For those of you who think too much government spending goes to welfare...

So the 10th amendment and enumeration of powers means nothing, eh?

Why not just have made the constitution 1 line long?

"The federal government has the right to do anything it sees fit as determined by them to meet the interest of the common public good."

and have done with it?

Oh that's right. It's precisely what we rebelled against! Fucking dumbass.

There is no education, welfare, health care OR social services clause in that section you link.

Sure there is.
You twit. By that definition, if I am made happy by the government giving me a ferarri and a mansion, it is their responsibility to do so if by giving me anything less makes me unhappy.

What kind of fucked up co-dependent fucktardery are you pimping here?

Use the whole explanation instead of parsing out what you want it to mean.

Welfare
welfare n. 1. health, happiness, or prosperity; well-being. [<ME wel faren, to fare well] Source: AHD
Welfare in today's context also means organized efforts on the part of public or private organizations to benefit the poor, or simply public assistance. This is not the meaning of the word as used in the Constitution.

That means your perversion of the term 'welfare' to mean government can do anything is NOT how the founding fathers intended it to be used.

They also seem to forget the rest of the sentence... which taken in whole is about the welfare of the United States... AKA the UNION... not individuals... and it's precisely because of such ignorance that we have had the bastardization and ignoring of the Constitution

Doesn't it kind of freak you out that there is more spending on pensions than education, defense or welfare?

Doesn't it bother you more that our government and people have become so corrupt that 3 of those 4 categories are completely unconstitutional for the Federal government to be involved in and the people arent up in arms about it?

What makes the constitution so sacred? I really don't understand it. The Founding Fathers - as smart as they were - didn't have it all figured out. I mean how could they? How could they predict how American society has evolved over the centuries?

Heck, they didn't even have running water or flush toilets in their houses and we're supposed to take their word as gospel?

Fuck that!

You people (and by 'you people' I mean both Democrats and Republicans) are responsible for the lack of funds for welfare. If you would stop electing thieves into our congress, we would have the money (paid in by taxpayers) to support those taxpayers.... as was promised to them.

It seriously pisses me off that none of you will accept responsibility for your actions and lie about each other instead.

Stop electing corrupt assholes. Take some fucking responsibility for your actions.

You people (and by 'you people' I mean both Democrats and Republicans) are responsible for the lack of funds for welfare. If you would stop electing thieves into our congress, we would have the money (paid in by taxpayers) to support those taxpayers.... as was promised to them.

It seriously pisses me off that none of you will accept responsibility for your actions and lie about each other instead.

Stop electing corrupt assholes. Take some fucking responsibility for your actions.

So when was the last time you flogged yourself for a vote? Or do you always vote for saints?

So when was the last time you flogged yourself for a vote? Or do you always vote for saints?

I try not to vote for 'saint's or 'sinners' but.... for reasons best known to myself, I tend to vote for honest people. And if they disappoint me, I don't vote for them again.

I am sick of idiots blaming the other side when the reality is that both parties are corrupt.

What makes the constitution so sacred? I really don't understand it. The Founding Fathers - as smart as they were - didn't have it all figured out. I mean how could they? How could they predict how American society has evolved over the centuries?

Absolutely nothing if we ignore it.

But personally, I like freedom. I appreciate the fact that our Founders, using the knowledge and experience of thousands of years of human history, organized, what is still, the most perfect form of government revealed to man. I like the fact that they used this knowledge to ensure that power was invested in and around the people rather than in a central bureaucracy. I like the fact that they realize that human nature does not change and recognized the need to check human nature by separating power and localizing it.

See they realized something that far too many people ignore today: That human nature has not and will not change. At least, in our fallen state. So there must be safeguards enacted to prevent tyrants, dictators, and totalitarians from overrunning the people's freedom.

They realized that in order for people to reach their fullest potential, they have to be free to govern themselves. They need government to stay out of their way and allow them the freedom to fulfiill their responsibilities. Otherwise people suffer more than they need to.

If you don't understand what's amazing about the US Constitution than you either don't understand human nature or you don't understand the Constitution. I recommend studying both.

There's so much all-or-nothing thinking on this board, isn't there? You just automatically assume I hate freedom and the constitution. Where do you get off? I actually respect and admire the constitution a great deal.

However...

We NEED gov agencies like the EPA, TSA, FAA, FDA etc. Can you imagine what would happen if corporations could do whatever the hell they wanted? It's horrific to think about.

No, we do not need any of the government alphabet soup you have listed, or any others that have sprung into being due to government fear-mongering. What you imagine might happen without them is pure conjecture driven by your imagination

Are you fucking retarded? I intentionally left the modern definition off so as not to further confuse you. I only included "welfare" as it would apply to the founders' intent.

Lay down that crack pipe and contact SCOTUS.

Why bother with enumerating the powers then if the government can simply do ANYTHING as long as they think it is in the interest of the general welfare. By that definition they can do ANYTHING. There is nothing that could not be twisted to fit in that context. Fortunately, they enumerated the powers so that the federal government was not the all powerful dictator that you want it to be. Most politicians simply like to ignore that though since all encompassing power is rather enticing...

Article I Section 8 Clause 1 grants Congress the authority to SPEND MONEY to promote the general welfare as they see fit, not to do ANYTHING they want to. There is a clear difference between the power to do ANYTHING and the power to SPEND.
The authority to spend money does not grant one the authority to do anything. This is common sense. Someone who is very rich can get a lot done just by spending money, but under the law, they can't do ANYTHING they want to. Donald Trump can do a lot with money but he can't appoint himself President, he can't legally have someone killed, he can't force everyone to eat beets. He can't even legally provide services that the Post Office provides without the permission of Congress, or legally coin money.

Article I Section 8 Clause 1 grants SPENDING authority, not REGULATORY authority. If Congress decides, for instance, it promotes the general welfare if everyone eats 4 servings of vegetables a day, they are allowed under Article I Section 8 Clause 1 to spend money to promote the idea of eating vegetables - but they are NOT allowed to pass laws requiring people eat a certain amount of vegetables or be penalized. Do you understand the difference between spending authority and regulatory authority?
a distinction without a difference. The point is that this power is not designed to let the federal government to go hog wild.

Spending for the public welfare is STILL LIMITED STRICTLY TO THE ENUMERATED POWERS. The 10th amendment allows states to do anything that is not SPECIFICALLY enumerated as the purview of the federal government, and forbids the feds from doing it.

The liberals have been doing an end run on this since the great depression because it fits their needs to avoid and destroy the impediment a limited government creates on their power grab.

the public has figured out it can vote itself goodies from the public coffers. No free nation can stand up to that greed for too long. It is the guaranteed death of all republics and free societies lest the public be rebuked and bound from the public coffers again for their own personal gain.

Why work, when you can steal from the public money by a mere vote?

What freaks me out the most is that there is 15% on education--but school are funded LOCALLY!!

Is the education part grants to colleges? Something is just not right with that picture.

By the way.

Healthcare and welfare are not the same. We can reform the welfare system by including work for pay provisions. You can't do that with healthcare since a large portion of the people using the HC may already have jobs, or retired, or are disabled.

It is an important division between social programs.

Last edited:
United States Total Spending Pie Chart for 2012 - Charts

Health Care: 18%

Pensions: 16%

Defense: 15%

Education: 15%

Welfare: 11%

You have a lot of statistics that are missing. SSI, which many are using to get entire families of kids on for so-called disabilities, grants to states where the money is hidden in various other budgets in various agencies, and earmarks posted on just about every bill passed in Congress. In the Defense budget alone, a large piece of expenditures go to bases in parts of the world that exist because the government currying favor with foreign governments, not because the military brass wants them. I could go on more and more about expenditures not related directly to defence of this nation that are hidden within the military budget that is there because of pressure from Congress and the President.

Defense needs to be cut, for sure, as with pensions, education, and health. But, welfare should be returned to those that do charity best, or so they claim...the churches, synagogues, and temples.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPngqDZpVcw]Cynthia McKinney Economic planks - Green Party Presidential candidate - YouTube[/ame]

You have a lot of statistics that are missing. SSI, which many are using to get entire families of kids on for so-called disabilities, grants to states where the money is hidden in various other budgets in various agencies, and earmarks posted on just about every bill passed in Congress. In the Defense budget alone, a large piece of expenditures go to bases in parts of the world that exist because the government currying favor with foreign governments, not because the military brass wants them. I could go on more and more about expenditures not related directly to defence of this nation that are hidden within the military budget that is there because of pressure from Congress and the President.

Defense needs to be cut, for sure, as with pensions, education, and health. But, welfare should be returned to those that do charity best, or so they claim...the churches, synagogues, and temples.

Concerning "returning welfare to the religious sector"

Can the religious sector deny providing to anyone due to not being apart of criticizing the religious group that is providing the aid?

What freaks me out the most is that there is 15% on education--but school are funded LOCALLY!!

Is the education part grants to colleges? Something is just not right with that picture.

By the way.

Healthcare and welfare are not the same. We can reform the welfare system by including work for pay provisions. You can't do that with healthcare since a large portion of the people using the HC may already have jobs, or retired, or are disabled.

It is an important division between social programs.
Reform one unconstitutional set of programs and ignore the other unconstitutional set? Why not eliminate both, and let states decide individually what they want to do in this department AS IS CONSTITUTIONALLY ACCEPTABLE??? And of course, banning federal assistance to states who get into hot water monetarily over their bad social welfare hammocks.

I tell you this much, I'll be leaving those states that do such stupidity.

Healthcare is part of welfare, that makes it 29%.
Last I looked that isn't what the founders and writers of the constitution saw as government responsibility.

Yeah..like those founding fathers had an opinion on the health care crisis back in the 1700's. Back when the solution to a musket ball to the leg was a fifth of whiskey, a rusty and bloody pair of pliers and a stick to bite on... yep... it was real simple back then. Get the fucker drunk, have him bite down on the stick and rip the musket ball out...wrap it in a rag and hope like hell infection didn't happen... because if it did... that other venerable solution was at the ready... whiskey, stick and bone saw.

But keep talking about the founding fathers like they were demigods...

Doesn't it bother you more that our government and people have become so corrupt that 3 of those 4 categories are completely unconstitutional for the Federal government to be involved in and the people arent up in arms about it?

You're a public school kid, aren't you? I doubt a private school would let you get away with being so fucking ignorant. Athlete too I bet.

With such disdain for the founding fathers, and ignorance of the amendment process, you should be forced to live without the rights you have as an American Citizen for half a decade or so. That way when you return to the land of the free and home of the brave, assuming you don't enjoy living in either Cuba, North Korea or Venezuela, some place that is more amenable to your political philosophy, you can appreciate them better or stay out of those of us who love individual liberty's hair.

You do realize that with the knowledge base that the Founding Fathers had to draw from, that a High School Graduate would have twice the knowledge that the Founding Fathers had, right?

Last I looked that isn't what the founders and writers of the constitution saw as government responsibility.

Yeah..like those founding fathers had an opinion on the health care crisis back in the 1700's. Back when the solution to a musket ball to the leg was a fifth of whiskey, a rusty and bloody pair of pliers and a stick to bite on... yep... it was real simple back then. Get the fucker drunk, have him bite down on the stick and rip the musket ball out...wrap it in a rag and hope like hell infection didn't happen... because if it did... that other venerable solution was at the ready... whiskey, stick and bone saw.

Which is why the AMENDMENT process is in the constitution.... but funny, when your all mighty government wants power in things like buying votes by giving entitlements at the expense of others, they don't go thru the process, they just grab....

Which is why the AMENDMENT process is in the constitution.... but funny, when your all mighty government wants power in things like buying votes by giving entitlements at the expense of others, they don't go thru the process, they just grab....

So... according to you, an AMENDMENT is needed for every dollar spent that you don't agree with.

Forum List

Back