For Vietnam Vets, an apology and thanks

Discussion in 'Military' started by JenT, Aug 15, 2009.

1. JenT

JenT God lead our troops

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +253
    As our nation cheers and applauds the homecoming of our troops these days, I'd like to say out loud what I know is felt by many Americans...

We are so very sorry, Vietnam Vets.

Although today's troops deserve our grateful support, it's obvious that America is being especially careful not to repeat our shameful past of blaming our troops, to support them and welcome them home, regardless of what we feel about politics.

I believe that we often add an extra spoonful of gratitude today because of our guilt over our treatment of the Vietnam vets and their homecoming. And I have to wonder, as the Vietnam vets watch the parades over today's heroes, do they recognize that part of it is meant for them? Sadly, I don't think so.

I remember the days of the Vietnam war, and the pictures I saw of the spitting on our soldiers at their homecoming, blood throwing, the protests, anger and hostility. I was just a kid, I didn't know any vets, but I remember thinking the treatment was just as my thoughts went along with the crowd, and for that, with all my heart, dear Viet Nam vets, I apologize.

Your sacrifices are so very appreciated, the wounds you continue to carry physically and in your hearts and your minds, are not forgotten. Every time I realize I am talking with a Vietnam vet, I have such a desire to hug you with sincere gratitude, but I never do, because I am certain it would be misunderstood.

Vietnam vets don't like to talk about the war, or dwell upon it. It's rare that the identity is even disclosed, and once it is, that haunted look of steel comes over a Vietnam vet's face as memories flood their thoughts, and I know they want to drop the subject immediately.

So I stand there, searching for words to change the subject, wishing I could express my gratitude but not knowing how.

I believe much of America feels the same way. And when our troops come home from Iraq or Afghanistan or the Gulf, we clap a little louder, we cheer a little longer, and we throw larger parties.

But Vietnam Vets, please know that at the same time, so many of us are cheering you too. We gasp as the media reports our troops are worried they will be treated as you were. We are stabbed with guilt at the thought...and like most spoiled children, many of us quickly dismiss it, we don't like to admit guilt. So we exuberantly express it where we can, today, with our troops coming home, and hope that makes up for it. And it doesn't.

But make no mistake, we cheer for you too. And we grieve our past mistakes.

So as you watch the troops of today flooded with praise and glorious homecomings, and you feel a pang of hurt and anger as you remember your fallen friends, the horrors of war you went through, the sacrifices you made for us, to come home and be torn apart by us...all I can say is, please forgive us. I, for one, was an idiot. We all were. And we wish so much that we could find a way to express our gratitude. We can't undo the past, we can only ask for your forgiveness, I pray that you can.

I have looked for an organization to donate to, in expression of gratitude. The best I could find was Closer Walk Ministries, but how can they or any organization even attempt to undo the damage we have done, reach all Vietnam Vets and express our gratitude? America, I think we missed our chance.

You are heroes in my eyes. And when you hear the cheering of our troops today, please please know that many of us have you on our hearts, minds and prayers as well. God bless you. ~jen

[​IMG]

2. Ralph

Ralph Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Do you know what I personally remember that sticks in my craw..even today? Being left in the field...under combat conditions, without the needed medical supplies...because the GREAT LIBERALS of our LAND de-funded our supply line, while we were very much still under arms, simply to make a political move. The last few months spent in country were terrible, MARVIN had to be lobbied to gain the needed supplies to preform my basic duties as a 91B, as MARVIN THE ARVIN had access to more supplies than we did. We were nothing but human fodder.....pawns of the POLITICAL GAME.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  3. JW Frogen

JW Frogen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    Thanking losers is not the American way.

Electing them is a different story.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  4. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    The military are always going to be pawns. The military is a political tool. Decisions about use should be based on objective considerations and not emotion. The fact is that war is a risky business, people get killed. People who volunteer for military service know that they're entering a risky business and accept it, conscripts are forced into it. Pawns all, always.

5. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,897
    please provide links to all these stories about americans spitting on and throwing blood on vietnam vets...cause most of that is simply bullshit....i welcomed home a soldier from two tours....and he is not the only one.....my friends did tours etc...i never remember anyone spitting or saying anything to them....this is one of the vietnam myths....please provide proof of what you have posted...

do you feel this way about vets from the uss liberty? they were called liars etc...do you speak up for them too?

6. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,897
    By early April, stories were circulating in several US cities about uniformed military personnel being spat on or otherwise mistreated. In Asheville, North Carolina, two Marines were rumored to have been spat upon, while in Spokane, Washington, a threat to "spit on the troops when they return from Iraq" was reportedly issued. In Burlington, Vermont, a leader of the state National Guard told local television, "We've had some spitting incidents," and then claimed one of his Guardswomen had been stoned by anti-war teenagers.

Upon further investigation, none of the stories panned out — the Spokane "threat" stemmed from the misreading of a letter in the local paper promising that opponents of the war would not spit on returning soldiers — and yet, in each case the rumors were used to stoke pro-war rallies.

Vietnam Veterans Against the War: THE VETERAN: Spitting on the Troops: Old Myth, New Rumors

7. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,897
    What I did find is that around 1980, scores of Vietnam-generation men were saying they were greeted by spitters when they came home from Vietnam. There is an element of urban legend in the stories in that their point of origin in time and place is obscure, and, yet, they have very similar details. The story told by the man who spat on Jane Fonda at a book signing in Kansas City recently is typical. Michael Smith said he came back through Los Angeles airport where ''people were lined up to spit on us."

Like many stories of the spat-upon veteran genre, Smith's lacks credulity. GIs landed at military airbases, not civilian airports, and protesters could not have gotten onto the bases and anywhere near deplaning troops. There may have been exceptions, of course, but in those cases how would protesters have known in advance that a plane was being diverted to a civilian site? And even then, returnees would have been immediately bused to nearby military installations and processed for reassignment or discharge.

Boston.com / News / Boston Globe / Opinion / Op-ed / Debunking a spitting image

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,774
    Plagiarism is a no no, Jen. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Also, the post you pretended as yours is full of errors.

If you want to apologize to vets, go right ahead. Don't apologize on behalf of anyone else.

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Most of the shit I got wasn't from anti-war protestors.

It was from peckerheaded WWII and Korean Vets.

But to be fair, most of the aforementioned who gave us shit were barstool heros, too.

Mostly we're weren't treated badly when we got home, we were just ignored to death.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  10. Full-Auto

Full-Auto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,615
    Myth? LOL There was a female in 1975 at the seatac airport that would disagree. I am not sure if it was her black eye or her hurt feelings from being punched in the face that causes me to point it out.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3