For the birds

bigrebnc1775

][][][% NC Sheepdog
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 12, 2010
Kannapolis, N.C.
Yes I am an old softy when it comes to animals, I use to feed the birds religiously but now I have a few cats around the house which aren't mine, but I do have a favorite which is a morris looking cat. He's been hanging around since his mother dropped him off at 8 weeks old, so I have been taking care of him. Anyway back to the birds. As I said I use to feed them but have stopped, because I do not like the idea of the cats having a easy target. Now I am asking for suggestions what would you do Feed the birds or not feed them.

We have two bird feeders that I was filling with songbird mix bird food. Also have a suet holder. I stopped feeding them in June because they were being piggy-pigs and emptying the feeders within a day. I figured they should eat from nature in the warm months and I'll go back to filling the feeders when it gets cold. We also have a big stray cat problem . . . crazy cat lady and others keep feeding them and the cats keep breeding. I trap them and take them to the spca. . . . bird feeders attract birds, birds attract stray cats, stray cats go into baited traps . . . one less stray cat to reproduce.

We have two bird feeders that I was filling with songbird mix bird food. Also have a suet holder. I stopped feeding them in June because they were being piggy-pigs and emptying the feeders within a day. I figured they should eat from nature in the warm months and I'll go back to filling the feeders when it gets cold. We also have a big stray cat problem . . . crazy cat lady and others keep feeding them and the cats keep breeding. I trap them and take them to the spca. . . . bird feeders attract birds, birds attract stray cats, stray cats go into baited traps . . . one less stray cat to reproduce.

No kill shelters around here do not take feral cats. As I said I have one that I try and take care of. I hate to have them put to sleep.

My wife has several bird feeders up around the yard. We also have a hummingbird feeder. We have lots of birds here including hummingbirds. Our problem is deer. The deer raid the bird feeders every night and knock them over to get the bird seed. They also somehow manage to drink all of that food-colored red sugar mixture we make to put in the hummingbird feeders. Our birds are pretty pissed at the deer but the deer don't seem to care. I'm afraid if this habit doesn't stop pretty soon our deer will begin to chirp like birds.

My wife has several bird feeders up around the yard. We also have a hummingbird feeder. We have lots of birds here including hummingbirds. Our problem is deer. The deer raid the bird feeders every night and knock them over to get the bird seed. They also somehow manage to drink all of that food-colored red sugar mixture we make to put in the hummingbird feeders. Our birds are pretty pissed at the deer but the deer don't seem to care. I'm afraid if this habit doesn't stop pretty soon our deer will begin to chirp like birds.

LOL that would be funny deers chriping like birds.

No kill shelters around here do not take feral cats. As I said I have one that I try and take care of. I hate to have them put to sleep.

Me too, they didn't do anything wrong. One of them went after a kid and scratched him. Not worth the risk, imo. So I take them to the spca. They determine if the cats are adoptable or not . . . a few have been but most, not. One cat I caught I thought was a black and orange cat. Took him over . . . he was big and he was scared and thrashing about the cage. I put a blanket over the cage to help calm him . . when I got to the spca and saw his face I realized the orange was blood. Something -- a dog is my guess -- had that cat's face/head in it's mouth and that cat got away . . . with it's fur ripped off half it's face. Poor, poor thing . . . so sad.

Me too, they didn't do anything wrong. One of them went after a kid and scratched him. Not worth the risk, imo. So I take them to the spca. They determine if the cats are adoptable or not . . . a few have been but most, not. One cat I caught I thought was a black and orange cat. Took him over . . . he was big and he was scared and thrashing about the cage. I put a blanket over the cage to help calm him . . when I got to the spca and saw his face I realized the orange was blood. Something -- a dog is my guess -- had that cat's face/head in it's mouth and that cat got away . . . with it's fur ripped off half it's face. Poor, poor thing . . . so sad.

That is sad. I have found a few good web sites for helping these cats
Friends of Feral Felines - Charlotte NC

Feral Cats : The Humane Society of the United States

Forum List

Back