For Real Americans, Every Day is Memorial Day!

Vindicator

Rookie
May 30, 2011
I watched "Hallowed Grounds" yesterday and I think it did the best job I've seen of bringing home the message of sacrifice that Americans made for people around the world.

It shows many of the American military cemetaries around the world and gives a short history of most of them.

It is humbling to see the care that foreigners give to the graves of our "sacred dead".

Here's a link to the program:
http://www.pbs.org/programs/hallowed-grounds/

Here's a link to the American Battle Monument Commission that will show the various cemetaries:
American Battle Monuments Commission

"Lest we forget"

I also watched that and was surprised at the number of American cemeteries around the world.
I think it's in Belgium that schools take the kids to view graves and even teach them the Star Spangled Banner in their native language.

I visited the battlefields at Gettysburg yesterday. The battlefields have been restored to the way they looked from photos taken during the Civil War down to planting groves of trees where they once stood and cutting down trees that have grown since.
The population of the town of Gettysburg was 2,000 at the time of the battle. It took them 4 months to bury all of the dead. In 1996, after a rainstorm, a skeleton of a soldier was still found on a battlefield after the ground had eroded away, by a woman walking her dog.
Gettysburg was a jaw-dropping experience. See it if you ever get the chance.

• Banned
I visited the battlefields at Gettysburg yesterday. The battlefields have been restored to the way they looked from photos taken during the Civil War down to planting groves of trees where they once stood and cutting down trees that have grown since.
The population of the town of Gettysburg was 2,000 at the time of the battle. It took them 4 months to bury all of the dead. In 1996, after a rainstorm, a skeleton of a soldier was still found on a battlefield after the ground had eroded away, by a woman walking her dog.

I saw it when I was very young and really didn't appreciate what I was viewing. But I never forgot the "medical instuments", the hand saws that is.:(

I saw it when I was very young and really didn't appreciate what I was viewing. But I never forgot the "medical instuments", the hand saws that is.:(

God help us if we should ever decide to do battle against one another again.

Also, for those who do not know.
The fine people of Gettysburg gave the same reverence to the bodies of Confederate soldiers as they did to the Union soldiers; indicating that an American identity had already formed prior to the Civil War.
Just thought this was worth mentioning.

• Banned
Also, for those who do not know.
The fine people of Gettysburg gave the same reverence to the bodies of Confederate soldiers as they did to the Union soldiers; indicating that an American identity had already formed prior to the Civil War.
Just thought this was worth mentioning.

Yes. At least we didn't burn the bodies like Generalissimo Santa Ana at the Alamo. He was trying to start the first Auschwitz.

Forum List

Back