For those who have travelled with kids less than 2...

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I need your advice.

I am travelling to Phoenix in 2 weeks, with my son, who is going to be 14 months when we leave. I may be travelling without my hubby due to his company being VERY busy, but that is not a big problem.

I know to take toys, snacks, general stuff. But I have heard of parents giving younger children small amounts of Benadryl to help them sleep through the plane trip. We will be in the air about 3.5 hours, and it is a non stop flight. I know I should call my Ped, but I want to know from people who have experienced travelling with a child that age. Plus, with the pressure issue, what can I do about my son's ears? They are already sensitive (hereditary).

We will be flying during his naptime, but there is going to be so much excitement, there is NO WAY he will sleep willingly.

Is Benadryl ok, or would Tylenol be better? Or none at all, just deal with whatever happens?

Thanks for your input.

Sir Evil said:
Fuzzy, I would seriously consider no input other then your Doctors!

True, but some people have hands on experience that doctors don't. I would go with both, to be extra careful.

Fuzzy

We have traveled with our two young sons since they were infants (they are now 3 and 4). You have to be careful with benadryl as it causes hyperactivity in some children. I think it is relatively safe though. We picked up a small battery driven dvd player and plugged them into Baby Einsten or Baby Mozart or one of many other educational dvds. That seems to buy some time if they get restless. At 14 months I suspect your baby will probably do a lot of sleeping. Did you buy a seat for your child or will he sit in your lap? Our experience is putting them in their carseat and strapping them into a seat seems to work best for us, 31/2 hours is a long time to have them in your lap. Also keep some liquid handy for them to sip on especially at takeoff and landing to help them with their ears.

I took Payton and Joshua on a plane when they were 6 months old. I was worried!! LOL! I made our reservations to have a stop over close to the house in case I needed to rent a car and drive our butts back home, LOL! They did soooo good. They stared out the windows, no crying. Of course they had a bottle for the air pressure. Does your son have a binky, paci, what ever they're called now, LOL! That would help with the air pressure. I never gave them meds., I would do what Evil suggested if you plan to give him any. They might have something better for you to use.
Toys and snacks, yeah, don't forget that. Also, a change of clothes on the plane if he's messy, like mine, LOL! A wet rag could come in handy.
Hey, just remembered, I was a member on a twins board and I know we had plenty of threads about traveling with babies, I'll look and if I find something that may be useful, I'll pass it along!
Good luck!!!

I agree with Remie! Both Benedryl and Codeine make me feel like I've taken speed (never have tried it, but from what I've heard). Took Codeine a couple of months back and didn't sleep for 3 nights straight! Got rid of that in a hurry!

You might want to wait to feed them on the plane-- most babies begin to cry on an airplane during ascent and descent due to the change in pressure that hurts their ears (they don't know how to pop theirs). I actually tried not popping my ears going up on plane once-- not pleasant. Anyway, if the baby is sucking on a bottle going up and down the swallowing action will pop his/her ears, and hopefully no crying will ensue :D

A quote from Family Guy:

As a man boards the plane and sits in the seat in front of the baby, Stewie:

Guy: Oh great, I always get seated next to a damn baby!
Stewie: WHAT!? What did you say!?
Lois: Stewie stop fussing!
Stewie: (to Lois) Not now Lois. (to Guy) Hey big man! (Guy turns around; Stewie bitch slaps him) if you got something to say, say it to my face. Oh, you can't hear me now!? That's it. I was gonna watch the movie but now (pulls his hair back) for the next five hours, you're my bitch! WAH!! (kicking his seat) WAHH!! My ears are popping and there's no way to console me. I'm hungry and possibly teething. Maybe I'm wet! But who knows!? I'm a baby! WAH!! (keeps repeatedly kicking his seat) WAH!!

I have also talked to my aunt who's an RN, and also several other parents, and they all say the stuff you guys posted, so, I think I may TRY a shot of benadryl at home, and see what happens. I know he gets sleepy after tylenol, so I know I can rely on that if benadryl doesn't work.

I am bringing my laptop that has a DVD player in it, and I will be bringing a few DVD's for him. He LOVES baby Einstein. I play those if I am home, and my hubby isn't, and I want to get some housework done, so he's distracted.

He uses a nuk occasionally, mostly at night and naptime. I will be getting a few extra in case we lose some.

I am going to be holding him, which was the original intent when we thought my hubby was going with because we could not afford to buy another ticket (even at 1/2 price) for him. But since we already bought a ticket for hubby, and he may not be able to go, and if no one else buys a ticket at the check-in, I may be able to put him in the seat, in his car seat.

I have no problem holding him if I have to. He's pretty easy to entertain. Plus I got a window seat, so we can look out the window, which is what he loves to do in the car.

Forum List

Back