GI's so far from home. Ann Margaret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as second in line, it was soon Richard's turn.

He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo. When he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she would not sign
it. Richard said, "I understand. I just wanted her to see it."

She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for 'my gentlemen.'"

With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to-do about the bravery of the young men she met
over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear.
She then posed for pictures and acted as if he was the only one there.

Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big strong husband broke down in tears."That's the first time
anyone ever thanked me for my time in the Army," he said.

That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll never forget Ann Margaret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband.

I now make it a point to say "Thank you" to every person I come across who served in our Armed Forces. Freedom does not come cheap and I am grateful for all those who have served their country.
AnnMar2.gif

As our nation cheers and applauds the homecoming of our troops these days, I'd like to say out loud what I know is felt by many Americans...

Although today's troops deserve our grateful support, it's obvious that America is being especially careful not to repeat our shameful past of blaming our troops, to support them and welcome them home, regardless of what we feel about politics.

I believe that we often add an extra spoonful of gratitude today because of our guilt over our treatment of the Vietnam vets and their homecoming. And I have to wonder, as the Vietnam vets watch the parades over today's heroes, do they recognize that part of it is meant for them? Sadly, I don't think so.

I remember the days of the Vietnam war, and the pictures I saw of the spitting on our soldiers at their homecoming, blood throwing, the protests, anger and hostility. I was just a kid, I didn't know any vets, but I remember thinking the treatment was just as my thoughts went along with the crowd, and for that, with all my heart, dear Viet Nam vets, I apologize.

Your sacrifices are so very appreciated, the wounds you continue to carry physically and in your hearts and your minds, are not forgotten. Every time I realize I am talking with a Vietnam vet, I have such a desire to hug you with sincere gratitude, but I never do, because I am certain it would be misunderstood.

Vietnam vets don't like to talk about the war, or dwell upon it. It's rare that the identity is even disclosed, and once it is, that haunted look of steel comes over a Vietnam vet's face as memories flood their thoughts, and I know they want to drop the subject immediately.

So I stand there, searching for words to change the subject, wishing I could express my gratitude but not knowing how.

I believe much of America feels the same way. And when our troops come home from Iraq or Afghanistan or the Gulf, we clap a little louder, we cheer a little longer, and we throw larger parties.

But Vietnam Vets, please know that at the same time, so many of us are cheering you too. We gasp as the media reports our troops are worried they will be treated as you were. We are stabbed with guilt at the thought...and like most spoiled children, many of us quickly dismiss it, we don't like to admit guilt. So we exuberantly express it where we can, today, with our troops coming home, and hope that makes up for it. And it doesn't.

So as you watch the troops of today flooded with praise and glorious homecomings, and you feel a pang of hurt and anger as you remember your fallen friends, the horrors of war you went through, the sacrifices you made for us, to come home and be torn apart by us...all I can say is, please forgive us. I, for one, was an idiot. We all were. And we wish so much that we could find a way to express our gratitude. We can't undo the past, we can only ask for your forgiveness, I pray that you can.

I have looked for an organization to donate to, in expression of gratitude. The best I could find was Closer Walk Ministries, but how can they or any organization even attempt to undo the damage we have done, reach all Vietnam Vets and express our gratitude? America, I think we missed our chance.

You are heroes in my eyes. And when you hear the cheering of our troops today, please please know that many of us have you on our hearts, minds and prayers as well. God bless you. ~jen

From Patrick O'Hannigan: ~ This is a story about a Viet Nam vet and Ann Margaret as told by the vet's wife:

Richard, (my husband), never really talked a lot about his time in Viet Nam other than he had been shot by a sniper. However, he had a rather grainy, 8 x 10 black and white photo he had taken at a USO show of Ann Margaret with Bob Hope in the background that was one of his treasures.

A few years ago, Ann Margaret was doing a book signing at a local bookstore. Richard wanted to see if he could get her to sign the treasured photo so he

When I got there after work, the line went all the way around the bookstore, circled the parking lot and disappeared behind a parking garage. Before her appearance, bookstore employees announced that she would sign only her book and no memorabilia would be permitted.

Richard was disappointed, but wanted to show her the photo and let her know how much those shows meant to lonely GI's so far from home. Ann Margaret came out looking as beautiful as ever and, as second in line, it was soon Richard's turn.

He presented the book for her signature and then took out the photo. When he did, there were many shouts from the employees that she would not sign

She took one look at the photo, tears welled up in her eyes and she said, "This is one of my gentlemen from Viet Nam and I most certainly will sign his photo. I know what these men did for their country and I always have time for 'my gentlemen.'"

With that, she pulled Richard across the table and planted a big kiss on him. She then made quite a to-do about the bravery of the young men she met
over the years, how much she admired them, and how much she appreciated them. There weren't too many dry eyes among those close enough to hear.

Later at dinner, Richard was very quiet. When I asked if he'd like to talk about it, my big strong husband broke down in tears."That's the first time

That night was a turning point for him. He walked a little straighter and, for the first time in years, was proud to have been a Vet. I'll never forget Ann Margaret for her graciousness and how much that small act of kindness meant to my husband.

I now make it a point to say "Thank you" to every person I come across who served in our Armed Forces. Freedom does not come cheap and I am grateful for all those who have served their country.
AnnMar2.gif

Do you know what I personally remember that sticks in my craw..even today? Being left in the field...under combat conditions, without the needed medical supplies...because the GREAT LIBERALS of our LAND de-funded our supply line, while we were very much still under arms, simply to make a political move. The last few months spent in country were terrible, MARVIN had to be lobbied to gain the needed supplies to preform my basic duties as a 91B, as MARVIN THE ARVIN had access to more supplies than we did. We were nothing but human fodder.....pawns of the POLITICAL GAME.

Last edited:
Thanking losers is not the American way.

Electing them is a different story.

Last edited:
The military are always going to be pawns. The military is a political tool. Decisions about use should be based on objective considerations and not emotion. The fact is that war is a risky business, people get killed. People who volunteer for military service know that they're entering a risky business and accept it, conscripts are forced into it. Pawns all, always.

please provide links to all these stories about americans spitting on and throwing blood on vietnam vets...cause most of that is simply bullshit....i welcomed home a soldier from two tours....and he is not the only one.....my friends did tours etc...i never remember anyone spitting or saying anything to them....this is one of the vietnam myths....please provide proof of what you have posted...

do you feel this way about vets from the uss liberty? they were called liars etc...do you speak up for them too?

By early April, stories were circulating in several US cities about uniformed military personnel being spat on or otherwise mistreated. In Asheville, North Carolina, two Marines were rumored to have been spat upon, while in Spokane, Washington, a threat to "spit on the troops when they return from Iraq" was reportedly issued. In Burlington, Vermont, a leader of the state National Guard told local television, "We've had some spitting incidents," and then claimed one of his Guardswomen had been stoned by anti-war teenagers.

Upon further investigation, none of the stories panned out — the Spokane "threat" stemmed from the misreading of a letter in the local paper promising that opponents of the war would not spit on returning soldiers — and yet, in each case the rumors were used to stoke pro-war rallies.

Vietnam Veterans Against the War: THE VETERAN: Spitting on the Troops: Old Myth, New Rumors

What I did find is that around 1980, scores of Vietnam-generation men were saying they were greeted by spitters when they came home from Vietnam. There is an element of urban legend in the stories in that their point of origin in time and place is obscure, and, yet, they have very similar details. The story told by the man who spat on Jane Fonda at a book signing in Kansas City recently is typical. Michael Smith said he came back through Los Angeles airport where ''people were lined up to spit on us."

Like many stories of the spat-upon veteran genre, Smith's lacks credulity. GIs landed at military airbases, not civilian airports, and protesters could not have gotten onto the bases and anywhere near deplaning troops. There may have been exceptions, of course, but in those cases how would protesters have known in advance that a plane was being diverted to a civilian site? And even then, returnees would have been immediately bused to nearby military installations and processed for reassignment or discharge.

Boston.com / News / Boston Globe / Opinion / Op-ed / Debunking a spitting image

Plagiarism is a no no, Jen. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Also, the post you pretended as yours is full of errors.

If you want to apologize to vets, go right ahead. Don't apologize on behalf of anyone else.

Most of the shit I got wasn't from anti-war protestors.

It was from peckerheaded WWII and Korean Vets.

But to be fair, most of the aforementioned who gave us shit were barstool heros, too.

Mostly we're weren't treated badly when we got home, we were just ignored to death.

By early April, stories were circulating in several US cities about uniformed military personnel being spat on or otherwise mistreated. In Asheville, North Carolina, two Marines were rumored to have been spat upon, while in Spokane, Washington, a threat to "spit on the troops when they return from Iraq" was reportedly issued. In Burlington, Vermont, a leader of the state National Guard told local television, "We've had some spitting incidents," and then claimed one of his Guardswomen had been stoned by anti-war teenagers.

Upon further investigation, none of the stories panned out — the Spokane "threat" stemmed from the misreading of a letter in the local paper promising that opponents of the war would not spit on returning soldiers — and yet, in each case the rumors were used to stoke pro-war rallies.

Vietnam Veterans Against the War: THE VETERAN: Spitting on the Troops: Old Myth, New Rumors

Myth? LOL There was a female in 1975 at the seatac airport that would disagree. I am not sure if it was her black eye or her hurt feelings from being punched in the face that causes me to point it out.

Myth? LOL There was a female in 1975 at the seatac airport that would disagree. I am not sure if it was her black eye or her hurt feelings from being punched in the face that causes me to point it out.

Reads like bullshit to me, lad.

Plagiarism is a no no, Jen. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Also, the post you pretended as yours is full of errors.

If you want to apologize to vets, go right ahead. Don't apologize on behalf of anyone else.

Here I thought I was the only person that noticed that....

AnnMar2.gif

Do you know what I personally remember that sticks in my craw..even today? Being left in the field...under combat conditions, without the needed medical supplies...because the GREAT LIBERALS of our LAND de-funded our supply line, while we were very much still under arms, simply to make a political move. The last few months spent in country were terrible, MARVIN had to be lobbied to gain the needed supplies to preform my basic duties as a 91B, as MARVIN THE ARVIN had access to more supplies than we did. We were nothing but human fodder.....pawns of the POLITICAL GAME.

Bless you Ralph, and thank you so much for fighting for us. I've heard about how difficult it was when we pulled out (and before) and what happened after we left.

Our nation has been the reason so many other nations are able to stand in freedom. The strength of our military and capabilities has kept so many other nations in check and afforded freedom worldwide. And we get kicked around by other nations for it, just like our police do. We don't appreciate them, even resent their patroling us, until we need them. We don't think about the chaos that would ensue if we didn't have them.

But now other nations are starting to feel the heat as our nation is basically resigning from defending even ourselves. Suddenly those nations that could afford to be arrogant about their neutral stance are beginning to get nervous as Obama bows down to Muslim nations. Starting to realize the threat (a bit late) France is working to outlaw burkas completely. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/france-split-over-plan-to-outlaw-burqa-1710747.html All these nations that could brag about not needing to get involved in the power struggle because America was willing to stand in the gap, are now realizing our efforts, our strength, our troops that volunteered to stand up against tyranny worldwide...well it's amazing how much people will miss you after you're gone.

So THANK YOU Ralph, for being a part of that military force that kept other nations in check. Even though you were not supported on the field, even though our political unrest at home caused the fallout to be so lethal, I for one am extremely grateful. How many families in how many countries slept better at night because of our presence, we will never know. But as we are being led into a one-world system by our socialist president, I fear the appreciation will be too late.

ThankTroops.jpg

Rose.jpg

Last edited:
The military are always going to be pawns. The military is a political tool. Decisions about use should be based on objective considerations and not emotion. The fact is that war is a risky business, people get killed. People who volunteer for military service know that they're entering a risky business and accept it, conscripts are forced into it. Pawns all, always.

I don't look for anyone to give me any thanks. I'm happy as hell to be home and in one piece. I get to grow old with my wife. But whenever someone does thank me for my service, I'm grateful and humbled because I see it as nothing more than just doing my job. But it feels good to be appreciated.

I don't disagree with you that the military is a political pawn of those in power. I see that as a reality. Clauswitz said it many years ago, "war is a continuation of politics by other means."

Our pawns really kick ass, though.

And you wrote that from the comfort of your home, sitting at a desk behind your computer while our military is out there making their presence known so that you can have that comfort.

Did you serve in the military? I hope so. Because if you didn't, and wrote what you just wrote...

Thanking losers is not the American way.

Electing them is a different story.

Don't know what you mean by losers. If you bother to do some research, you'll find that the American military won every single decisive battle in that shithole. Even the Tet Offensive, which liberals paint as a humiliating defeat for US forces was, in reality, a military disaster for the North Vietnamese. The Viet Cong were eliminated in short order. This one was lost by the politicians because they lacked the will to go for the kill. Instead, they prolonged the war.

There are a lot of valuable lessons-learned from Vietnam. Had we, as a nation, embraced those lessons rather than try to bury our experience there in shame, then perhaps we wouldn't have gotten into the mess we're currently in at Iraq and Afghanistan.

To those who've been there, done that: welcome home, brothers

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!

please provide links to all these stories about americans spitting on and throwing blood on vietnam vets...cause most of that is simply bullshit....i welcomed home a soldier from two tours....and he is not the only one.....my friends did tours etc...i never remember anyone spitting or saying anything to them....this is one of the vietnam myths....please provide proof of what you have posted...

do you feel this way about vets from the uss liberty? they were called liars etc...do you speak up for them too?

I had no idea anyone would need to provide proof. Maybe it's because I live in California and during that time we were flooded with all the hippies and all the protests. I was just a kid but I remember looking up to my hippie neighbor and idolizing him as he went into his rants about the war. I believe it was a Life Magazine that my older sister kept for years that had graphic pictures of picketers protesting as our men came home. And I remember how I idolized my sister and my neighbor and their views, and that's why I personally am ashamed.

It was no myth. And the reason I wrote that article a few years ago when our troops were just starting to take on Iraq was I remember hearing from SO MANY that our troops were worried when they got back they would be treated like the Vietnam Vets were.

At first we were all nervous when they first started coming home, the news seemed poised to report any problems, but everyone seemed careful not to go down that road again and it seemed they were fully supported and the fears dwindled. There were a lot of welcome homes and I couldn't stop thinking about how that felt to the Vietnam vets. The contrast. That had to be hard. And I still think, in spite of the posts I have yet to get to, that there was an extra helping of assurance for that very reason. Because those of us who can remember, do. And I have to think those who flame me for this thread must be a lot younger than I am. Or else buried in some state where they didn't see all this stuff going on. Because it was HUGE in California.

What a disgusting liberal spin. Is the left so ashamed of what they did to our vets that you have to spin something like this?

Or maybe it's because you want to blindly repeat what happened before?

First you cut the legs under our military, then the left spits at them as they come home, and now after public sentiment changes about the whole thing and the left wants to carry on with the same infantile protests you just spin that the mistreatment of the Vietnam vets never happened?

I cannot fathom anyone could possibly claim what happened didn't happen, but I wouldn't put it past the libs to just make up anything they want and pretend it to be so. You live in a fantasy world and in your fantasy you can just make all war go away and everyone will hug each other and war will be over and no one will attack anyone. Even though the whole history of humankind has been nothing but tyranny and survival of the fittest, I suppose you think we live in a civilized world where there is no greed because you were brought up in an American home of abundance and can't comprehend why anyone would fight.

Your bubble is about to explode.

Last edited:
What I did find is that around 1980, scores of Vietnam-generation men were saying they were greeted by spitters when they came home from Vietnam. There is an element of urban legend in the stories in that their point of origin in time and place is obscure, and, yet, they have very similar details. The story told by the man who spat on Jane Fonda at a book signing in Kansas City recently is typical. Michael Smith said he came back through Los Angeles airport where ''people were lined up to spit on us."

Like many stories of the spat-upon veteran genre, Smith's lacks credulity. GIs landed at military airbases, not civilian airports, and protesters could not have gotten onto the bases and anywhere near deplaning troops. There may have been exceptions, of course, but in those cases how would protesters have known in advance that a plane was being diverted to a civilian site? And even then, returnees would have been immediately bused to nearby military installations and processed for reassignment or discharge.

Boston.com / News / Boston Globe / Opinion / Op-ed / Debunking a spitting image

Oh yeah, I can picture it now. After trudging through the jungles of Vietnam, seeing his buddies blown apart, feeling stranded and ill equipped, told to claw his way through Hamburger Hill, ACTUALLY SURVIVES to come home, what few men finally get here are greeted by a bunch of pansy hippie protesters spitting at them. A reporter rushes up, eager to get a picture but unfortunately spitting takes a split second with no warning and he didn't get the shot...so he asks the soldier, fresh from Vietnam, :eek: WERE YOU SPIT ON??? HOW DID IT FEEL???

I wonder how many reporters got flattened before they learned to shut up.

Forum List

Back