For Once

I think there is something wrong is assumed in your assessment, Tree

Many of these "religion bashers" are arguing that you cannot take certain passages literally. They are mainly arguing against those that do.

Well, I think when someone takes the reductionist view that the Bible promotes oppression or violence, they are insisting that a few vestigial passages trump the overall thrust of a collection of ancient stories which tend to uphold the value of the individual. They're failing to comprehend the cited passages in the context of a world that is completely foreign to modern sensibilities. etc.. Making apples to orange comparisons, putting the cart before the horse, moral equivalence, lacking ability to interpret poetry or mythology, etc..

Such critics fail to approach scripture with any form of creative intelligence. They lack any expertise in exegesis or hermeneutics. It's just my opinion, but in my estimation there are legion of religion bashers on the internet who approach scripture with the same level of sophistication (or lack thereof) of a Christian who thinks the Devil put dinosaur bones in the ground.

"It is a mistake to look to the Bible to close a discussion; the Bible seeks to open one." - William Sloane Coffin

That's right!!! I say we just ignore the parts we don't like!

It was God's intent for us to treat each other as we would want to be treated. Stop blaming God for man's decisions. Who in Eden did God enslave?
He removed slaves from their affliction, as in the exodus, and made sure they were adequately paid for their years of "service" before he lead them out.
God is no respecter of persons. He loves ALL of his children. That is God. It is man that causes the problems that God is forced to deal with. God never said, "Let there be slaves."

In the Bible, if the Jews enslaved, then according to God, they were to treat slaves as family members. If there was no son to inherit from the head of the house, then the oldest slave receives the father's inheritance.
God wants none of his children enslaved. Christ sets the captive free.
Satan/Man = slavery,cruelity
God/Christ = loving kindness, brotherly love.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back