For The Hurricane Katrina Homeless - Just An Idea

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by GotZoom, Aug 31, 2005.

1. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    How about a couple of Cruise Lines donating some older ships to stick off shore - shuttle people out to them. Food, showers, bed, etc.

2. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Good idea. Looks like America was more worried about the tsunami victims than the residents of New Orleans.

3. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    I thought about that when I read Steph's thread about "where is the rest of the world when we have a castrastrophe."

It was recognized in the German press yesterday - stating it was payback and a warning about our laziness when it comes to Global Warming.

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,372179,00.html

Katrina Should be A Lesson To US on Global Warming

Seems like everything is President Bush's fault. One day after Katrina hammered the Gulf Coast, German commentators are laying into the US for its stubborn attitude to global warming and Kyoto.

Hurricane Katrina is big news for German commentators, whatever their ilk. For some, the powerful storm which slammed the Gulf Coast on Monday, is a symbol of the sort of environmental terrors awaiting the world thanks to global warming and proof positive that America needs to quickly reverse its policy of playing down climate change. For the more conservative, it is simply another regrettable natural catastrophe.

(rest of story at link)

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I wonder if the countries who donated in help of the Tsunami last Xmas will pitch in?

Also, I wonder if something like this will help military recruiting? if it DOES I be DU and moveon will claim GWB was responsible for the hurricane...I bet they claim he had ppl set charges to blow the levies - to make things worse, all in an attempt to take the spotlight off the war.

5. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

...and Yet Germany will NOT establish speedlimits on some Autobahns - seen by the rest of the world as not doing their part to control fuel useage and emissions.

Krauts can be assheads at times ;)

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    In the scheme of the 'world' the US is pretty 'conservative.' We can and do 'take care of our own.' I posted the links to charities yesterday.

GW had made declaration day prior to hurricane hitting, allowing for the forward deployment of FEMA aid.

Here's a post from yesterday morning about some of what the government is doing. Links at site:

http://www.mudvillegazette.com/archives/003462.html

7. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    I almost hate to admit this, but, this morning on one of the radio stations, they were talking about all the relief efforts, donations, etc.

Someone called in and said, "I wonder if the NFL will move the Saints to Memphis to play their games while they are fixing the Superdome. They have to play somewhere and the Titans played here for a couple of years before moving to Nashville."

The DJs all said he was kind of cold thinking about the NFL games.

The caller replied, "I live up here, what happened down there doesn't effect me, unless it is something good like having an NFL team in Memphis for a month or so."

They hung up on him. Last I heard, they were rallying the locals to track him down and kick his ass.

8. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    It will be interesting to see what they do about the Saints.

9. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I heard the Navy is sending at least four ships (out of Norfolk), some hovercraft and possibly a hospital ship down there.

Don't expect to see any foriegn aid....in fact, I am surprised that Al Quaeda has not claimed responsibility and the rest of the world agreeing that the US deserves disasters like this.

10. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    We are lazy about the fictitious Clobal Warming scam?

It sounds like they think hurricanes are a new phenomenon. In the early half of the 1900's, there were several hurricanes that devistated many states, and yet there was no bitching about global warming.

The only reason hurricanes seem more deadly is because the NWS is now rating them like they do tornadoes. That and the media doesn't talk about anything else unless there is a scandal involving something bad about Prez Bush or any other conservative.

Global warming is a lie. The Earth is constantly changing, adjusting to different environment conditions, but it is not getting ANY WARMER. If it were, we here in MN would not worry about 'winterizing' our cars, no need for ice scrapers, and insurance claims for winter snow related accidents would be a thing of the past. This past winter, we had record sub-zero temps...how is the earth getting warmer if temps are way below zero to the point where they cancel or delay school because they don't want kids out in the weather? Last time I checked, 'warming' meant temps at least above zero. I guess I am still waiting for a MN winter that I can still wear shorts in December and can wash&wax my car in the driveway in February.

Summers here in MN have not changed since back when my dad was a kid in the 60's and 70's. He said he actually remembers summers being hotter than what we had recently, with half of July and many days in August being in the mid 90's.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1