For The Birds

Shrimpbox

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2013
Carrabelle, fl. 60 miles s of tallahassee
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/09/u...&contentCollection=Environment&pgtype=article

Before I get on the birds let me say another article in the nytimes claims the water in our waterways is getting healthier and that yes it is because of regulation. This is what I expect the EPA to do instead of using its clout to further political agendas. Congratulations.

But this bird article is exactly why I can't get on board with global warming. In my six decades on this planet I have been all over this country and on the water of the Gulf of Mexico. Supposedly the 20th century was a time of extreme global warming and climate change, and if it was than we need more of it to help,the bird pop. When I was a kid growing up in Md. And visiting the NE every summer I never saw a turkey and I lived on a farm. Today from Vermont to Florida turkey's are everywhere and expanding. There are more bald eagles. There are so many osprey that they have become a stinking nuisance bird. Brown pelicans have become ubiquitous on the gulf coast. Gulls and seabirds are so plentiful that we have to hose off the bird shit every day on the boat. I have actually pushed by catch overboard and the stuff never hit the water because the pelicans were packed so tight up against the boat. In tallahassee the Canadian geese stop traffic on six lane highways, like most Yankees they find life in the south so good that they stay here year round and never migrate. In the winter the flocks of ducks in our brackish water are so thick they look like an oil slick. The dove population is off the chain as well as the raptors that feed on them.

So this report cannot stand up to the overwhelming empirical evidence, which leads thinking people to believe that the Audubon society is just another shill for the global warming hoax. That is too bad.

Uhh.... no. The Audubon Society is well over a hundred years old-- it waaaay predates anybody's climate change theory. It's a conservation organization and it does fine work. There's no need to invent political connections. There's also no need to try to find a political angle to literally everything. That's a bit obsessive.

I hardly ever see osprey unless I hit a bird sanctuary, but there's lots of turkeys here in the Appalachian forest.

Pogo the report on the birds is based on the UN s climate change report which has been often discredited. The Audubon report also goes on to say they really don't know what is going to happen. I really don't see any reference in my article to politics. And just because an organization is old or specializes in conservation does not mean it cannot be taken over by an agenda driven cohort.

The raptor population, eagles and hawks, nearly died out in the lower 48 when we were using DDT without regulation. Same for the bluebirds in Eastern Oregon. I am 70 years old and saw all of that happen. Also, the area I am from has significantly warmed since I was a child. And, having explored the Cascades, Rockies, and Sierra Nevadas, I have seen the glaciers in each of these ranges in major recession for the past 50 years.

Pogo the report on the birds is based on the UN s climate change report which has been often discredited. The Audubon report also goes on to say they really don't know what is going to happen. I really don't see any reference in my article to politics. And just because an organization is old or specializes in conservation does not mean it cannot be taken over by an agenda driven cohort.

Ah yes, everything that scientists report is a deception. And you 'Conservatives' wonder why we consider you to be so damned stupid.

Ah yes, everything that scientists report is a deception. And you 'Conservatives' wonder why we consider you to be so damned stupid.
I'm curious as to your interpretation of scientists' evaluation of hydraulic fracturing.

I'm curious as to your interpretation of scientists' evaluation of hydraulic fracturing.

Geological Society of America - Hydraulic Fracturing Environmental Issues

The potential for contaminating groundwater due to hydraulic fracturing is an environmental risk being studied (Fig. 10) [19, 21, 22]. At present, there have been possibly two confirmed cases of groundwater contamination caused directly by the hydraulic fracturing process; in one location the fractured rock is within 420 feet of the aquifer [6, 14, 23]. One challenge is to distinguish natural contaminants that seep into groundwater unrelated to oil and gas development, from contamination due to aspects of drilling unrelated to hydraulic fracturing, and from contamination directly caused by hydraulic fracturing. There often are no water quality samples prior to hydraulic fracturing to provide a baseline comparison [6, 24, 25].

Influence of Geologic Discontinuities on Hydraulic Fracture Propagation includes associated papers 17011 and 17074 - OnePetro

USGS Release Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids Likely Harmed Threatened Kentucky Fish Species 8 28 2013 3 50 56 PM

Indiana Geological Survey

Scientists Say Oil Industry Likely Caused Largest Oklahoma Earthquake

From what I have read, as one with an interest in geology, fracking has given us a major energy source in the form of natural gas. This has not come without a price. Careless disposal of fluids has created some environmental problems. Fracking is also responsible for lubricating faults, and creating earthquakes. There are a few isolated cases of aquifer contamination.

A needed technology, with it's own dangers.

Geological Society of America - Hydraulic Fracturing Environmental Issues

The potential for contaminating groundwater due to hydraulic fracturing is an environmental risk being studied (Fig. 10) [19, 21, 22]. At present, there have been possibly two confirmed cases of groundwater contamination caused directly by the hydraulic fracturing process; in one location the fractured rock is within 420 feet of the aquifer [6, 14, 23]. One challenge is to distinguish natural contaminants that seep into groundwater unrelated to oil and gas development, from contamination due to aspects of drilling unrelated to hydraulic fracturing, and from contamination directly caused by hydraulic fracturing. There often are no water quality samples prior to hydraulic fracturing to provide a baseline comparison [6, 24, 25].

Influence of Geologic Discontinuities on Hydraulic Fracture Propagation includes associated papers 17011 and 17074 - OnePetro

USGS Release Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids Likely Harmed Threatened Kentucky Fish Species 8 28 2013 3 50 56 PM

Indiana Geological Survey

Scientists Say Oil Industry Likely Caused Largest Oklahoma Earthquake

From what I have read, as one with an interest in geology, fracking has given us a major energy source in the form of natural gas. This has not come without a price. Careless disposal of fluids has created some environmental problems. Fracking is also responsible for lubricating faults, and creating earthquakes. There are a few isolated cases of aquifer contamination.

A needed technology, with it's own dangers.
"...possibly two..." of how many tens of thousands?

And still you turn a blind eye to agriculture's rampant and wanton rape of all environment.

And the wind farm's massive slaughter of avian population. Yet you continually posit justification.

I'm not buying any of your bullshit.

Perhaps we should have a beer summit.

The UN's reports on climate change have not been discredited by anyone.

The Mr. H./ Old Rocks beer summit...

Mr. H. orders a double whiskey.

Old Rocks opts for quinine.

We embrace, fall in love, have five turkey-baster children, eventually divorce and both go on food stamps.

And both... contribute... to Obama's... economy.

You see? It's all good.

Forum List

Back