For the 2010 Census: Name and Address Only

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Kevin_Kennedy, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    For the 2010 Census: Name and Address Only by Paul Galvin

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. JD_2B

JD_2B Little Vixen

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Oh that is a good article.. Thank you for posting it. I am undecided on how to fill my census form out now.

One one hand- There is a point- it is better to just self-govern, and stop letting government have so much info about us.. Besides, they never really ask all the detailed demographic stuff anyways... at least not that I can recall.

On the other hand- it would be kinda nice to have questionnaires in place to where we could even give race, sexual preference, etc, etc, etc.. and even do other survey type things, so that there is no way that the gov't can skew the results. I would like to see this done online, in the future, really.

I also think we should be able to extend our house of representatives.. I am all for smaller government, especially when it comes to weakening the police forces and intelligence departments, but I think that the biggest problem in US enforcing this, is that the reps are having a lot of trouble with keeping the people's freedoms in mind, with such a small congress, relatively speaking. Like, in New York, there is like, what- 3 million people to each representative? How the fuck is that one person supposed to hear that many people?? It is ridiculous. Give us one per million. If 40-50% of the population votes, and only a third to a half of those people are registered to democratic or republican parties, then that leaves each representative with no more than a couple hundred thousand people to listen to. I think that is very workable, and reasonable.

3. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    I guess, according to the author, I am un-American because not only have I not been counted since 1980 -- when I was first able to make the choice -- the sons of bitches will NEVER count me.

Most especially not for 2010.

4. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,394
    I strongly encourage everyone to participate in the census.

Congress relies on the census for purposes of allocating funds under various federal grant programs
    to state governments. Inaccuracies in the census count can cause federal funds to be distributed in a
    way that is not fully consistent with congressional intent. Many state-funded grant programs to localities
    also rely on census counts, compounding the misallocation of grant money. For those jurisdictions
    that are counted relatively poorly by the census, this translates into fewer services for families
    with the greatest needs.

http://govinfo.library.unt.edu/cmb/cmbp/reports/final_report/fin_sec5_effect.pdf

5. judyd

judyd Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Why so much upset over the census? Have you looked at the form on the census site? They really don't ask for a lot of info: who lives in the home, names and ages, do they live part-time somewhere else (so they're not counted twice), age, race, what type of housing is it (own or rent, etc), the relationship between the person completing the form and the others in the household, and a telephone number in case they don't understand your answers. They don't ask if you're employed, unemployed, retired, or anything.

http://www.census.gov/schools/pdf/2010form_info.pdf

6. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,647
    So, if there are enough people like you, your state is underrepresented in the House. OK.

7. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,647
    A House of Rep with 435 barely gets things done now. You want it to be even bigger and even more unweldy. OK>

8. paperview

paperview Life is Good

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,149
    I hope all your conservative friends, relatives and associates do the same thing as you.

Really. I do.

9. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    Since I am not a conservative your idea is kind of moot. Most all of my relatives are blue dog liberals, a good number of my friends as well.

My conservative friends, the few I have, I have been working on them for years. But never discussed the census.

I simply refuse to be counted, especially when you have the attorney general running his mouth saying that people who refuse to cooperate will face jail time. Even though that is the law and always has been the law, he's the first to actually act like it has teeth and make these threats.

10. JD_2B

JD_2B Little Vixen

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +118
    They barely get things done because they are stuck with so many constituents, that I think they must have to ignore the majority of the mailings they receive. The only way to get anything done right in DC is to either hold a grand scale march there protesting, or through expensive lobbyists, who make about 100,000 dollars a year, and can only be hired by people and companies that can afford them.

We cannot pretend to be well represented when we have only one rep to several million people.. And Technically, including senators, there are 535- which is fewer than some graduating high school classes are..

Saying we should keep our representative numbers down (including senate) is like saying that one high school graduating class (not even a whole high school- just the graduating seniors of the one school) could be capable of representing all high school seniors all over the country in an effort to get the opinions of students heard- which we know is just not the case. Do you see what I am saying? I realize it is a bit of a contrived analogy, but the fact remains- the sheer number of people in the US now, compared to the number of citizens we had 200 years ago, has increased exponentially. We NEED better representation, and the only way to ensure that happens is to increase how many people represent us.