For Pale Rider, Listening, Conservative, and GHook93...

I'm surprised ghook was dumb enough to take a sucker bet. Well, not really. :D

Apparently, he had no problem taking the bet because he had no intention of honoring it.

-- Paravani

I looked at a few other boards. I still like this one. So I am welching on bet, so shoot me!

Really?? Where is your integrity? Why would you make a bet knowing that you wouldn't honor it?

I still see a lot of the other RWers missing. I expect the closets they are hiding in are becoming very small...

Really?? Where is your integrity? Why would you make a bet knowing that you wouldn't honor it?
He's a Republican.

Conservative honored his bet. The only one out of the 4. Sad.

And unfortunately, he was the only one of the four who was worth talking to.

I'm not feeling good about this bet. I think you should hold anyone who took it harmless from it and just move on.

I like conservative. didn't always agree with him, but he was pretty cool, and he was a Doctor Who fan, so he couldn't have been all bad.

I'm not feeling good about this bet. I think you should hold anyone who took it harmless from it and just move on.

I like conservative. didn't always agree with him, but he was pretty cool, and he was a Doctor Who fan, so he couldn't have been all bad.

Seriously... As a newbie, I have to say...

You all take this forum MUCH too seriously.

Really.

This place could use a whole lot more humor and a whole lot less nastiness. Bitchin' and whining is okay, I guess -- as long as you don't take it too personally when someone pokes fun at your bitchin' and whining.

But this stupid bet business -- honestly, "honoring" it is a losing proposition on both sides no matter how it turns out. Do I need to explain that? Fine, I'll explain it:

No matter which side wins and which side loses, there are only two possible outcomes:

1. The losers take themselves off the board, leaving the winners briefly victorious, but with one less opponent with whom to debate. The losers have been honorable, true; but how much fun is that?

Everybody loses.

2. The losers either ignore the bet entirely or come back to the board after a brief hiatus. They eat a little humble pie (or not), get razzed for "welching" on their bets, and sooner or later everybody forgets about the whole thing except when someone they've offended wants to needle them about it.

From my point of view, in the second scenario everybody wins, because the obnoxious ones who lost the bet are slightly humiliated and everybody gets to remind them -- for a little while, anyway -- that they were wrong, wrong, wrong. The debate on the board is as lively as ever, and the contrast between the reasonable opinions and the unreasonable ones is sharpened by exposure to both.

That's why it's win/win, in my opinion, if the losers welch on their bets.

I admit, I'm selfish. I started this thread specifically to goad the losing bettors into coming back to the forums.

Why?

... Because as a newbie, I haven't had time to become truly disgusted with any of the losers. I've only seen a couple of their most recent offensive posts -- not nearly enough for me to be completely fed up with them and want to see the backs of them forever. I know that many of you oldsters know and despise them far better than I do... but I'd like the chance, at least, to learn to despise them... in time...

So let's hope that they come back, and let's hope that when they do, they make this forum a better place....

... by providing "contrast". :D

-- Paravani

Last edited:
I'm confused, if I make a bet with someone that I will leave this board if the Celtics lose tonight for example, and they lose, how am I a coward for honoring the bet?:confused: As we can see honoring a bet it not as easy as some think it is.

Gravity, I luv ya, but you're taking this board WAY too seriously.

Look, if you bet a dollar on the game and you welch, then it's like stealing because if the other guy had lost you would have taken the dollar from him, right?

But this here is a virtual forum. It has no existence other than a bunch of quantum-electronic on-off switches on a coupla servers in a cool dark room somewhere.

There is NOTHING you can bet here that actually has any real-world value. We are in a room that doesn't exist.

Get it?

So, if you bet that you are, or are not, going to be in this room (that doesn't exist) in the future if some event does or does not happen in the real world (which does exist... I think)...

... Then what, exactly, are you betting, and how would it be "stealing" if you decided not to "honor" that bet?

-- Paravani

I don't look at it in a coward/brave person light, I (like most people who have served in the military) look at it from the side of honor.

Honor to me is very important, and if I bet something and then lose? I pay up.

But, that's just me and HG.

Honor among tools lol

Idiot

So Listening left?

What an asshole that guy was.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but... but...

... If everybody here were nice, and agreed with everybody else, would it be as entertaining as it is?

-- Paravani

Disagreeing is one thing.

Posting obscene insults in every post is something else.

People who do that get put on ignore.

All I can say is welcome back welchers! OK Conservative, you too are welcomed back.
Bets like the one that posters agreed on are just plain stupid. Yeah they made the bet, but they didn't think they'd lose, otherwise these people wouldn't of made the bet. They like coming here.
So we all know they lost the bet, that's enough. We can give them shit like we all do anyway. Hey we're all a big dysfunctional family here with one main thing in common, we like it here! :D

All I can say is welcome back welchers! OK Conservative, you too are welcomed back.
Bets like the one that posters agreed on are just plain stupid. Yeah they made the bet, but they didn't think they'd lose, otherwise these people wouldn't of made the bet. They like coming here.
So we all know they lost the bet, that's enough. We can give them shit like we all do anyway. Hey we're all a big dysfunctional family here with one main thing in common, we like it here! :D

Thanks, Kiwiman!

Yeah, I'll give you rep as soon as it recharges, but since I rep everybody I'm out for now. No problem, it recharges fast.

Thanks for your post, and please accept my friend request? I don't need to ask your political party to see that we are kindred spirits!

-- Paravani

Seriously... As a newbie, I have to say...

You all take this forum MUCH too seriously.

Really.

This place could use a whole lot more humor and a whole lot less nastiness. Bitchin' and whining is okay, I guess -- as long as you don't take it too personally when someone pokes fun at your bitchin' and whining.

But this stupid bet business -- honestly, "honoring" it is a losing proposition on both sides no matter how it turns out. Do I need to explain that? Fine, I'll explain it:

No matter which side wins and which side loses, there are only two possible outcomes:

1. The losers take themselves off the board, leaving the winners briefly victorious, but with one less opponent with whom to debate. The losers have been honorable, true; but how much fun is that?

Everybody loses.

2. The losers either ignore the bet entirely or come back to the board after a brief hiatus. They eat a little humble pie (or not), get razzed for "welching" on their bets, and sooner or later everybody forgets about the whole thing except when someone they've offended wants to needle them about it.

From my point of view, in the second scenario everybody wins, because the obnoxious ones who lost the bet are slightly humiliated and everybody gets to remind them -- for a little while, anyway -- that they were wrong, wrong, wrong. The debate on the board is as lively as ever, and the contrast between the reasonable opinions and the unreasonable ones is sharpened by exposure to both.

That's why it's win/win, in my opinion, if the losers welch on their bets.

I admit, I'm selfish. I started this thread specifically to goad the losing bettors into coming back to the forums.

Why?

... Because as a newbie, I haven't had time to become truly disgusted with any of the losers. I've only seen a couple of their most recent offensive posts -- not nearly enough for me to be completely fed up with them and want to see the backs of them forever. I know that many of you oldsters know and despise them far better than I do... but I'd like the chance, at least, to learn to despise them... in time...

So let's hope that they come back, and let's hope that when they do, they make this forum a better place....

... by providing "contrast". :D

-- Paravani

Who are you? Obviously you have multiple accounts here. What's your other screen name?

Who are you? Obviously you have multiple accounts here. What's your other screen name?

Hi, RDD!

Sorry, this is my first account on USMB.

I have posted liberally for over a decade on another site which shall remain nameless because they kicked me off. (Then they reinstated me... but too late! I'd already found this forum!)

I have a degree in electrical engineering, so of course I know how to use HTML to spice up my posts when necessary... but it usually isn't necessary.

You will see that I have a an administrator on my Friends list... and I have apprised him of the reasons why I was kicked off the other forum. (He says he doesn't care why, and welcome.)

Nice to meet you, BTW! I've been having a really good time with the links you posted in your signature!

-- Paravani

So Listening left?

What an asshole that guy was.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but... but...

... If everybody here were nice, and agreed with everybody else, would it be as entertaining as it is?

-- Paravani

Disagreeing is one thing.

Posting obscene insults in every post is something else.

People who do that get put on ignore.

I understand and agree with your point... but you do know that this is a virtual world?

I mean, do you really understand that everything and anything that is said, or done, or happens here has NO effect on the real world whatsoever, except as each individual decides they want it to affect their world?

All that you can possibly affect here is attitude.

So, while I agree that posting obscenity in every post is offensive and juvenile (mostly juvenile)... I recognize that the only way anyone learns what is mature and what is juvenile is to see examples of both, and decide which example is most admirable and most worth emulating.

To put it succinctly, I try in every respect to be the example that others would like to follow... and to avoid being petty, vindictive, or immature.

-- Paravani

Last edited:

Forum List

Back