For those who think only liberals want their BS in the classroom

Discussion in 'Education' started by Father Time, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Father Time

Father Time I'll be Still Alive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    E TEXAS TEXTBOOK TUSSLE, CONT'D.... Over the last several months, the Monthly has been keeping an eye on the Texas Board of Education, which has been working on a social studies curricula steeped in conservative Republican ideology. It's a rather remarkable story: board members -- 10 Republicans to 5 Democrats -- have recommended downplaying the contributions of civil rights leaders, minimizing an "emphasis on multiculturalism," and trying to "exonerate" Joe McCarthy.

The first draft of the standards mandated that Texans be taught to "identify significant conservative advocacy organizations and individuals" -- with no comparable progressive leaders or groups.

The ridiculous crusade continues apace.

The conservative bloc on the Texas State Board of Education won a string of victories Friday, obtaining approval for an amendment requiring high school U.S. history students to know about Phyllis Schlafly and the Contract with America as well as inserting a clause that aims to justify McCarthyism.

Outspoken conservative board member Don McLeroy, who reportedly spent over three hours personally proposing changes to the textbook standards, even wanted to cut "hip-hop" in favor of "country" in a section about the impact of cultural movements. That amendment failed.

The board also voted to delay further debate on the nationally influential standards until March, with a final adoption vote now scheduled for May.

The Washington Monthly

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,052
    That right there is enough to reject this as idiocy. McCarthyism still rates as one of the blackest times in our history. Defending that period is something that immediately identifies you as a crank in my mind.

3. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    What complete bullshit. As it turns out, McCarthy was exactly right.

4. Father Time

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    BS. Not all of his wild accusations have been proven to be right.

Although in any case he didn't cough up any evidence to support his multitude of accusations so the man was freakin scum.

Even if it turned out that some of his random claims turned out to be true that doesn't excuse his recklessness.

5. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    "Evans, the director of the National Journalism Center who is writing his own book on Senator Joseph McCarthy, said one of the most notorious myths is that the Wisconsin Senator never named any names of suspected communists in government. Holding up a file of material, Evans said, “Here are the names. Right here. Anybody who wants to can look at them.” He produced a letter that McCarthy sent to Senator Millard Tydings in 1950 in which he listed the names. The original list, which included numbers of cases and not names, was obtained by McCarthy after it was put together by congressional staffers. It was drawn from the files of the State Department itself. But McCarthy provided the cases to Tydings with the names attached. Critics have said over the years that the list was either outdated, blown out of proportion, that the individuals named were cleared by congressional committees, or that they were just mildly leftist. But none of that was true. Evans quoted from some of them: “...he furnished material to a known Soviet espionage agent…” and “...He is a known Communist Party member.” Evans said the biggest piece of disinformation was that these cases had been cleared by congressional hearings. This was false. The chairman of one committee said the information showed “a large number of communists on the rolls of the State Department.” He added, “It makes me wonder if there is any representation of the United States in the State Department.”

Joe McCarthy Was Right

6. Father Time

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
  7. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    "I got an e-mail from a disgruntled listener recently. He was a Californian who was disturbed at my diatribe about liberal indoctrination of our kids at school. He said he thought he was listening to Joe McCarthy. Ironically, I received that e-mail the day the story broke about a Colorado high school teacher caught on tape bashing Bush, America, capitalism and democracies, in general. Jay Bennish is supposedly a geography teacher. Instead of teaching his students to locate countries on the map, he launches into harangues of hatred against the evil empire – the United States of America. Unfortunately for him, one of his students caught it all on tape.

My e-mailer told me I was a reactionary. That's what they love to call those of us sounding the alarm. He suggested I apologize for saying there was a concerted effort on the part of some educators to influence and indoctrinate our kids – brainwash them, if you will. Before I could respond, the taped teacher story was all over talk radio.

It's not so much that this teacher was criticizing President Bush in a school environment. Although it was probably inappropriate in this setting, criticism of our elected officials is often necessary. What was really troublesome about this particular teacher was his decidedly anti-American rhetoric. It wasn't that he hated the president; he hated everything this country stands for."

"Everything about capitalism and democracy is evil to people like Bennish, and too many of them have the ears of our kids. We, according to these America haters, are the force of evil in the world. He even suggested that it would be justifiable for countries to invade North Carolina and firebomb the tobacco crops since we were destroying the coca crop in Columbia. I'm not making this up."

"Mr. Bennish was suspended from teaching pending a hearing on his conduct. He has hired a lawyer who argues his First Amendment rights were violated. He actually maintains this teacher has the right to say anything he wants to in class, even if it has nothing to do with his job or the subject he's teaching. Ironic, isn't it. Jay Bennish is now hiding behind the Constitution from the very country he loathes."

Was McCarthy Right?

Dr, heal thyself.

8. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,964
    Every time I think the right has gotten as loony as it can possibly be, they surprise me and prove they are even more loony.

It takes a lot of energy to see "boogeymen" at every corner. I tried to figure out why these people think the government would be interested in what they are doing or thinking, then it hit me. These people think they are made in the image of some Gawd, so, in a way, they are a kind of Gawd themselves. That means, they think they are somehow relevant or important. So strangers must be "interested" in what they do or think.

The truth is, no one cares.

Please keep mysticism and the occult out of public schools. No prayers to spooks. No occult texts. Just stick to the basics

9. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    What a crock of shit.! Where do you get these ignorant opinions? McCarthy was a deranged grandstanding fear mongering bigot. You clearly do not know what you are talking about. I am wondering how old you are. It is obvious you did not experience the time of which you refer. I am also curious who is feeding you these lies about one of the most destructive movements against free speach in our countries history.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  10. Father Time

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    So we have one teacher preaching liberalism and anti-capitalism vs. a school board who wants to inject conservative BS into the school curriculum of an entire state (a very large one at that).

Clearly these two cases are entirely equal and their wrongness cancels each other out.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh and your article didn't even suggest that Mccarthy's accusations against individuals were accurate.