For those who can remember

I think we are past that level of stupidity now. We have seen it too often already, and it gets smaller each time.

Nothing can top the circus around Valentino.

That is a good point, I don't remember anyone joking about John Lennon being killed.

Not sure it counts a "Lennon" joke, but I seem to remember a punchline something like -- Only 3 bullets away from a Beatles reunion.

I wasn't a fan of Elvis, Lennon or Jackson. Didn't hate them, just didn't care one way or the other.
I've always been amazed at the global hysteria when someone like this dies. My wife still cries about Princess Diana and I just shake my head in wonderment.

Although, having just turned 50 myself on May 27th, I'm getting a little worried about all these 50 y/o's dieing.

Last edited:
That is a good point, I don't remember anyone joking about John Lennon being killed.

The general feeling was sadness.
I'm betting the jokes will be more about what he did than the fact that he died. I try not wish death on anyone...I do make exceptions for radical terrorists. I try not to find glee in the aftermath of someone's death, but I do make exceptions for perps that get killed trying to harm innocent people.

Michael probably died as a result of prescription drugs...too many of them. However, the outcome of the second autopsy will have little effect on the fact that he is dead. It may put the settlement of his estate in limbo, but I don't see that that will affect me in any significant way.

Bed time at Neverland...when the big hand touches the little hand!

i dont think anyone can argue that MJ wasnt good @ what he did (at least up until the Bad album) but one can in no way compare thriller to imagine. and i dont even like john lennon.... john lennon was a songwriter........mj was an entertainer. i think that would be the big difference........lennon had meaning while the other was just show?

I can see feeling a sense of loss, or even a bit of sadness when someone famous dies.. A lot of people we'll never meet somehow touch our lives..

But...why actually *cry* over someone you have absolutely NO actual connection with whatsoever?

I've seen people go in to hysterics when some artist/star dies, and they don't bat an eyelash when the dog they had for 25 years dies... What the hell?

i think with john lennon, the ones that followed him knew what a loving, peaceful man he was....this made the murder of him, sadder than most celebrities just dying young from prescription drugs....perhaps they are tears of anger or of asking why...not just the sadness?

gee...I don't know. It's hard to say. I know that Elvis and Lennon never got Jesse Jackson to show up on CNN or Larry King Live for them. Elizabeth Taylor probably was very saddened by Elvis's death, but she just absolutely adored Jackson and his little monkey.

i still say it was a bigger deal with elvis and i was just a kid, but 10 years later, it was still a big deal with elvis...the king of rock n roll...

lennon brought the most sadness with me personally, though.

The 80s and 70s didn't have the net and cable TV, you didn't get the saturation effect you got with MJ.

Lennon's death was more profund, as he was not a nut or a child molester and was genrally a nice guy to people.

I don't really recall how it was for Elvis, I don't remmeber it being a big deal outside of people who were his fans.
Yeah, what he said.

I'm betting the jokes will be more about what he did than the fact that he died. I try not wish death on anyone...I do make exceptions for radical terrorists. I try not to find glee in the aftermath of someone's death, but I do make exceptions for perps that get killed trying to harm innocent people.

Michael probably died as a result of prescription drugs...too many of them. However, the outcome of the second autopsy will have little effect on the fact that he is dead. It may put the settlement of his estate in limbo, but I don't see that that will affect me in any significant way.

Bed time at Neverland...when the big hand touches the little hand!

While married to Lisa Marie, Michael once said, on stage, that he feared he would end up like Elvis. He apparently has, because investigators are now looking at his doctor.

If I had been alive when Lennon died, I would've been pretty hysteric.

This guy... not so much. All I can think about when I see Micheal Jackson now is "Dude... How the fuck did you turn out like that?" I mean, the guy was a freak. He had some great tunes, but Jesus...

Forum List

Back