For the (politically active) atheists

OK, I will spell it out for you: Atheism believes that Man is the highest form of intelligence in the Universe, as opposed to most other religions which believe one or more nonhuman beings (gods) are superior to Man. In either case, morality is judged by how closely it adheres to the benefit or desires of that higher form of intelligence.

Before starting your tirade, answer this question: If Man is NOT the highest form of intelligence in the Universe, who or what is? Don't tell me you don't know; that is the position of the Agnostic, not the Atheist.

Man is the highest form of intelligence on earth. Dummy.

"If man is not the highest form of intelligence in the Universe, who or what is?"

Good grief, can't any of you read? JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION.

What are you? 8 years old?

Good christian that you are, you know you hold an indefensible position so you're looking to fight and insult others.

Pfft.

OK, I will spell it out for you: Atheism believes that Man is the highest form of intelligence in the Universe, as opposed to most other religions which believe one or more nonhuman beings (gods) are superior to Man. In either case, morality is judged by how closely it adheres to the benefit or desires of that higher form of intelligence.

Before starting your tirade, answer this question: If Man is NOT the highest form of intelligence in the Universe, who or what is? Don't tell me you don't know; that is the position of the Agnostic, not the Atheist.

Atheism does not inherently believe that Man is the highest form of intelligence in the Universe. Think outside the Bible or any other man-made religion. There are likely many forms of higher intelligence throughout the Universe. Is there some "Supreme" entity that made it all? I don't know, but I do know it has nothing to do with the Bible or any man-made religions.

I'm an Atheist regarding the Bible and any man-made religions. However, thinking outside the Bible and any man-made religions - I don't know - but that does not make me an Agnostic, because Agnosticism relates to being unsure about the existence of God or a god. And of that I am not unsure.

...Atheism doesn't believe that man is the highest form of intelligence in the universe.
It believes that man is the highest form of intelligence on Earth.

...so does almost every other religion. You really don't want to answer the question, do you? That is called INTELLECTUAL DISHONESTY. On the off chance that you are merely dyslexic, I will reframe the the question: Do you believe that there is a higher form of intelligence than man in the universe?

Anticipating that you will again refuse to answer, I will explain why I ask this question: Omnipotence or omniscience is simply a shorthand reference to any intelligence greater than our own. By definition, we would be unable to distinguish between intelligences that were 1,000 time greater than ours and those that were 1,000,000 time greater than ours. Either of those intelligences would properly be regarded as "gods" within our human context. In addition, religions do not have to believe in a single supreme being. Many religions believe in a multiplicity of gods: Their only qualification is that they possess superior intelligence to that of man.

Are you starting to get it? Atheism believes that man is the highest (known) form of intelligence in the universe, i.e., a god in relationship to all other beings. As a result, it is as much a religion as any other belief system. If you allow for the possibility of a higher intelligence intelligence in the universe, but don't know or can't describe it, then you are an Agnostic. However, agnostics are not offended by the religious beliefs of others. In the U.S., only Atheists (and a few other religious zealots) seem to be offended by the existence of other belief systems. Unfortunately, that have been able exempt themselves from the restrictions they actively place on other religions.

...so does almost every other religion. You really don't want to answer the question, do you? That is called INTELLECTUAL DISHONESTY. On the off chance that you are merely dyslexic, I will reframe the the question: Do you believe that there is a higher form of intelligence than man in the universe?

No, I do. Let me try and reframe my answer as well.
As I said, atheists simply believe man is the highest form of intelligence on Earth. It does not discount the possibility of higher intelligence out there, but what defines higher intelligence? Would it be, say, an alien civilization that has interstellar travel? Perhaps a civilization that bypassed the laws of physics and achieved faster-than-light travel?

If that is higher intelligence and not simply more advanced intelligence (there is a difference, like how European settlers were more advanced than Native Americans), then yes, there is a possibility.

Anticipating that you will again refuse to answer, I will explain why I ask this question: Omnipotence or omniscience is simply a shorthand reference to any intelligence greater than our own. By definition, we would be unable to distinguish between intelligences that were 1,000 time greater than ours and those that were 1,000,000 time greater than ours. Either of those intelligences would properly be regarded as "gods" within our human context. In addition, religions do not have to believe in a single supreme being. Many religions believe in a multiplicity of gods: Their only qualification is that they possess superior intelligence to that of man.

Are you certain of that? If an extraterrestrial being or beings showed up with an intelligence even a thousand times greater than our own, do you think they would be viewed as godlike? I don't think so. Far more advanced, yes, possibly even able to do things with their minds we are not capable of, but not godlike.

But this is moving into the realm of science fiction.

Are you starting to get it? Atheism believes that man is the highest (known) form of intelligence in the universe, i.e., a god in relationship to all other beings. As a result, it is as much a religion as any other belief system. If you allow for the possibility of a higher intelligence intelligence in the universe, but don't know or can't describe it, then you are an Agnostic. However, agnostics are not offended by the religious beliefs of others. In the U.S., only Atheists (and a few other religious zealots) seem to be offended by the existence of other belief systems. Unfortunately, that have been able exempt themselves from the restrictions they actively place on other religions.

I can't speak for other atheists, but I'm not offended by other religions. That may be a result of my upbringing, but 20 years of religious indoctrination simply doesn't go away.

But I guess you could be right in a way. Atheism could be defined as "The religion of a lack of religion."

I hope that answered the question you proposed.

Dolphins, So Long and Thanks for all the Fish. Douglas Adams.
And Mice

Glensather:

I appreciate your response, even if slightly deflective. (I am interested in what atheists believe about the possibility of higher intelligence rather than what they don't believe.) As for your example of "extraterrestrial" beings not being considered godlike, I would cite the Spanish conquistadors who were initially encountered by the native peoples in the Western Hemisphere. They didn't need to be 1,000 times as intelligent as the natives in order to be considered gods.

You actually sound like a fellow agnostic, who does not discount the possibility of something greater than ourselves. My issue is with those atheists who consider any belief but their own to be nothing more than ignorant superstition which is to be scorned and eradicated from public life.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back