For Non-Christians, do you know What the Bible is and What it says?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Neubarth, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Neubarth

Neubarth At the Ballpark July 30th

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Quite frankly, I would never be wrong. I am just telling people what the Bible says. Indeed, it could have errors in it. I have not found any and I have been looking for a long long time. Perhaps you need to know what the Bible is to me and other professors of history.

The Bible is (at the very least) just the collective writings of people who were earnestly seeking after God. It includes the traditional allegorical Creation story that I see as obviously not historical, but an excellent description of the relationship of mankind to God. It best explains why we need God. Without God, society usually decays and evil abounds.

After that, the Bible tells the history of the Jewish people as they remembered it in oral tradition passed on from generation to generation. I suppose there is some way that it could be in error, but all archeological evidence found to date substantiates the Jewish history. There is no refutation from archeology.

After that there are books of songs and poetry. The songs and poetry are beautiful when sung or read in Hebrew. Some of them are pretty darn good as translated into King James English. I am aware that in the translation some of the original intent could have been lost, so I usually look at multiple translations and even paraphrases if I am looking for content, but for the most part I like the linguistic art of those wonderful songs and poems just because they were and are so beautiful and I leave it at that.

THEN COMES THE IMPORTANT PART, THE PROPHECY BOOKS! They start in the Old Testament and continue on through the Revelation of John. In the Middle of the Prophecy books are the New Testament historical books. They show many of the fullfilled Prophecies, so are just where they need to be.

I look at the prophecies and see that they are coming true one after another exactly as predicted. That, to me, is very, very impressive. THE ONLY THINGS THAT HAVE NOT COME TRUE TO DATE ARE THE PROPHECIES FOR THE LAST DAYS. The Last Days are supposed to be the last seven years of the Earth and are also referred to as the Tribulation. Are we in the Last Days? I think so, but there is no way of knowing until one of the prophecies for the Last Days comes true. We could be over three years into the Last Days before we see that happen. You have to know what the prophecies for the last days are. Essentially, I am just waiting and looking, with both fear and anticipation. I believe in a Middle of the Tribulation rapture. Most Christians disagree with me, with the majority of them believing in a Pre Tribulation Rapture.

Still, there is always the possibility that you could be correct and all of this is just foolishness.

If you disagree with what it says in the Bible, and you are right, more power to you.

Of course, if you are wrong, the Bible says you will die in your sins and suffer eternal separation from God and the Family of God.

That, as best I can tell, is what Hell is, Eternal Separation. The Bible says very little about the Hell that all nonbelievers will be sent to after the Last Judgment. Remember that Hell is supposed to be an entirely different place than the place (Sheol) where souls wait prior to the Last Judgment.

The Bible describes the Last Judgment Hell as Outer Darkness. So, as best I can tell, if you die and have refused to receive God into your life, you are banished from the presence of God for all eternity and you soul is sent to a place to be alone for all eternity in total absence of light. Just you and your thoughts for all eternity, no fellowship, no pot, no alcohol, NOTHING!

IF that were me, I'd find the ON - OFF switch and turn OFF my thought process. Hopefully there is one somewhere on the soul.

2. Neubarth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    The Bible is there for all to read.

3. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Not interested coming from you.

4. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,662
    I suppose there is some way that it could be in error, but all archeological evidence found to date substantiates the Jewish history. There is no refutation from archeology.
    --------------------------------

I saw a show(History Channel, I think) highlighting a dig in Israel in which the primary archeologist said that they couldn't find anything to substantiate the "Joshua and the Ten Tribes Conquer Canaan" story. Rather, it seems there was a slow influx of people from the outside intermingling with the Canaanites. While that doesn't prove the Bible wrong on that score, it certainly doesn't help the biblical account.

5. Neubarth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    The Caanites were a result of a constant influx of people. Caanan is located where three continents come together and mass migrations of people have always occurred there.

It is important to note that the professor saying that does not refute the Bible. He was just stating the obvious.

Consider this. The town that they believe to be Jericho most definitely had its walls fall down. When they fell down is open to assumption, but not refutation.

6. Neubarth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Just because you propositioned me in writing on this forum, and I told you as I have told thousands and thousands of women who have done the same that I am married and I totally honor my marriage vows does not mean that I am not an authority on history. My major in history was mass migrations of people. I love that topic and since it overlaps with the Bible, I have read the Bible and found the prophecies. They are most accurate.

7. SmarterThanHick

SmarterThanHick Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240
    So is Harry Potter. Much more interesting too.

8. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    I sometimes find it amusing how some people seem to think archaelogy can disprove or prove what is or isnt true.

I mean achaelogy proves that the location of much of the places in Homer's Illiad and Oddessy are real. Yet, no one proclaims that because the locations are there that the story actually happened.

We have pretty concrete evidence that New York City exists. But we don't presume the Xmen and Spiderman or the Avengers actually fight crime there. Should our descendents conclude that simply because they find references to it in the forementioned comic books and realize that New York City is a real place? The idea is absurd.

Archaelogy can't prove or disprove the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. It's an imperfect science at best that relies heavily on guess work and finding clues which aren't very prevelant anywhere.

Science cannot prove or disprove matters of the Spirit because we don't have instruments that can measure them. My belief in the Bible and other scriptures has not come from science or any sort of blind belief. It's come from personal experience with the Holy Spirit illuminating my mind and showing me things I never even considered before.

I think it's dangerous to rely on the flesh when we are to rely on the Spirit. Experience tells me that the Spirit is never wrong, but science, the wisdom of man, and often our own minds are wrong quite a bit.

I think it's necessary for believers to understand what the Bible is and what it is not before they can convince any nonbelievers what it is.

It is not all there is or ever will be. It is not written by the Hand of God, but by inspired by imperfect men and prone to the corruption any man is given. It is one of the tools, not the only one, that God has given us to lead us to Him. And it doesn't have to be perfect to lead us to a perfect Father in Heaven or to Testify to the truth of Jesus Christ. The Spirit will teach us how to discern truth from fifction.

I fear that too many worship the Bible rather than the God who inspired it. They have more faith in it, than in the God that created them. Remember, the Pharisees put faith in the scriptures, and they missed the Son of God before their very eyes.

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    whose bible? yours or mine?

10. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,899
    You mean like "Genesis" and "Noah's Ark"?

The Bible is made up of letters and stories written over a thousand years by a lot of different people. Plenty in it is bogus.