For US veterans, what does it mean to heal a moral injury?

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
The Marine Corps observes its birthday every Nov. 10. On that day in 2004, as the Corps turned 229, Peter Giannopoulos spotted his friend Ryan Berg inside a mess tent on a U.S. military base in central Iraq.

Both men had deployed weeks earlier with the Marine Corps Reserve to an area known as the Triangle of Death. By then, less than two years after American forces had invaded, bloodshed and chaos engulfed the country as the Iraqi insurgency burned to full flame.

The two corporals smiled at the chance meeting, their first in the war zone. “Happy birthday, Marines,” Giannopoulos said to Berg and a few others seated by him. Berg chatted with him for a minute before Gino, as most called him, strode outside to join his platoon for its next mission.
For US veterans, what does it mean to heal a moral injury?

This turned out to be a well done article.

What was america's last constitutional war?
Yeah, someone shot me down for saying yesterday that our elected representatives in Congress haven't officially approved a war since WWII.
I got told I was full of shit. It's what I've heard a lot of times over the years. Was I wrong?

Yeah, someone shot me down for saying yesterday that our elected representatives in Congress haven't officially approved a war since WWII.
I got told I was full of shit. It's what I've heard a lot of times over the years. Was I wrong?
Mo mam, you're spot on, the constitution has been rendered meaningless. The constitution is for the unsubstantial people to believe in.

....war/combat/killing is not a normal everyday human ''endeavor'' [ although it is a human '''trait'' ]

from your link:
He remembers wondering,Why are we trying to westernize a country that really does not want to be westernized?”
..I didn't think we are trying to westernize it--if anything, we want to stabilize it

we CAN'T change the culture--but we do want to hinder the terrorists/etc as much as possible

America have been duped into war after war by Progressives.

President Wilson was able to rally the US to war after the sinking of the Lusitania, a boat that reportedly only had civilians on board and sunk by German U boats. However, upon dives it was discovered to have been loaded with war supplies and ammo. President Wilson was already at war prior to the declaration of war obtained after people thought the sinking was unjustified.

World War 2 started for the US under FDR after Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. However, the troubling aspect to this is that the Japanese code had been broken long before the attack and was used to score a big victory at Midway. So did FDR really know about the attack? If so, why not?

And lastly, LBJ made up some fictitious story about the US being attacked by Vietnam at see that was unprovoked, but by this time they stopped declaring war and just went about it without a vote instead.

President Wilson was able to rally the US to war after the sinking of the Lusitania, a boat that reportedly only had civilians on board and sunk by German U boats. However, upon dives it was discovered to have been loaded with war supplies and ammo. President Wilson was already at war prior to the declaration of war obtained after people thought the sinking was unjustified.

World War 2 started for the US under FDR after Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. However, the troubling aspect to this is that the Japanese code had been broken long before the attack and was used to score a big victory at Midway. So did FDR really know about the attack? If so, why not?

And lastly, LBJ made up some fictitious story about the US being attacked by Vietnam at see that was unprovoked, but by this time they stopped declaring war and just went about it without a vote instead.
Partisanshitheads make it all possible.

No constitutional war since WWII.

Fweedumb.

Watching My Students Turn Into Soldiers of Empire
Watching My Students Turn Into Soldiers of Empire

In truth, though, it matters remarkably little which stateside or overseas base one first reports to. Within a year or two, most young lieutenants in today’s Army will serve in any number of diverse “contingency” deployments overseas. Some will indeed be in America’s mostly unsanctioned wars abroad, while others will straddle the line between combat and training in, say, “advise-and-assist” missions in Africa.

Last edited:

Korea and Vietnam were both out of fear of the communists. I remember one of the Presidents on tv, holding a pointer and explaining the Domino Theory on the map as if he were a school teacher. I think it was LBJ.
You're a fruitcake if you actually believe the "progressives" are the ones to "blame" for all our wars. It's bigger than one party, for one thing, and for another thing, it is usually the military and the militarily inclined who are attracted to the Republican side. That's just a fact. Stop trying to make EVERYTHING a matter of left vs. right. It really ruins your credibility.

FDR knew the Japanese were going to attack Pearl.....???!!!!!!!!!!! insanity

1. they knew the SPECIFIC location of the attack for Midway--which was Midway
-a. we were AT WAR in 1942!! not 1941
---b. since we were AT WAR 1942, we were on a WAR footing--with dawn and dusk patrols/recon/ready/etc--unlike 1941
2. they did not know they were going to attack Pearl--plain and simple

FDR knew the Japanese were going to attack Pearl.....???!!!!!!!!!!! insanity

1. they knew the SPECIFIC location of the attack for Midway--which was Midway
-a. we were AT WAR in 1942!! not 1941
---b. since we were AT WAR 1942, we were on a WAR footing--with dawn and dusk patrols/recon/ready/etc--unlike 1941
2. they did not know they were going to attack Pearl--plain and simple
So you expect me to believe that between December of 1941 and June 1942, which is a little over half a year, the US miraculously broke the Japanese code?

This is just fantasy.

So did FDR really know about the attack? If so, why not?

You know that is a very good question and it was first asked by those that had been in the Philippines before Pearl Harbor. I think it went down like, "How the hell did you not know?"

Of course now it's relegated to conspiracy theory and there are enough multiple incidents of bungled crap that occurred during WWII that lend credence to the yes-he really could be that ignorant theory.

You know that is a very good question and it was first asked by those that had been in the Philippines before Pearl Harbor. I think it went down like, "How the hell did you not know?"

Of course now it's relegated to conspiracy theory and there are enough multiple incidents of bungled crap that occurred during WWII that lend credence to the yes-he really could be that ignorant theory.
FDR and the US govt. had been warned that attack was likely, if not imminent. But there were no specifics..and the memo was couched in terms of stand ready..it's coming..but we don't know where or when, but soon.

Pearl Harbour memo shows US warned of Japanese attack

In fact...we were looking for the Jap fleet...and scouting..but in the wrong direction.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/hist...-pearl-harbor-it-was-looking-wrong-direction/

All in all..it was a massive failure in perception...no one really thought it was going to happen---in the way that it did.

FDR and the US govt. had been warned that attack was likely, if not imminent. But there were no specifics..and the memo was couched in terms of stand ready..it's coming..but we don't know where or when, but soon.

Pearl Harbour memo shows US warned of Japanese attack

In fact...we were looking for the Jap fleet...and scouting..but in the wrong direction.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/hist...-pearl-harbor-it-was-looking-wrong-direction/

All in all..it was a massive failure in perception...no one really thought it was going to happen---in the way that it did.

Well, nobody that was controlling crap appears to have recognized it but from the accounts of those in the Philippines they did know.

Korea and Vietnam were both out of fear of the communists. I remember one of the Presidents on tv, holding a pointer and explaining the Domino Theory on the map as if he were a school teacher. I think it was LBJ.
You're a fruitcake if you actually believe the "progressives" are the ones to "blame" for all our wars. It's bigger than one party, for one thing, and for another thing, it is usually the military and the militarily inclined who are attracted to the Republican side. That's just a fact. Stop trying to make EVERYTHING a matter of left vs. right. It really ruins your credibility.
What credibility?

I wonder if there were any Marines who didn't have a doubt about the purpose of taking a smelly island in the Pacific in Feb. 1945 that had been fortified by the Japanese for about forty years and could have been bypassed. We lost about 6,000 Marines in a month on Iwo Jima and not one of the survivors ever went to the Christian Science Monitor and whined about "the moral purpose" of it all. I guess they make'em different today.

Forum List

Back